The General Ross County Chat Thread

Right back too, honestly, carrying an injury or not Fraser has had a very poor season IMO.  He's a cracking lad and is a senior member of the squad but if he's to stay with us he needs pushed by serious competition. 

Edit to add. It would be negligent to not at least try to tempt the United striker Safranko, he's only there on loan and looks very good, decent replacement for McManus in the squad. 

I asked about this on the Dundee United thread. He’s under contract for another year or so at his parent club and has a £600,000 valuation. That would have been my first move if he were out of contract at the end of the season.

Thought Kelly was abysmal today. Never one any of his aerial duels, passing was erratic, could not match the pace of his opposition for love nor money, and was very predictable going forward. He needs to really improve his game over the summer or it's goodbye I'm afraid. Just can't cut it in the Premiership.

Thought Armstrong grew into the game, especially in the second half. Some good deliveries and had a bit of spark that worked well. Sadly never got the overlapping runs he would have flourished on from Kelly, but adapted his game well to deal with that. Maybe lacks a bit of pace, but seems a good young player.

Paton had a brilliant game for me today. Totally changed our tempo and outlook when he came on, and never shied away from the ball. Drove forward at every opportunity, and always looked for the attacking pass into dangerous areas. Lad looks class.

First proper look at Semple for me and I was happy with what I saw. Kept things simple, but seemed calm and assured under pressure and good with the ball at his feet. He will grow into the role with time, but seems a very capable and astute option for us next season.

Roy McGregor spoke to a few Falkirk fans outside the ground after the game. TBF he was very sympathetic and not in a patronising way. Heard him saying a club needs solid foundations and the youth academy is the heart and soul of Ross County.

19 hours ago, stagdhu said:

Thought Kelly was abysmal today. Never one any of his aerial duels, passing was erratic, could not match the pace of his opposition for love nor money, and was very predictable going forward. He needs to really improve his game over the summer or it's goodbye I'm afraid. Just can't cut it in the Premiership.

Thought Armstrong grew into the game, especially in the second half. Some good deliveries and had a bit of spark that worked well. Sadly never got the overlapping runs he would have flourished on from Kelly, but adapted his game well to deal with that. Maybe lacks a bit of pace, but seems a good young player.

Paton had a brilliant game for me today. Totally changed our tempo and outlook when he came on, and never shied away from the ball. Drove forward at every opportunity, and always looked for the attacking pass into dangerous areas. Lad looks class.

First proper look at Semple for me and I was happy with what I saw. Kept things simple, but seemed calm and assured under pressure and good with the ball at his feet. He will grow into the role with time, but seems a very capable and astute option for us next season.

Summed up Armstrong, Paton and Semple very well.

Three young players with lots of ability in their chosen positions, all with plenty to learn  and all who will not let the club down when called on.

Add Grivo to that and the club have 4 very good young players coming through...... at 19/20 yrs old.

I'm pretty sure Kelly is very much working his way back towards match fitness. Since returning he has seemed to me to be conservative in his playing, less mobile, more conserving of energy.

Before he was injured he could be adventurous and e.g. I remember him putting in a lot of decent crosses away to Dundee United when he (and Watson on the Right) contributed to the 5 goals we scored. His influence was noted in the BBC article

On 4/29/2019 at 18:26, Les Westander of County said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47940589

how the championship was won.  Interesting read. 

9 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

I'm pretty sure Kelly is very much working his way back towards match fitness. Since returning he has seemed to me to be conservative in his playing, less mobile, more conserving of energy.

Before he was injured he could be adventurous and e.g. I remember him putting in a lot of decent crosses away to Dundee United when he (and Watson on the Right) contributed to the 5 goals we scored. His influence was noted in the BBC article

I understand your point of view, but he also smacks of a player who is devoid of enough confidence in his game and also looks to be a bit out of shape compared to earlier in the season. Yes, being out of the team for a while will do that to you, but I think his problem is definitely a mixture of lack of fitness and also technical inabilities rather than "conserving energy".

However, I would like to be proven wrong with some excellent performances this summer in preparation for the new season, but sadly he seems to have become a player who has found his level in the Championship 

I understand your point of view, but he also smacks of a player who is devoid of enough confidence in his game and also looks to be a bit out of shape compared to earlier in the season. Yes, being out of the team for a while will do that to you, but I think his problem is definitely a mixture of lack of fitness and also technical inabilities rather than "conserving energy".
However, I would like to be proven wrong with some excellent performances this summer in preparation for the new season, but sadly he seems to have become a player who has found his level in the Championship 

There are a few players who look a bit heavy. Kelly, Semple, Armstrong and Boyle particularly. But two of those were bit part players.

7 minutes ago, grantmacp said:

With Falkirk going down anyone fancy a Jordan MCGhee swap deal with DKD.

I liked the look of McGhee yesterday. He definitely seems to be the hardy battler type we like who also has a good turn of pace as well as leadership qualities. He would probably do well in the Prem.

However, do we need another RB (he is a RB isn't he?), or could we shift Fraser to CB and start McGhee as first choice? I'd much rather we go with an astute LB though as we are seriously lacking down that flank. 

As for swapping with DKD, 1. absolutely no way, and 2. What a waste of a fine young talent to be playing against part timers and farmers

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There are a few players who look a bit heavy. Kelly, Semple, Armstrong and Boyle particularly. But two of those were bit part players.

Two of those are also CB, who youd kind of hope would have some muscle and heftiness to them. You wouldn't put a stick thin guy up against someone like Edouard.

The other two are supposed to fly down the wings, not trundle along with as much speed as a Massey Ferguson

1 hour ago, stagdhu said:

I liked the look of McGhee yesterday. He definitely seems to be the hardy battler type we like who also has a good turn of pace as well as leadership qualities. He would probably do well in the Prem.

However, do we need another RB (he is a RB isn't he?), or could we shift Fraser to CB and start McGhee as first choice? I'd much rather we go with an astute LB though as we are seriously lacking down that flank. 

As for swapping with DKD, 1. absolutely no way, and 2. What a waste of a fine young talent to be playing against part timers and farmers

The thought of Fraser at centre half in the top flight again terrifies me.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Armstrong and Semple are no where near match fit. Due to not playing, for differing reasons.....

Semple is a unit, will never look stick thin. 

I didnt think Armstrong looked heavy. Stocky but not heavy.

Kelly doesn’t look fit at all.

Boyle looked okay 

New contracts offered to:

Fox (2 year)

Fraser (2 year)

Drapes (2 year)

Midge (1 year with potential 1 year extension)

Other talks in preliminary stages.

New contracts offered to:
Fox (2 year)
Fraser (2 year)
Drapes (2 year)
Midge (1 year with potential 1 year extension)
Other talks in preliminary stages.

All those guys got you relegated though? I’ve seen a few County games this season and your team is certainly a solid unit that battles for everything with some flair from the likes of Mullen thrown in. However, surely it’s a risk to be carrying these players into the top flight again, whilst alright they’re not going to push you towards survival fast. I appreciate that Fox and Fraser and decent players but that’s all they are and they tended to get exposed at top flight level the last time. Not sure a season below for a number of seasoned professionals is going to have improved them.

I think we're requiring upgrades in some positions and several new additions, but we need a squad rather than just an XI. I don't have any real issue with any of those four been offered new deals.  Fraser had a poor season last year, and has been inconsistent this season, but he's shown before that he's capable of holding his own in the bottom six. The same applies to Draper and Gardyne (although I think Gardyne has to be playing centrally next season rather than out wide). I'm not Fox's biggest fan, and would maybe favour an upgrade, but he's been fine this season and appears to have regained his confidence after McIntyre's ludicrous man management last season.

There's maybe four or five players I don't think will be particularly useful next season. I think we're needing 6 or 7 new faces though.

19 minutes ago, yoda said:

I think we're requiring upgrades in some positions and several new additions, but we need a squad rather than just an XI. I don't have any real issue with any of those four been offered new deals.  Fraser had a poor season last year, and has been inconsistent this season, but he's shown before that he's capable of holding his own in the bottom six. The same applies to Draper and Gardyne (although I think Gardyne has to be playing centrally next season rather than out wide). I'm not Fox's biggest fan, and would maybe favour an upgrade, but he's been fine this season and appears to have regained his confidence after McIntyre's ludicrous man management last season.

There's maybe four or five players I don't think will be particularly useful next season. I think we're needing 6 or 7 new faces though.

Centre back and left back are the first ports of call.  The rest will follow.  But substantial upgrades on Morris and Kelly will improve the team markedly.

In all of County's best performances this year, Draper excelled.  He's a vital player.  

EDIT: I would go so far as to say if Dundee United had Fox, and County had their keeper (either of them), United would have won the league.  He's a top flight quality keeper, and he was in noticeably better shape this season, for whatever reason.

Edited by Savage Henry
Stuff

Fox being a top flight keeper in terms of bottom two in the top flight, I would agree.

Draper was our best player in the last 10 matches of the 17/18 season IMO, sitting in front of the defence as a destroyer, eg against Hibs and Motherwell at home.  Kettlewell has already been in the press a few times in the last week stating the team will need a different style to survive in the top flight.  Draper will be crucial to that.

More pace in the squad is surely a given.

3 hours ago, Widge said:

All those guys got you relegated though? I’ve seen a few County games this season and your team is certainly a solid unit that battles for everything with some flair from the likes of Mullen thrown in. However, surely it’s a risk to be carrying these players into the top flight again, whilst alright they’re not going to push you towards survival fast. I appreciate that Fox and Fraser and decent players but that’s all they are and they tended to get exposed at top flight level the last time. Not sure a season below for a number of seasoned professionals is going to have improved them.

I'd like to think we were relegated mostly due to Owen Coyle being an absolute riddy. 

Those who have resigned are all good enough for the top flight (and all have proved so in the past) we just need to supplement them with the right players and not David bloody N'Gog and company.

4 hours ago, Widge said:

I'm not overly worried because you can't replace literally the whole team. Draper & Midge should definitely be staying, I think Fraser is decent enough. Fox I'm definitely less sold on in the Premiership but then I also don't really know who'd be available to replace him that'd be better. Probably I'd have gone for a 1 year deal on him rather than 2 but it's not my money.