The General Ross County Chat Thread

Well, that's Fox away now confirmed by the club.

I'm not sure Fox is good enough for Hearts to be honest, wouldn't be surprised if Dundee United have put in an offer that we can't match.

I've not exactly been Chief Executive of the Scott Fox Fan Club, but it's been hard to be down on him this season. And him going without having a clue who the obviously replacement will be is a wee bit disconcerting. But hopefully we get someone Premiership level.

You're welcome to Jack Hamilton.

Don’t even joke about it.

I’d put money on Ross Munro being the first choice by the end of next season if it is Hamilton.

It’ll be interesting where Fox ends up, not least for the budget w**k debates.

1 minute ago, forkboy said:

And him going without having a clue who the obviously replacement will be is a wee bit disconcerting.

The Premiership season hasn't even finished yet.  Most players' contracts are not up until the end of the month, there's loads of time to get the right one in. 

I hope he does well at his next club and proves himself again at the level above, if that opportunity comes his way. 

I'm not gutted at the news, however.

Fox has been very good since signing (apart from one season when confidence low and everyone was meh)

I really hope we haven’t low balled in the negotiations but it almost seems like the club are putting out an advert for a new keeper in the post which doesn’t look good 🥴 ‘The club are actively looking for a replacement goalkeeper’...

He was fantastic last year and won us a lot of games, but he could be upgraded. Fox was easily good enough as a top flight starter and would of been comfortable with him start of the new season but like I said not impossible to upgrade.

It’s just another position we could of done without worrying about, LB, CB, ST were the main priority positions needed upgrades now a GK too.

Wish fox all the best

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The obvious choice would be loaning the Ayr keeper from Celtic, with a view to a permanent deal a la Irvine and Lindsay.

The issue with loaning, in particular, a goalkeeper from Celtic is you go in to at least 3 games against them playing your rusty back-up instead.

I'd have been perfectly happy going in to next season with Fox between the sticks, but as others have suggested, I'm disappointed rather than devastated.  It should be possible to find someone on a similar level, if not better, to replace him.

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

County have approached ICT for Mark Ridgers.

I imagine Ridgers would jump at the chance to play for a team who will give him a pair of socks that are the same colour as the rest of his kit.

2 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

The issue with loaning, in particular, a goalkeeper from Celtic is you go in to at least 3 games against them playing your rusty back-up instead.

I'd have been perfectly happy going in to next season with Fox between the sticks, but as others have suggested, I'm disappointed rather than devastated.  It should be possible to find someone on a similar level, if not better, to replace him.

That's a fair point.  I hope it's not Ridgers, and that RIG is stirring it.

Don't see Ridgers as an upgrade or downgrade to Fox, both have strengths and weaknesses that about even out. Thought Ridgers was now on a long term contract anyway?

I think it's notable that Boyle was the only loanee at the club in the 18/19 season and that could be put down to the injury crisis in defence. 

6 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Mind those times when Marc Klok and Terry Dunfield seemed to only get a game against Celtic.

ETA: Ridgers signed a two-year extension last week I think.

Edited by bunglebonce

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That's a fair point.  I hope it's not Ridgers, and that RIG is stirring it.

I was indeed being a bit mischievous although it wouldn't surprise me nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Comrie said:

Don't see Ridgers as an upgrade or downgrade to Fox, both have strengths and weaknesses that about even out. Thought Ridgers was now on a long term contract anyway?

Watch the games against ICT again.  Scott Fox distilled confidence.  Ridgers didn't.  That might come with age and experience, but I thought there was a discernible difference in quality.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Watch the games against ICT again.  Scott Fox distilled confidence.  Ridgers didn't.  That might come with age and experience, but I thought there was a discernible difference in quality.

You may be right on that.

At least the defenders know that Fox is never coming for a ball that's outside the six yard box, so they know they have to deal with it.

The craic seems to be that the club have offered new deals to players on reduced terms to what they were on when we were last in the Premiership.

There was rumours a few weeks ago of Fox going to Dundee Utd but I've not heard anything on it myself.

Edited by staggy4life

Fox is a good shot stopper but then he shouldn’t  be playing at this level if he wasn’t. His distribution has never impressed me. I’m pretty confident that we can get someone just as good, maybe even a step up. 

19 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Fox is a good shot stopper but then he shouldn’t  be playing at this level if he wasn’t. His distribution has never impressed me. I’m pretty confident that we can get someone just as good, maybe even a step up. 

Fox's main strength is his shot stopping. Only keeper I can think of at County that topped him for that was Big Mick, who is still the best keeper I've seen at County by some distance. Pity we've no chance of ever getting him back.