The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

11.PNG.1b7bbcb2ce5c178e79e1a75f42b33bd3.PNG

An attempt to see the options in the squad and a likely first XI on a 433/4141 shape.  Toss of a coin between Kelly and VdW and there are plenty options at centre-back.

Basically the same side as last season.

51 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Basically the same side as last season.

Even allowing for Fox in goal, at no time last season did that starting XI play in a match. 

Having Vigurs McKay Draper and Fontaine fit and playing is huge for us. Something we just never managed at all last season.

Unless someone is leaving there's absolutely no reason to sign Donaldson, well not unless he can play left back!

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

A three way fight at LB between Chalmers, VDW and Kelly in the top flight gives me the fear. Teams will attack that side repeatedly.

Michael O'Halloran/Drey Wright likes this. 

There is an option of 3 5 2

CB options are Fontaine, Morris, Watson, Grivosti, Semple so it would be VDW resigning or a new Signing. 

After last season 6 CBS will be required.

A new keeper is essential IMO.

As far as I know Paton has signed for another year.

i don’t see the squad being light. I think it is the size that keeps every player involved .

Also has a good mix of experience and youth.

4 minutes ago, SueSue said:

There is an option of 3 5 2

CB options are Fontaine, Morris, Watson, Grivosti, Semple so it would be VDW resigning or a new Signing. 

After last season 6 CBS will be required.

A new keeper is essential IMO.

As far as I know Paton has signed for another year.

i don’t see the squad being light. I think it is the size that keeps every player involved .

Also has a good mix of experience and youth.

Van Der Weg and Spence, whom I notice BB has omitted, are both signed up for next season.

There will be games where the bite and dig of a possible Spence/Lindsay/Draper midfield will be absolutely neccessary, 

Edited by Comrie

So the plan is to trust the title winning squad and not add any real quality or depth to key positions. 

I can forsee a January bailout 

Edited by tintax

To be fair, might still plenty of time for us, Hamilton, Livi and St. Mirren to bring in players. That will be the important mini-league.

1 hour ago, tintax said:

So the plan is to trust the title winning squad and not add any real quality or depth to key positions. 

I can forsee a January bailout 

The quality and depth comes from the likes of McKay, Fontaine, Draper, Vigors who all missed the majority of the season and show faith in the rest of the squad that won promotion.

Whether these plans are going to work or not we will see.

One thing is for sure, with the numbers already signed up there isn’t many more to come in.

Much to my surprise I feel strangely positive about this season. The focus is on the team rather than individuals, no marquee signings and dependence on them coming good. A couple of gaps, left back and keeper are obvious ones but cover in most places. It’s about survival rather than top six, but let’s see what happens.

23 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Much to my surprise I feel strangely positive about this season. The focus is on the team rather than individuals, no marquee signings and dependence on them coming good. A couple of gaps, left back and keeper are obvious ones but cover in most places. It’s about survival rather than top six, but let’s see what happens.

Me too.  The managers are deliberately focusing on coaching the best out of the existing squad. I'm optimistic that they can do that and look forward to seeing how competitive it can be.

Spoiler

Left-back and upgrading on Fox are concerns for me though.

Edited by bunglebonce

I’m fairly confident the squad we have can compete against bottom half teams and maybe enough to beat livi and Hamilton, st Mirren will be better this year under Oran’s signings for sure. Hamilton have also made some decent signings too.

I really think if we just went out this window and only bought one player, a good left back and no one else, then most would be pretty happy with that although now we need a keeper too. Instead we’ve signed kind of meh players who I’d argue wouldn’t be first choice for us last season in the championship. But it’s still only June and will give every signing the time of day. Laidlaw seems to be moving his family north which is a great sign of commitment. Spittal is a young player with talent and hopefully the gaffers can coach him well and make him consistent. Chalmers I don’t really get as a signing but players POTY with caley counts for more than fans I guess.

I had doubts about the gaffers signing Lewis Spence but he seemed to improve every week so I have faith.

I think that a Left Back is now a priority. I have a  feeling that the managers really rate Sean Kelly (I actually don't mind him on the ball but off it he's a bombscare) so I can see them bringing a goalkeeper and a forward in then leaving the squad as is until January.

10th is 100% the aim going by our business so far.