The General Ross County Chat Thread

8 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

So it's agreed then.

We definitely love Ross Stewart.

However I wouldn't be too surprised if Brian Graham starts v an extremely physical Hearts side on Saturday. He likes a bit of physical, just needs to ensure he stays on the park.

It really would be harsh top drop anyone from the accies game!

Graham is more likely to start for me, though Ross is big he's also skinny and Berra and Souttar will spend the whole game booting him in the air.

4 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

It really would be harsh top drop anyone from the accies game!

I reckon the gaffers will select according to the anticipated opposition, and also consider players in decent form who are needing game time.

We need as far as possible a whole match-fit squad to make it through the season.

Have we ever been in such a position where we have been blessed with such talent and form in depths within the squad? There does not seem to be a weak link at the moment and the positivity around the club is palpable. All the good omens are there for us to have a great season and really cement ourselves in this league, but it will take a large commitment from a Uncle Roy to keep hold of this squad for more than another season.

As for Hearts, I reckon we will start with a Graham/McKay front line. Very harsh on Big Ross as he has been in tremendous form recently, but as stated earlier we need a bit of bully and graft up front and Brian certainly offers that. Also Hearts are very flat footed when it comes to playing the ball low and fast in and around the box, so to have two strikers who thrive on low balls and playing it on the deck, we should have more than ample opportunities to punish their defence.

It will also be good to see my good friend Colin Doyle in goal against Hearts, if indeed he does get a game. A great keeper and someone I was surprised we didn't consider as an option for first choice this season. Could be a good option if Baxter does not return north?

1 hour ago, stagdhu said:

It will also be good to see my good friend Colin Doyle in goal against Hearts, if indeed he does get a game. A great keeper and someone I was surprised we didn't consider as an option for first choice this season. Could be a good option if Baxter does not return north?

Baxter is already back in Dingwall. Don't know if its just a  visit, but good sign nonetheless. 

Ketts and Fergie deserve credit for all their signings. Wasn’t really that impressed when we signed Stewart and joe Chalmers but happy to take pelters for that, Some form Ross is in and what a shift from Chalmers on Saturday [emoji1319] can’t wait to see what this squad will do next July in some absolute den in Estonia on a Thursday night for Europa league qualification [emoji7]

In all seriousness though, despite the ticket fiasco, I hope we bring a sizeable support down to hearts this weekend, real chance of getting points here, they haven’t been great!

We could honestly be 4 or 5 up by now. Poor finishing and wasted chances meant we haven't scored yet. The Hearts keeper is one of the worst I've seen in a while. We have been playing well and look the better side for most of the game. We just need to start taking our chances and we will be winning these games comfortably. Promising signs though.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Josh Mullin by the way. What a fucking player. There’s absolutely no chance he’ll be here this time next year.

Like Jackson, Boyce and Naismith I agree. He'll be England bound most likely. 

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Josh Mullin by the way. What a fucking player. There’s absolutely no chance he’ll be here this time next year.

I have to say I agree, however the business side of me suggests that if Roy and indeed the club as a whole are serious about cementing ourselves in the Premiership and building a solid foundation to mount challenges for silverware regularly, then Josh is exactly the type of player we should do all we can to keep. Yes, half a million or whatever is a big sum for a club of our size, but none of our players who have moved south have exactly become stars. 

Plus we will need tricky wingers for the Champions League......

15 hours ago, stagdhu said:

I have to say I agree, however the business side of me suggests that if Roy and indeed the club as a whole are serious about cementing ourselves in the Premiership and building a solid foundation to mount challenges for silverware regularly, then Josh is exactly the type of player we should do all we can to keep. Yes, half a million or whatever is a big sum for a club of our size, but none of our players who have moved south have exactly become stars. 

Plus we will need tricky wingers for the Champions League......

We can't compete with the wages and opportunities available when an English team comes for our players. We're way down the food chain. But it's no bad thing if the club & coaches can spot potential and improve players to the point where - having done a great job for us - we can't hold onto them.

2 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

We can't compete with the wages and opportunities available when an English team comes for our players. We're way down the food chain. But it's no bad thing if the club & coaches can spot potential and improve players to the point where - having done a great job for us - we can't hold onto them.

Indeed, but in terms of improving their game and moving to a higher standard of football, I don't think that League 1 or half of the teams in the Championship down south are any better than the Premiership up here. You could argue that it gives players a bigger chance to be spotted by Premier League teams but can you name the last time one of those teams recruited directly from L1/2? Perhaps if you are a teenager with good potential, but not an established player from up here

2 hours ago, stagdhu said:

Indeed, but in terms of improving their game and moving to a higher standard of football, I don't think that League 1 or half of the teams in the Championship down south are any better than the Premiership up here. You could argue that it gives players a bigger chance to be spotted by Premier League teams but can you name the last time one of those teams recruited directly from L1/2? Perhaps if you are a teenager with good potential, but not an established player from up here

But the wages are literally ten times higher. You're not going to convince someone to stay here if they can make ten times the money somewhere else. 

Very impressed with the County performance on Sat, very unlucky to not take three points considering we hit the post about three times. Hearts were awful, but Fontaine, Mullin and Stewart were the standouts for me. Hopefully Vigurs is alright, would be typical if he's crocked two games into the league.

I think a special mention needs to go to Marcus Fraser, I've been fairly critical of his lack of support going forward, especially last season when he had very few left wingers of any ability to trouble him.

But on Saturday against Hearts, it was Fraser taking a chance and overlapping down the right that won us the penalty. Also it was a beautiful cross from deep by Fraser that set up Stewart, for what was imo our best chance of the game but Stewart lifted it over a gaping goal.

Adding an extra player to the attack like that causes all sorts of trouble for the opposition. Hearts two best moments were when Halkett then White ran forward.

44 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I think a special mention needs to go to Marcus Fraser, I've been fairly critical of his lack of support going forward, especially last season when he had very few left wingers of any ability to trouble him.

But on Saturday against Hearts, it was Fraser taking a chance and overlapping down the right that won us the penalty. Also it was a beautiful cross from deep by Fraser that set up Stewart, for what was imo our best chance of the game but Stewart lifted it over a gaping goal.

Adding an extra player to the attack like that causes all sorts of trouble for the opposition. Hearts two best moments were when Halkett then White ran forward.

Said on the County FB page, he's starting to look more like the player of 3/4 seasons ago. Doesn't look anywhere near as nervous as has done over the last 24 months and that's great to see. Him back at his best and Mullin down the right would be something teams in the top flight should be wary of.