The General Ross County Chat Thread

Fucking hell, I thought I was a miserable c**t. 
He appears to be able to pass a ball more than 10 yards, which puts him ahead of everyone in centre-midfield apart from Vigurs. And Vigurs probably isn't going to be playing every week given (a) the nature of his recent injury, and (b) he's not the player he was 4/5 years ago. It's not exciting but he's functional and serves a purpose - that's what this summer window is going to be like, maybe one or two gems.
The budget is, by all accounts, smaller than last time out in the Premiership. 

I would bloody hope the budget is smaller. Some of the signings - irrespective of how much they were paid - were ludicrous, particularly under Owen Coyle.

David N’Gog is most likely the most expensive player County have ever had. David effing N’Gog.

But besides that, I’m not at all in agreement that Chalmers is better than we already have. He’s a supplementary player. We’ll need improvements if that squad is going to avoid relegation. That’s not being miserable.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

His freekicks are good for the most part.

They aren't really. Corners are pretty decent and he recycles possession quite well. Don't expect him to put a tackle in though. nice to have someone stroke the ball around in midfield I guess. I like Chalmers but he has his limitations. Seemed to have a wee purple patch a few weeks back including that rocket against United. Still seems like an odd signing for County to make. Probably just to rub our noses in it I guess. I trust Robbo to get in someone who will be more than capable of replacing the guy.

Chairman: know any good signings
Captain: how about my best buddy from the Celtic youth team who played with Jackson Irvine
Chairman: yas

It does have a massive whiff of that, yes. I remain to be convinced he’ll be anything approaching a first team regular, however.

58 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It does have a massive whiff of that, yes. I remain to be convinced he’ll be anything approaching a first team regular, however.

Not every signing has to be. Fergiewell stating that he is "versatile" strikes to me already that he's going to be back up but a worthy squad player.

Will he get more game time than an inexperienced Paton and a Don Cowie who is 37 next year? I'd hope so.

Edited by staggy4life

Not every signing has to be. Fergiewell stating that he is "versatile" strikes to me already that he's going to be back up but a worthy squad player.
Will he get more game time than an unimpressive Paton and a Don Cowie who is 37 next year? I'd hope so.

This is true. Which is why the “good guy at Celtic reserves” thing rings true - the whole #CountyWay seems to me to be about creating a certain environment.

Chalmers is a very 6/10 player.  His corners are good and his free kicks are reasonable, but really as a player he has two moves - stop the ball and then pass it left.  Now it's alright having a player in the midfield who can keep things simple but I find it hard to believe that County couldn't find anyone better.  He'll be a squad player and nothing more though he is pretty versatile having playing across the midfield, at centre back and at left back in his time with us.  Whatever you do though, don't play him in the latter - absolutely horrendous in there!

This smacks of a Ryan Dow type of signing imo. He was new levels of pishness at Motherwell and used to look forward to the Terrace podcast every week for them to wax lyrical about his ineptitude. He’s had half a season being turgid at Caley and Thistle and then half a season being slightly above average in a position he wasn’t purchased for? I assume he was very cheap

This smacks of a Ryan Dow type of signing imo. He was new levels of pishness at Motherwell and used to look forward to the Terrace podcast every week for them to wax lyrical about his ineptitude. He’s had half a season being turgid at Caley and Thistle and then half a season being slightly above average in a position he wasn’t purchased for? I assume he was very cheap

I think old BB has it right. He’s a guy the players know, who is happy to “fight for his place”, and can offer a bit of positional flexibility. That’s it. If he’s starting every week, we’re in trouble, but if not then I’ll take it.

It does seem like a meh signing as I haven’t noticed him in any derby games, haven’t heard many caley fans rave about him and only know he got the players voted POTY but to every fan almost thinks that seems bizarre.

As a Cm he’s probably not getting much luck a head for draper Vigurs Lindsay or Spence so can only assume he’s back up? If he’s been signed as a Left back then that’s understandable as we are screaming out for a new LB. but as posters have warmed... that might not be the best idea? In saying that though he probably would be a step up as left back than VDW or Kelly...

Ketts and Fergies signings have all worked out well so far so have to put faith in them, I had a similar first impression when Lewis Spence signed and he actually turned out very capable so fingers crossed the gaffers coaching helps.

4 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

I haven’t noticed him in any derby games

Would you say that you tend towards the County defending / County attacking approach to spectating?

11 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Does anyone think that Uncle Roy may have become overly obsessed with putting one over ICT ?

Does anyone think that some ICT fans have become overly obsessed with our chairman?