The General Ross County Chat Thread

10 hours ago, Comrie said:

Honestly could have sworn he started one game at centre half before being switched out to right back.

I'll stand corrected.

He moved to centre back in the 1-1 game at Falkirk after Draper was sent off.   Vigurs scored late on to equalise .

Stelios was dropped (from righback) after that as Fraser came back the following week against ict, Fraser was roasted and spread on toast by Doran foe 90 mins in that 2-2 draw but kept his place for the remainder of the season.

Much like Ricky Foster when he was with us, I think Stelios was our best left & right back last season. 

Plus imo, it's only because we are sooooo $hite at left back that no one seems to mention how poor we also are at right back, is there credible competition for Fraser as I think we are still very vulnerable on either flank.

45 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

He moved to centre back in the 1-1 game at Falkirk after Draper was sent off.   Vigurs scored late on to equalise .

Stelios was dropped (from righback) after that as Fraser came back the following week against ict, Fraser was roasted and spread on toast by Doran foe 90 mins in that 2-2 draw but kept his place for the remainder of the season.

Much like Ricky Foster when he was with us, I think Stelios was our best left & right back last season. 

Plus imo, it's only because we are sooooo $hite at left back that no one seems to mention how poor we also are at right back, is there credible competition for Fraser as I think we are still very vulnerable on either flank.

Watson was signed as a right back, but played pretty much all season at centre back because of injuries.  Looking back, it's absolutely unreal how many long term injuries there were.

I think Grivosti has played himself into the first team squad on merit, maybe even the first XI on merit, and that'll allow Watson to go back to right back. He and Fraser are a pretty solid combination for that spot, I feel.

I am 98% convinced that Watson (while starting his career as a right-back) was signed to play centre-back who can fill at right-back, who prefers to play centre-back and there is no doubt that he is better there.

There’s certainly is a question if he’s better there... he gets caught under the ball far too often for one thing.

Watson looked completely finished as a top level right back when he was with us. He got obliterated (and that's not me over selling it) by Miles Storey in his final appearance there.

Maybe hes regained two yards of pace with playing regularly though.

55 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There’s certainly is a question if he’s better there... he gets caught under the ball far too often for one thing.

A regular occurance in the first half of the season, but I don't remember it happening in the second half when he was (IMO) our most consistent player.

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I am 98% convinced that Watson (while starting his career as a right-back) was signed to play centre-back who can fill at right-back, who prefers to play centre-back and there is no doubt that he is better there.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Watson looked completely finished as a top level right back when he was with us. He got obliterated (and that's not me over selling it) by Miles Storey in his final appearance there.

Maybe hes regained two yards of pace with playing regularly though.

I'm fully in agreement with BB's post, Watson was signed for / is fully expected to play through the middle, right back maybe as cover if required. 

Last season we had Fraser, Stelios, Grivosti, Cowie (maybe just a cup game) all play right full back.  I think most of us would agree that Fraser is first pick at the moment but IMO he's had a poor couple of seasons playing there since Naismith departed down south. Fraser has been more  of a liability than an asset to the team and I fear for us next season in both on the right and left full back areas.

Were does the 18yo Tom Kelly play?  He's featured a bit on the bench but I've never seen him play, is he a serious contender/prospect ,or just a bench filler?

Anyway as the squad stands, imo Kenny VDW and Marcus Fraser are our best full backs.  Sean Kelly is an option at LB but that's us, there are no other full backs in contention and that's a pretty worrying situation going into a higher division.

Just now, SueSue said:

I still think the defence and the players there is could be set up at 3 CBs with 2 wingbacks.

Similar to Livi set up last season which, when they had less of the ball worked very well for them.

Okay then, well if fit we have plenty of depth for the three CB positions but again who from the current squad would be competing for the two wing back positions?  We're still lacking imo.

I'm generally not a big fan of 352, I think we'll be more 4141 or 4132 this season but these thing adapt from game to game.

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Okay then, well if fit we have plenty of depth for the three CB positions but again who from the current squad would be competing for the two wing back positions?  We're still lacking imo.

I'm generally not a big fan of 352, I think we'll be more 4141 or 4132 this season but these thing adapt from game to game.

There will be games with a defensive 3 CBs and two full backs playing in a 5 could be used. 

I know it’s defensive but I can see it being used.

As for wing backs in the current squad , I can see any of our wide attacking players doing a decent job.

Watson and Fraser are clearly seen as the right back options.

As I have mentioned before, the managers obviously rate Fraser. Hence giving him Captain duties.

There is not a cat in hells chance he is not seen as first choice RB. 

15 hours ago, SueSue said:

Watson and Fraser are clearly seen as the right back options.

As I have mentioned before, the managers obviously rate Fraser. Hence giving him Captain duties.

There is not a cat in hells chance he is not seen as first choice RB. 

If Fraser can get his form and confidence back he's worthy of the captaincy and will have the position nailed on. He hasn't sparkled this season (injuries maybe) but he has it in him.

Edited by Comrie

29 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Welcome back. Looking forward to my first trip to Dingwall next season. Are you guys optimistic for the season ahead?

Optimistic, not really.

As per the discussion above, both our left and right full backs were getting roasted against Championship wingers last season and we don't seem to be strengthening these areas. 

Also we still need a first choice keeper to replace Fox.

Other than that we're looking okay I'd say.

36 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Welcome back. Looking forward to my first trip to Dingwall next season. Are you guys optimistic for the season ahead?

Oh meant to add, if you making your way up to Viccy Park be sure to try the Haggis pies and Venison pies, they're fucking excellent. I'm sure this'll be mentioned on the match threads once the games come round though.

How about you guys, is Levien going upstairs or staying in the dugout? Tynecastle is always a ground I try to make it to, the in laws are all jambos and are a pretty sound bunch.

On 08/06/2019 at 09:42, frankthetank22 said:

Draper's only sending off was his second yellow at home to Partick Thistle in injury time.  Stelios played at right-back the whole night at Falkirk as far as I can remember (watched it on FalkirkTV), and there are no records of a sending off in that match on BBC, Soccerway etc (and most definitively in dd's summary).  If Stelios played at CB maybe there was a shift to a back three once McManus was brought on but I can't remember that detail in all honesty (dd's reference to a change of shape as far as I can remember was from 4-5-1 to a lopsided 442 with no left winger).

ETA: Agree with your sentiment on full-back positions.

Edited by bunglebonce

I'd be having vdW at left-back over Kelly any day. Really didn't rate Kelly this past season, don't think he's Premier level. Grivo is definitely not far from a starting spot, I was very impressed with him this year and I'm chuffed that we've resigned him. Not super inspired by Laidlaw and Spittal signings, but I suppose we're limited by money as usual, so we need to make the best of what we've got.

Avoiding relegation this year is the aim, 10th would be a pretty good result as far as I'm concerned but it really does depend on Accies/Livi/St. Mirren being shite rather than us being good.

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Draper's only sending off was his second yellow at home to Partick Thistle in injury time.  Stelios played at right-back the whole night at Falkirk as far as I can remember (watched it on FalkirkTV), and there are no records of a sending off in that match on BBC, Soccerway etc (and most definitively in dd's summary).  If Stelios played at CB maybe there was a shift to a back three once McManus was brought on but I can't remember that detail in all honesty (dd's reference to a change of shape as far as I can remember was from 4-5-1 to a lopsided 442 with no left winger).

ETA: Agree with your sentiment on full-back positions.

That falkirk game was when draper scored an og, he wasn't sent off.  Must have been a daydream I had about County defensive formations (exciting stuff eh) but I'd thought I'd seen Stelios through the middle at some point.

I like Fraser, I just wish we had serious competition for him for the right back slot as I think this may push and improve him. As for left back, we need a new first choice for that position but I think our managers are happy with Kelly as first pick, I hope I'm wrong.