The General Ross County Chat Thread

Already on County's website:

Stuart Kettlewell & Steven Ferguson deployed the troops to matches at Forres & Nairn this afternoon with two impressive victories coming from both matches.

At Mosset Park, Forres, the Staggies took part in a testimonial match for long serving Ross MacPherson. In what was a superb atmosphere the Staggies ran rampant with an 11-0 victory over their Highland League counterparts. Keith Watson opened the scoring before Declan McManus grabbed 4 and Brian Graham knocked in 3.  Paton, Murray and Armstrong rounded off the scoring on a very impressive Staggies performance.

Only a few miles further West, another Staggies XI managed a 3-0 victory over Ronnie Sharp’s Nairn County. Returning from injury, Billy McKay scored in between strikes from Ross Stewart and Joel MacBeath.

The Players and Management would like to thank both teams, their committees and supporters for a very warm welcome this afternoon and for providing great, competitive matches for both the home and away fans. The club also thanks Ross MacPherson for selecting us as opponents in such an important match for him. All the very best in your testimonial season from all at Ross County Football Club.

Finally a big thank you to all the Staggies fans that travelled to both Nairn and Forres to cheer us on today. Our club is built on your support.

£9 in Nairn compared to the £8 of Forres for 8 less goals.

The game itself wasn’t too bad. A couple of meaty tackles, some flashes of neat play from County with a number of young boys getting a chance. Thought Midge was a cut above, Ross Stewart was looking extremely sharp and Laidlaw is a very good shot stopper. Only a pre season friendly but dribs and drabs of it were enjoyable. Looking forward to the Betfred now.

Was at Forres, pretty impressive performance from County. Paton in particular shone, speed, passing and good reading of the game , is he strong enough for the premiership? We’ll find out but a talented footballer in any case. With all respect to Forres they didn’t seem up t9 the game unlike most friendless that I’ve seen with HL teams. Senior payers like Vigurs, Fontaine and Graham strolled it. all in all a good run pit fo4 the start of the season.

I would be very surprised if we don't finish in the top four after yesterday's results.

I think you’re underestimating us here. Anything below top spot could, and should, be considered an unsuccessful season after yesterday’s drubbing of two world powerhouses.

Falkirk fans seem to think hes heading back there but I wouldn't have thought you'd let him play in the Seaside Leagues unless you knew you were getting rid next summer.

On 25/06/2019 at 05:54, Comrie said:

Surprised to see Semple go, as I thought he was one signed for the future.

Needs to get game time and after an impressive 6 months at Queens he is well thought of there. So its back to Dumfries for me although I wish County every success this season.  A really fine club and I have enjoyed the hospitality

Another surprise if DKD leaves- obviously the gaffers feel he'd be a squad player again. Maybe the Championship will turn out to be his level, which is disappointing after he was one of the few highlights of 2017/2018.

34 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Another surprise if DKD leaves- obviously the gaffers feel he'd be a squad player again. Maybe the Championship will turn out to be his level, which is disappointing after he was one of the few highlights of 2017/2018.

He might be one of the players - along with Simple - who Ferguson implied wasn't prepared to fight for his place/wasn't able to offer enough.   I'm 90% certain they weren't expecting Semple to leave.

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He might be one of the players - along with Simple - who Ferguson implied wasn't prepared to fight for his place/wasn't able to offer enough.   I'm 90% certain they weren't expecting Semple to leave.

In Semple case it is very straight forward. At 20 years old does he play 7 or 8 Premiership games or play 40 to 50 games in the Championship this season?

That was the choice he had ..... Given to him by the club, and all credit to the club and managers for thinking about the players development.

Thankfully he decided that playing football matches is more important than sitting in the stands.

At 20 years old it is about getting as many first team games as possible. 

County would certainly have been more surprised if he had decided to sit in the stands every week picking up his salary.