The General Ross County Chat Thread

The draw has been harsh on Grivosti and Watson so far. 

Grivosti is a shoo-in for Young Player, so shed nary a tear for him.

Watson got drawn against the more-than-likely winner, but he’s a good shout.

19 hours ago, stagdhu said:

Are there any Staggies planning on meeting up in Edinburgh before the game on Saturday? Will be in the area and am planning on heading to the match. If not, any decent places to drink near Waverley?

I'm not heading down, but if you're near Waverley, I'd recommend the Hebrides pub.

19 hours ago, stagdhu said:

Are there any Staggies planning on meeting up in Edinburgh before the game on Saturday? Will be in the area and am planning on heading to the match. If not, any decent places to drink near Waverley?

He's been away over the weekend but @Forfinn's your best chance of a reply from the Central Staggies now that he's back.

3 minutes ago, sophia said:

Realistically, which County players wouldn't step up to the Premiership? Declan McManus is an obvious one but I'm not sure who else? Don Cowie maybe?

Kelly, Semple, Morrison and I hate to say it, but KVDW. All three of those are decent at Championship level, with Kelly and VDW tested at Premiership level, but none really stand out as potential key members of the team for me. Bit part players maybe, and I would like to see more of Semple, but I think we will strengthen the defence better this summer than we have done before.

Cowie is an odd one, as he undeniably has the ability and the experience, but he has not had the impact I had expected when he arrived. Yes he is now a senior member of the squad, but he has ghosted through a selection of games. Maybe played as a holding midfielder or an impact sub may be his calling next season?

McManus is a good wee player with a lot of effort, but is better out wide and cutting inside. He gets bullied by big defenders and doesn't have the composure of a Graham/McKay/Stewart to test the keeper from all angles. Think he should be seen as being another Midge to be honest 

22 minutes ago, stagdhu said:

Kelly, Semple, Morrison and I hate to say it, but KVDW. All three of those are decent at Championship level, with Kelly and VDW tested at Premiership level, but none really stand out as potential key members of the team for me. Bit part players maybe, and I would like to see more of Semple, but I think we will strengthen the defence better this summer than we have done before.

Cowie is an odd one, as he undeniably has the ability and the experience, but he has not had the impact I had expected when he arrived. Yes he is now a senior member of the squad, but he has ghosted through a selection of games. Maybe played as a holding midfielder or an impact sub may be his calling next season?

McManus is a good wee player with a lot of effort, but is better out wide and cutting inside. He gets bullied by big defenders and doesn't have the composure of a Graham/McKay/Stewart to test the keeper from all angles. Think he should be seen as being another Midge to be honest 

There are a fair few players who I think will struggle.  It's far too early to judge Semple, but clearly he's got a lot of work to do.    Grivosti has surpassed him by a long shot, and actually I'd be quite happy with him starting next year.  Spence was a panic signing, but I'd imagine he'd be given another crack.  Armstrong is a good squad player, though might turn out to be a bit of a Joltin' Joe Cardle.  Harry Paton I'd imagine would be released.  Morris as well, I would think, depending on his contract situation.

Left back, right back, centre back, central midfielder, number 10, winger, striker.  

Lee Wallace would be a great fit, but I'd imagine much bigger clubs than County would be looking at him.

Munro, Semple, Armstrong, Paton, Grivo are all the younger members of the squad and as seen as potential.

Unless any make a huge impact over the Summer they will be fringe first team players with time on their side.

That is exactly why the club have signed them ..... as potential.

Semple has played 30 first team games last season in the Championship. The betting charge and being cup tied have limited his game time.

Grivo has played 20 plus  games this season at the same level. He was a fringe player who was not deemed ready for the first team and look at how he played since January. 

For a couple of 19/20 year old CBs they have played around 50 games between them. That is seen as potential.

But at the moment that is all it is. 

The players with 200 plus games under their belts are the ones who are either good enough for the step up or not.

there is no doubt that when the current team get it together they will hold their own next season.

But, when they are poor they could get a right pumping.

so IMO a few players may leave with a few coming in but I can’t see whole sale changes.