The General Ross County Chat Thread

All those guys got you relegated though? I’ve seen a few County games this season and your team is certainly a solid unit that battles for everything with some flair from the likes of Mullen thrown in. However, surely it’s a risk to be carrying these players into the top flight again, whilst alright they’re not going to push you towards survival fast. I appreciate that Fox and Fraser and decent players but that’s all they are and they tended to get exposed at top flight level the last time. Not sure a season below for a number of seasoned professionals is going to have improved them.

I mostly agree with the replies to this, the management of Coyle was probably the main factor and an extreme low level of confidence.

Fox has been excellent this year, last year the whole team was shocking but fox just lost all composure and I think that’s down to confidence if anything as the season before he was also very good.

Draper and midge are easily 2 of our best players and good enough to do well in the top flight. Fraser hasn’t been fantastic this year but he’s decent enough and there’s more crucial areas we need to strengthen imo (a back up RB would be good though).

Like others said Left back is a must. If it’s true Coll Donaldson has signed then I’d be happy with that’s as a CB option. Another striker would be very handy though

Fox being a top flight keeper in terms of bottom two in the top flight, I would agree.
Draper was our best player in the last 10 matches of the 17/18 season IMO, sitting in front of the defence as a destroyer, eg against Hibs and Motherwell at home.  Kettlewell has already been in the press a few times in the last week stating the team will need a different style to survive in the top flight.  Draper will be crucial to that.
More pace in the squad is surely a given.

Lionel Ainsworth has just been released by Plymouth....

Although quite happy with Fox getting a contract, I’d like to see the addition of an experienced keeper to give him some competition as sadly, don’t think Ross is that competition. RB like Lee Wallace would be ideal but can’t see it happening.
Hoping Harry Paton gets a new contract but it’s another thing I can’t see happening

Would Václav Hladký be worth a shout if he's got a release from St. Mirren- he's looked decent when I've seen him.

11 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Ross MacIver and Greg Morrison have been released.

A bit of a shame that so few of the development team champions have kicked on to meaningful game time with us, or others. 

Other than Munro and Grivo, are the rest all away? 

A quick google gives the following summary of "2016-17 champs, where are they now", apologies in advance for errors & ommissions.

Dylan Dykes, Greenock Morton
 Joel Macbeath, RCFC - dev
 Mark Gallagher, RCFC - dev
 Russell Dingwall, Stenhousemuir (loan)
Blair Malcolm, Cowdenbeath
Christopher McLaughlin Stirling Lions SC (Australia)
David Brownlie, Stranraer
Davis Keillor-Dunn, Falkirk (loan)
Greg Morrison Elgin City (loan) -released today?
James Wallace RCFC
Mark Foden, Gateshead/ Blyth Spartans
Matt Hall, ??
Reghan Tumilty, Greenock Morton
Ross Maciver, Elgin City (loan) -released today?
Ross Munro, RCFC
Sam Morrison, Buckie Thistle
Tom Kelly RCFC - dev
Tom MacLennan Nairn County
Tony Dingwall Raith Rovers

If not at either Celtic or Sevco, Gordon would get sent off multiple times per season, so no thanks.

It wasn't trolling on my part btw.  It's just that you won the Youth League in 2017 and going by that list, none of them are wanted/needed.  Wild.

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It wasn't trolling on my part btw.  It's just that you won the Youth League in 2017 and going by that list, none of them are wanted/needed.  Wild.

It's strange indeed. 

One view might be that be that the youth coaches (now our current management team) managed to get great team performances from a fairly average squad.

The other might be that a reluctance to take a risk on youth meant that these developing talents just didn't get stretched at pro level, and therefore plateaued at lower championship/L1 level.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I don't think Reghan Tumilty has done that well at Morton and there have been a few I'd hoped would make the step up but christ knows, they just seem to peeter out once they're in consideration for the first team.

Although quite happy with Fox getting a contract, I’d like to see the addition of an experienced keeper to give him some competition as sadly, don’t think Ross is that competition. RB like Lee Wallace would be ideal but can’t see it happening.

Hoping Harry Paton gets a new contract but it’s another thing I can’t see happening

On the Scott Fox theme, I see he’s hobbling around Magaluf with the team in a moon boot.

Guest Ieuan16
On 07/05/2019 at 16:53, Savage Henry said:

But substantial upgrades on Morris and Kelly will improve the team markedly.

I feel that's a little harsh on Morris.  I'd say the Morris-Watson partnership was arguably County's best during the season.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

On the Scott Fox theme, I see he’s hobbling around Magaluf with the team in a moon boot.

That will be the same boot he hobbled away in after the Falkirk match on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Ieuan16 said:

I feel that's a little harsh on Morris.  I'd say the Morris-Watson partnership was arguably County's best during the season.

Yup agreed, thought Morris looked very good with Watson, looked our top pairing imo.

Fontaine and his crazy distribution makes him doubtful for a starting place, although he's now obviously in the coaching side now too.