The General Ross County Chat Thread

11 hours ago, sophia said:

It gives me no pleasure to share the fears of others that recent form roots Ross County at the bottom.

I hope for the sake of highland football that Royston isn't impetuous.

We’re doomed, the grim reaper has arrived....

From my vantage*

County played a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 on Saturday up until the Brophy penalty, with Vigurs in the pocket, Cowie and Tillson as centre-mids and Erwin on the left.  Same shape as against the OF.  Cowie often had to shuttle left to protect the left-back when Erwin didn't track O'Donnell, which might have caused confusion.

When Killie went 2-1 up the shape immediately changed to 4-4-2, with Cowie wide-left until Spittal replaced him. Neither option was satisfactory.

Spoiler

*KillieTV

Edited by bunglebonce

It's a big ask, I know, but I do want to be going to games to enjoy the football rather than just the social aspect. The team were so flat and devoid of any fight, creativity, or plan on Saturday - and it's been like this for almost every game I've seen this season, the last 20 minutes at Easter Road aside. And it's just really alarming that guys like Kettlewell and Ferguson can't get the players looking competitive or tearing opposition players' throats out with their fucking teeth.  Contrast it to last season where they just rarely looked like they'd be beaten - so many times they'd go behind then fight back to get a positive result.

I get it, you can only piss with the cock you've got, but we're getting it all over ourselves at this point in time. 

I think if we were going to change managers at this point it should be being planned already and implemented immediately upon the release of Fergie and ketts. (I’m not calling for their heads yet but it’s something we should be considering already)

Who would everyone want to see?

Robbo across the bridge is doing a brilliant job with little budget and a piss poor team. Wouldn’t need to relocate but would he leave them for us?

It's an absolute disgrace that we never brought a winger in. We deserve everything we get this season.

Ketts and Fergie unfortunately look out of their depth

I'm not calling for their heads but serious questions need to be asked in preparation for next season.

Edited by staggy1929

Fergiewell have been great for the club overall and did well to meet last season's expectations, but realistically I think they need to drop back to coaching roles at the end of the season. In July I said I'd be happy with 10th and I still feel the same, but we really need a change in mentality and a manager that will get the best out of the current squad.

Good dogged performance by the players and probably for the first time since the start of the season, the dynamic duo got the tactics correct. Not worth any congratulations in my opinion.

Tremendous shitehousery in the middle by Vigurs, giving Marvin a few late ones which really upset their flow.

Harry Patons performance again, shows the lack of faith by the management team at the start of the season look ridiculous.

Wing backs performed admirably and the cross that Sean Kelly gave Billy Mackay in the second half was a work of art.

In a whole, the team played as a team and it showed.

Agree with most of humble heart's post but would give credit to the managers for learning from experience and applying that learning perfectly v Livi. The Livi game was not one for the football connoiseur but we successfully out-Livi-ed Livi. 

Concerns were expressed about where Stewart / Mullin / other players would fit in, if we play this shape again. While I think KettleFergs got it absolutely right with this 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 formation, it also suggests that they can adapt the shape etc to different situations. So there will be plenty opportunity for everyone in the squad over the rest of the season.

Agree with most of humble heart's post but would give credit to the managers for learning from experience and applying that learning perfectly v Livi. The Livi game was not one for the football connoiseur but we successfully out-Livi-ed Livi. 

Concerns were expressed about where Stewart / Mullin / other players would fit in, if we play this shape again. While I think KettleFergs got it absolutely right with this 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 formation, it also suggests that they can adapt the shape etc to different situations. So there will be plenty opportunity for everyone in the squad over the rest of the season.

The problem, obviously, is goals. I’d have said Brian Graham was the most reliable goal scorer, but he’s gone. This guy they’ve signed from Hibs never seems to play. I’d be throwing him into every game with Mckay. Erwin doesn’t look like he could score in a month of Sundays.

ETA: haste ye back Ross Stewart.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

The problem, obviously, is goals. I’d have said Brian Graham was the most reliable goal scorer, but he’s gone. This guy they’ve signed from Hibs never seems to play. I’d be throwing him into every game with Mckay. Erwin doesn’t look like he could score in a month of Sundays.

ETA: haste ye back Ross Stewart.

I like Erwin but you're right, we need goals and he doesn't look like scoring, Stewart and Shaw on paper could be a nice partnership. We look toothless going forward though, lost track of the amount of times this season since Stewarts been out that Kelly or Mullin have put a good ball in and no one attacks it.

Erwin is the most obvious example of a "confidence player" I've ever seen. He started off reasonably brightly but by the time he was subbed off he couldn't even control the ball with 3 touches. 

Last night was as bad as I've seen us this season, and there's been plenty to choose from. Absolutely no game plan, no clear shape beyond a back five, and no obvious idea as to what anyone was supposed to be doing. Hibs looked so much better than us, it was like watching fully grown men against a bunch of wee boys.

Chasing a two goal deficit and you bring on Don Cowie jose.png 

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Erwin is the most obvious example of a "confidence player" I've ever seen. He started off reasonably brightly but by the time he was subbed off he couldn't even control the ball with 3 touches. 

Last night was as bad as I've seen us this season, and there's been plenty to choose from. Absolutely no game plan, no clear shape beyond a back five, and no obvious idea as to what anyone was supposed to be doing. Hibs looked so much better than us, it was like watching fully grown men against a bunch of wee boys.

Chasing a two goal deficit and you bring on Don Cowie jose.png 

The five at the back worked against Livi because it gave us the extra man In the centre of the park, We shouldn't think it will work against every side in the division because of that. doesn't seem like there's a leader in the team and it's certainly not Fraser.

We seem to absolutely love standing off teams with good ball playing midfielders. I genuinely do not understand why we seem to afraid to press in the middle of the park.

On 04/02/2020 at 03:18, RossCountyFan14 said:

I think if we were going to change managers at this point it should be being planned already and implemented immediately upon the release of Fergie and ketts. (I’m not calling for their heads yet but it’s something we should be considering already)

Who would everyone want to see?

Robbo across the bridge is doing a brilliant job with little budget and a piss poor team. Wouldn’t need to relocate but would he leave them for us?

On 04/02/2020 at 09:00, staggy1929 said:

It's an absolute disgrace that we never brought a winger in. We deserve everything we get this season.

Ketts and Fergie unfortunately look out of their depth

I'm not calling for their heads but serious questions need to be asked in preparation for next season.

^^^

we deserve better type posts

7 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

If Caley beat us in the playoffs i'm deleting my account

On aggregate or is your offer coherent over the course of 2x45?

More seriously, I wouldn't be so fatalistic, as although it's plain to see that Donaldson's upward transition hasn't been as seamless as his erstwhile teammate Jamie McCart's, I'm sure his inner confidence will see him through.

10 hours ago, sophia said:

On aggregate or is your offer coherent over the course of 2x45?

More seriously, I wouldn't be so fatalistic, as although it's plain to see that Donaldson's upward transition hasn't been as seamless as his erstwhile teammate Jamie McCart's, I'm sure his inner confidence will see him through.

The annoying thing is Donaldson hasn't really been the problem, the offer is if we go down because of caley i'm off