The General Ross County Chat Thread

9 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Thought Kelly and McManus were both terrible last night, really don't understand what McManus brings to the team and Kelly gave the ball away almost every time he had it... Kenny was decent at CB but I would've started Grivo/Semple and have KVdW at LB instead... Armstrong had a great game, if only he could cross!

McManus at least deserves some credit for winning the ball for the 1st goal. 

I hardly noticed Kelly tbh. (Watched on TV wasn't there).

We were discussing this on the bus home on Sat. The invincibles from our previous season in the 2nd tier 2011-12 would murder this lot.
Or win 1-0 with a last minute McMenamin 2yd trundler.
Midge and Vigurs would have to play a half for each team of course.

Yeah the invincibles would beat this side easily. Even if this side started and got in front playing well, they would invite pressure and would fold under pressure. The craft and guile between McMenamin and Gardyne would pull the defence apart for the midfield.

Lawson collecting the ball for a cross field blind pass straight to Vigurs feet, for him to saunter past a slow and plodding Fraser to set up chance after chance.

The insistence of playing 4-4-2 would see the invincibles over run them keeping possession.

The only ones likely to get a game in the invincibles would be Mullin or Draper. But not ahead of Kettlewell, Lawson, Britain and Vigurs.

Some might say Fox, but I still think he’s below average. Great reaction stops, but badly let down by positioning, and at times has wrists made of digestives.

Yeah the invincibles would beat this side easily. Even if this side started and got in front playing well, they would invite pressure and would fold under pressure. The craft and guile between McMenamin and Gardyne would pull the defence apart for the midfield.

Lawson collecting the ball for a cross field blind pass straight to Vigurs feet, for him to saunter past a slow and plodding Fraser to set up chance after chance.

The insistence of playing 4-4-2 would see the invincibles over run them keeping possession.

The only ones likely to get a game in the invincibles would be Mullin or Draper. But not ahead of Kettlewell, Lawson, Britain and Vigurs.

Some might say Fox, but I still think he’s below average. Great reaction stops, but badly let down by positioning, and at times has wrists made of digestives.

I’m a Fox fan, and I think you’d need to shoehorn Draper in there - probably for Ketts - but that’s spot on. A very average team currently.

Kettlewell was more mobile and every bit as dirty. Draper would certainly get games much as Quinn did with injuries and suspensions.

Mullin could play in the hole ahead of Gardyne and on the right.

For me Fraser and Fox are about the same.

Yeah Flynn wasn’t a regular and Fitzpatrick easily replaced by Morrison.

On reflection I’d take McKay over McMenamin.

All time County XI?

McGovern
Robertson
Boyd
Munro
Naismith
Vigurs
Kettlewell
Lawson
Ferries
Gardyne
Boyce

For sentimental reasons I’d have to have a bench of Bullock, Somerville, Goggs, Boukraa, Irvine, Grant and Duff.

An all time 11 that doesn't have Irvine in it is plain wrong. Might not have been the longest serving but he was the classiest player we've had by a distance, at least since I started watching in the late 90s. 

14 hours ago, CountyFan said:

An all time 11 that doesn't have Irvine in it is plain wrong. Might not have been the longest serving but he was the classiest player we've had by a distance, at least since I started watching in the late 90s. 

Gary or Brian?

Yeah McCulloch in for Naismith.

Ferries in right midfield ahead of Brittain is an easy enough decision. I like the pairing of Lawson and Kettlewell over any of them with Brittain.

As good as Irvine was his last season was one season too many. Dropped him to the bench.