The General Ross County Chat Thread

Moving the Queens game is a total joke. Trophy day should be on a Saturday afternoon if even remotely possible.
I know County aren't officially over the line yet but this is such a stupid decision.

At least move it to a Sunday or a lunchtime if you have to move it. Absolute suckage for QOS fans.

21 hours ago, Rosscubed said:

Dumfries to Dingwall for 7.05 on a friday? Which means drive through central belt at Friday rush hour.

Not unless Friday rush hour is about 3pm! Realistically for a 7:05 ko in Dingwall you would want to be beyond Perth by 4pm at worst.

To be honest I had expected it all along with County likely to be winning the League. Its personally a bit of a pest. I havent been to County in at least a decade and was intending to come up for the weekend this time but its now far more awkward. I cant travel Thursday as I have another commitment that night. I will prob still go Friday but not sure I can be arsed coming back Friday night. Might stay in Inverness.

Mixed feelings for our fans in general. Its clearly a nightmare for those actually intending to travel but given very few probably would have anyway, the tv coverage is a bonus for the fans who wouldnt have travelled.

Guest Flash
14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not unless Friday rush hour is about 3pm! Realistically for a 7:05 ko in Dingwall you would want to be beyond Perth by 4pm at worst.

To be honest I had expected it all along with County likely to be winning the League. Its personally a bit of a pest. I havent been to County in at least a decade and was intending to come up for the weekend this time but its now far more awkward. I cant travel Thursday as I have another commitment that night. I will prob still go Friday but not sure I can be arsed coming back Friday night. Might stay in Inverness.

Mixed feelings for our fans in general. Its clearly a nightmare for those actually intending to travel but given very few probably would have anyway, the tv coverage is a bonus for the fans who wouldnt have travelled.

Have you forgotten how shite we are?

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Friday rush hour pretty much starts at 12noon iirc from my time in Glasgow!

Why is the clubs media team insistent on wishing Inverness luck every time they are in the latter stages of a cup? It’s embarrassing and every main Scottish football social media outlet it’s ripping us for it now and rightly so. That met more of an angry response than our fixture change to QOTS and that’s saying something.

There is not one county fan I know who isn’t wanting hearts to win so why do the club keep doing it? Rivals are rivals your not meant to wish them luck. Embarrassing.

Why is the clubs media team insistent on wishing Inverness luck every time they are in the latter stages of a cup? It’s embarrassing and every main Scottish football social media outlet it’s ripping us for it now and rightly so. That met more of an angry response than our fixture change to QOTS and that’s saying something.

There is not one county fan I know who isn’t wanting hearts to win so why do the club keep doing it? Rivals are rivals your not meant to wish them luck. Embarrassing.

I would be quite content to see ICT win. You have to realise that for everyone over the age of about 35, the “Highland Derby” is something of a construct.

And I’d far rather a good natured rivalry-lite than the venom of the Edinburgh derby.

I wouldn't want my club to wish another club well for a game under any circumstances, tbh. Let alone someone who was supposed to be a main rival.

Even if the fans aren't particularly arsed, it is still the club's biggest rivalry, and public well-wishing is a bit of a riddy.

Edited by Nightmare

I would be quite content to see ICT win. You have to realise that for everyone over the age of about 35, the “Highland Derby” is something of a construct.

And I’d far rather a good natured rivalry-lite than the venom of the Edinburgh derby.
Can't say I'm particularly bothered myself. A good relationship between the clubs is fairly important given our geography - the fans don't need to uniformly support each other of course, but at club level I don't see the harm.

As fans it's not worth getting worked up about; focus that energy on the Thistle game and taking a step closer to promotion.

That’s fair comment, no ones suggesting that it needs ‘venom’ blah blah. But clubs shouldn’t be publicly wishing other clubs well, especially not your rivals. Especially when the derby is one of the biggest selling points for both clubs.

1 hour ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

That’s fair comment, no ones suggesting that it needs ‘venom’ blah blah. But clubs shouldn’t be publicly wishing other clubs well, especially not your rivals. Especially when the derby is one of the biggest selling points for both clubs.

I think the recent seat vandalism may be in their thinking.

Cant help but feel that the pals-act is either pretentious or cluless and I wish theyd put it in the fucking bin.

Wishing Caley well isn't representative of the huge majority of fans. Huge majority of folk i know (including non-County fans) thought it was a terrible idea, admittedly a few didnt care, but I dont know any fan who thought it was a good idea.

Also makes us look like (even more of) a small-time teuchter outfit. At times that is exactly what we are, but its nice when we're not, and shite like this make those nice times more difficult to achieve.

Everyone i knew at the time hated Caley before the merger (albeit we were kids/teenagers). Thistle may have been their main rivals, but we certainly weren't cosy with either of them. I dont see the derby as a construct at all. They're quite clearly our rivals.

Even from a cynical marketing angle, having a rival makes commercial sense, feeding off some tribalism for a meatier narrative and all that bollocks.

On the seat wanks - its been made clear that the wanks who broke the seats are wanks, the club doesnt need to cosy up to our rivals to further reiterate the seat wanks are wanks.  Normal folk can treat a football rivalry as the daft wee thing it is; forcing some friendly rapport between the clubs wont change the likes of the seat wanks. It also disassociates a lot of fans from whoever is doing the forcing. Its like a clueless parent forcing a playdate on their kids - instant loss of respect for every party involved, and nothing gained.

Wasnt going to bother posting about this, and am actually a lot more "meh" about this than the above post implies. Its not a dramatic issue. But the majority of posts here were so "meh" that i got all riled up.  Plus im procrastinating from finishing the kitchen and doing the garden... f**k it... i'll put my boiler suit on.

In league competition this season, I make it that County have used 13 different centre-back combinations.  I don't know how that compares to other teams without spending a few hours raking through other team lines, but it seems like a lot for a team with the most wins in the league.

Counting partnerships on the pitch for at least a quarter of a match at a time, I make the most used partnerships as:-

9: Watson-Grivosti
6: Draper-Watson
5: Morris-Watson
4: Morris-Fontaine
4: Watson-Boyle
3: Boyle-Van der Weg
3: Boyle-Grivosti

I think the managers' first-choice would have been Morris-Fontaine and they only combined four times in the league (and a couple of other times in a three-centre-back partnership).

Personally, I thought the Morris-Watson combo was the strongest among those.

8 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

In league competition this season, I make it that County have used 13 different centre-back combinations.  I don't know how that compares to other teams without spending a few hours raking through other team lines, but it seems like a lot for a team with the most wins in the league.

Counting partnerships on the pitch for at least a quarter of a match at a time, I make the most used partnerships as:-

9: Watson-Grivosti
6: Draper-Watson
5: Morris-Watson
4: Morris-Fontaine
4: Watson-Boyle
3: Boyle-Van der Weg
3: Boyle-Grivosti

I think the managers' first-choice would have been Morris-Fontaine and they only combined four times in the league (and a couple of other times in a three-centre-back partnership).

Personally, I thought the Morris-Watson combo was the strongest among those.

For non County fans, those pairings include a central midfielder, a left back, a right back and a kid plucked from the development side.