The General Ross County Chat Thread

Wow at ht in the st J match, Grivosti is never a right back, Fontaine keeps getting caugh in possession or just generally way off the pace at centre half, Laidlaw looks very ropey and where's our midfield too, they seem too easily beaten or give possession away far too cheaply. 

There's a lot of improvement to come from this team.

Wow at ht in the st J match, Grivosti is never a right back, Fontaine keeps getting caugh in possession or just generally way off the pace at centre half, Laidlaw looks very ropey and where's our midfield too, they seem too easily beaten or give possession away far too cheaply. 
There's a lot of improvement to come from this team.

To be positive, even though our squad is a mess, Blair Spittal looks better than advertised. Passes like that will do nicely if he’s going to replace Lindsay.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

To be positive, even though our squad is a mess, Blair Spittal looks better than advertised. Passes like that will do nicely if he’s going to replace Lindsay.

Yeah what I've said is pretty negative in a match we're currently 2-1 up in.

I'd agree Spittal Watson Stewart and McKay have been all been good. Defence has been a joke though. 

Spittal looks like he's got an eye for a pass. He's also got more energy than Vigurs, so he looks the most likely to be the direct replacement for Linsday. Spence is too much of a grafter to do that role for me.

A midfield with both Chalmers and Vigurs doesn't work for me. Two players who try and do similar things, (aside from Vigurs has a no-look 50 yard through ball in the locker)

from what I've seen so far i'd say if Lindsay goes we're looking at a midfield of Draper, Spittal and Vigurs. 

Saturday raised a few red flags despite the win.

Grivosti is never a full back. 

Fontaine looked tired and leggy.

Despite that, Spittal looks great! And we have forwards in McKay and Stewart who I think can do damage at this level given the right service.

Was there yesterday, agree with all that's been said. Grivo wasn't great at right-back, Fontaine looked tired, Spittal out-performed my expectations and we were lucky to win. First half performance before moving to a 442 was awful. Second half was better, but Saints will definitely feel that they could have won.

Standard Bobby Madden  - both very soft penalties, and totally inconsistent as usual. Lets some things go, then flags for a much slighter infringement two seconds later.

Is Grivosti really our second best right back? I think we still need to strengthen at full back, although I’m not sure if we’ll see any more business in this window? I liked the sound of the kid from Newcastle we were tenuously linked with a couple of weeks ago?

6 minutes ago, Stub Acme said:

Is Grivosti really our second best right back? I think we still need to strengthen at full back, although I’m not sure if we’ll see any more business in this window? I liked the sound of the kid from Newcastle we were tenuously linked with a couple of weeks ago?

Not sure why we're playing Grivo there when we've got two natural right backs in Watson and Fraser.

Imo the problem is that Watson is our best centre half at the moment. Even yesterday when our back 5 looked very shaky (to put it mildly) Watson was the one covering when Fontaine and Grivosti were beaten or caught on the ball. 

But if Fraser is out or off form, it's a double negative to remove Watson from the centre back pairing to play right back. One things for sure, there's a lot of work still to be done with this squad and Grivosti isn't a right back. 

FWIW my first pick back four with our current squad would be:

Fraser, Watson, Morris, Chalmers 

12 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Imo the problem is that Watson is our best centre half at the moment. Even yesterday when our back 5 looked very shaky (to put it mildly) Watson was the one covering when Fontaine and Grivosti were beaten or caught on the ball. 

But if Fraser is out or off form, it's a double negative to remove Watson from the centre back pairing to play right back. One things for sure, there's a lot of work still to be done with this squad and Grivosti isn't a right back. 

FWIW my first pick back four with our current squad would be:

Fraser, Watson, Morris, Chalmers 

wow we are light at left back 😐

I think we are in need of a left back, goalkeeper and a striker if we are playing with 2 up front 

What’s the story with Draper? If he’s out for an extended period, we’re extremely short in there as well. One left back, one goalkeeper, one hard b*****d central midfielder, one nippy striker.

I prefer this to throwing money at a bloated squad, but there are limits on what you can expect one player to do.

7 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Some talk about maybe Fyvie signing.

Anyone else heard anything?

He was at McDiarmid yesterday, and central midfield is literally the only position we have depth.

Cowie, Draper, and Spence appear to still be injured. We had no option really with the players available to us on Sunday that could play centre mid. Paton isn't good enough for the top flight.

There's not a chance we'd be playing a centre two of Vigurs and Chalmers if everyone is available.