The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He plays wide right, right?

If so, he’s a back up.

Wide right is his worst position, he completely disappears from the game. If you play him anywhere it should be in the middle where he’s more likely to get involved. If you’ve signed him as a right winger you’re in trouble. 

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

Laidlaw will surprise you I think. He's a good 'keeper, come on a lot since he was young and a bit error prone. Gets a harsh press.

Spittal seems like a waste or money I reckon, he doesn't suit your style at all. I can see why Livi are trying to avoid the Scottish market where they can.

Don't think we were ever even in for Spittal as well. No chance we'd even be thinking about throwing 800+ p/w at him when we can shop elsewhere better value for money

13 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I hope not, DKD should be a mile away from the first team. 

I would agree, Midge is the #1 choice for that position.

I'm not sure how Spittal is an upgrade on DKD, though as others have said playing him on the right wing is not a good idea, even if I have seen him pull off some decent  crosses.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

I would agree, Midge is the #1 choice for that position.

I'm not sure how Spittal is an upgrade on DKD, though as others have said playing him on the right wing is not a good idea, even if I have seen him pull off some decent  crosses.

Spittal is an upgrade on DKD because he has significantly more experience at a significantly higher level despite the fact they are the same age. I agree Spittal has some developing still to do and needs to be much more consistent but he's still only 23 and he's shown far, far more to date than DKD has.

I can't understand the love for DKD, if he had anything to offer he wouldn't have been shipped off to Falkirk last season when we were in the middle of an injury crisis. He needs to spend less time in nandos and more time on the training park, only then will he have a chance to meet his "potential". 

9 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Spittal is an upgrade on DKD because he has significantly more experience at a significantly higher level despite the fact they are the same age. I agree Spittal has some developing still to do and needs to be much more consistent but he's still only 23 and he's shown far, far more to date than DKD has.

I can't understand the love for DKD, if he had anything to offer he wouldn't have been shipped off to Falkirk last season when we were in the middle of an injury crisis. He needs to spend less time in nandos and more time on the training park, only then will he have a chance to meet his "potential". 

DKD is two years younger than Spittal.  

Not sure why he’s only been offered a year though. If the management team think he’s a youngster with promise, surely a 2 year minimum would’ve been offered to try and get money for him down the road? They either don’t rate him significantly or aren’t the brightest

10 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

Not sure why he’s only been offered a year though. If the management team think he’s a youngster with promise, surely a 2 year minimum would’ve been offered to try and get money for him down the road? They either don’t rate him significantly or aren’t the brightest

Or his agent advised him that with a good season behind him he would be free* to go on to better things.  Maybe a longer deal was offered, we’ll never know.

*subject to development fee

Edited by bunglebonce

25 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

You realise players do get a say in negotiations dont you?

He could easily refuse anything longer than a year.

Considering I'd heared (unconfirmed) rumbles that Grivosti had said no to a two year deal, the one year isn't surprising. He'll be waiting to see where we end up next season on the advice of his agent.

A bit of insight into the shape of the squad in today's P&J piece.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/1765432/county-confident-of-securing-pair-on-new-deals/

The implication being that they are close to completing the squad(!).  Assuming Billy Mckay re-signs and they get another 'keeper, they will be looking for one more signing.  What position would that be for?

I like to think that I'm usually on top of news on squad status, but last summer's vague announcements have made that very difficult.

A bit of insight into the shape of the squad in today's P&J piece.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/1765432/county-confident-of-securing-pair-on-new-deals/

The implication being that they are close to completing the squad(!).  Assuming Billy Mckay re-signs and they get another 'keeper, they will be looking for one more signing.  What position would that be for?

I like to think that I'm usually on top of news on squad status, but last summer's vague announcements have made that very difficult.

Guess Harry Paton‘ s not coming back then.

I have to say I was under the impression the players they’d brought in were supplementary pieces. I’m glad they aren’t throwing money around (until January), but the squad needs a number one keeper, a left back, a centre back and arguably a number 10. It’s a very light squad.

Edit: but were I forced to sign only one player, I’d have to sign a full back or a 10.

11.PNG.1b7bbcb2ce5c178e79e1a75f42b33bd3.PNG

An attempt to see the options in the squad and a likely first XI on a 433/4141 shape.  Toss of a coin between Kelly and VdW and there are plenty options at centre-back.

ETA: Forgot about Spence at centre-mid.

Edited by bunglebonce

A three way fight at LB between Chalmers, VDW and Kelly in the top flight gives me the fear. Teams will attack that side repeatedly.

Edited by Comrie

Yep. If you play Chalmers at LB then you deserve everything you get.  He can't defend for toffee, and that's in the second tier.