The General Ross County Chat Thread

Really quite excited by the Erwin signing. Always thought he had a great football brain and the right work rate to become a top class striker, given the opportunity I hope he succeeds with us. I spoke to a few Leeds fans today who were saying he was held in high regard by the vast majority of their fans, and feel he was unlucky not to be given a decent chance with them (mix of tactics/managerial changes/form of others apparently). Echoed mostly the sentiments given by Well/Killie fans tbh. Hope he can kick on from here and get his career going again with us

I’m sure some people may know, but for those who don’t there is a new Fantasy football Scotland app, I will leave the link to the app on Apple devices below, on Android just type in Fantasy football Scotland and it should pop up

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fantasy-football-scotland/id1469063365

I have created a league for all Pie and Bovril users if anyone wants to join, we already have around 30 people in the league just from the initial thread so hopefully we can get more, the code to join the league is

PRANJXBW

Hopefully we can get a good amount of people in :)

Does our current system work without Lindsay?

I'd suggest we play something along the lines of 

Laidlaw

Fraser Watson Grivo Kelly 

Mullin   Draper   Spittal   Gardyne

McKay

Erwin

Harsh on Stewart leaving him out but with the players we have I think that's our best 11.

(a fully fit vigurs strolls into that team but feel like he's still a yard or two off it)

Does our current system work without Lindsay?
I'd suggest we play something along the lines of 

Laidlaw
        Fraser Watson Grivo Kelly 
Mullin   Draper   Spittal   Gardyne
                     McKay
                                  Erwin

Harsh on Stewart leaving him out but with the players we have I think that's our best 11.
(a fully fit vigurs strolls into that team but feel like he's still a yard or two off it)

Yet Draper, who seems to be very injured, gets in? Draper and Vigurs both start in County’s best XI for me.

I think Spittal will replace Lindsay just fine. Lindsay had an excellent season, but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yet Draper, who seems to be very injured, gets in? Draper and Vigurs both start in County’s best XI for me.

I think Spittal will replace Lindsay just fine. Lindsay had an excellent season, but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

Draper is the only central player we have that does what he does, if we are still to get another signing in i'd prefer us to go for a Draper type of player for when he breaks down mid season.  Never seen a county side this bad for injuries.

Spittal I agree looks like he could be used in Lindsay's role.

Too early for Paton to step up?

Edited by staggy1929

Spence is the closest to Draper in terms of doing the dirty work, but doesn't have his overwhelming presence. Draper/Spence and Vigurs/Spittal would be the logical four fighting for the midfield berths at the minute with Paton and Chalmers also in consideration.

2 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Vigurs has A LOT to do to prove he's a contender for a start, he looks well off the pace atm

I agree, he's clearly the most technically gifted midfielder we have and you see it when he has time to pick a pass, he does seem like his fitness isn't the best at the minute though.

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Grivosti tried out in the Draper role if they aren’t going to replace anyone.

Well they tried him at RB for seemingly no reason, so might as well give it a go! 

Ive been quite impressed with what I’ve seen of Spittal, considering the tutting and sucking of teeth going on from the Partick fans when we signed him. We seem to have a fair pile of forwards at the moment, though. Was surprised to see another come in, especially since he’s not a huge departure from what we have already! Interesting to see if anyone else leaves, even on loan?

Imagine Dekkers will be going. Instead of another forward, I'd rather have had a left-back to replace Kelly (did VDW play at all pre-season?) and a backup/replacement at RB. With four forwards in the squad, seems that we'll likely be playing two up top - we definitely were more of a threat against Saints when we switched to 442, but we need all the help we can get in midfield so that might leave us toiling against the top six.

Agree with yous, Grivo as a DM might be a good shout - backup for when Draper inevitably crocks himself, but definitely much better suited to the middle of the park. Fontaine looked *slow* against Saints, I don't know if he'd be a starter for me.

7 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Yes it would imo

In what way? My way of thinking is it removes the full backs (our weakest area imo) and let’s us play all of grivosti , fonts and Watson 

Edited by Rcfc fan

I think one of the problems with 352 is it lets other teams double up on wingbacks, and reduces our attacking threat (all the more significant if its Mullin, arguably our biggest threat going forward, having to spend time defending the right flank against two left sided players)

Could be a time and place for it tho.

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

In what way? My way of thinking is it removes the full backs (our weakest area imo) and let’s us play all of grivosti , fonts and Watson 

It would potentially involve Midge at wing back. Shay Logan would be licking his lips in anticipation about that, as well as others.