The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Today marks the nine-year anniversary of beating Stirling 9-0 in the Scottish Cup.  Andrew Barrowman joined in with the "if you hate the Caley Thistle clap your hands" action when warming up as a sub.   

I remember jokingly booing Richie for not letting Wood take the penalty for his hat-trick.

Edited by Comrie

I didn't see the game last night but how was Stewart? I'm a bit critical of him sometimes but I think it's maybe because he's been played as both a winger and a second striker this season, neither of which appears to suit him.

The more I think about it (which isn't that much, really), the more I think that whoever is the sole striker doesn't really matter. Get the 10 other players playing in the right system* and the striker will get opportunities and probably score a handful of goals.

*some variation of a 433/4141/4231

2 hours ago, yoda said:

I didn't see the game last night but how was Stewart? I'm a bit critical of him sometimes but I think it's maybe because he's been played as both a winger and a second striker this season, neither of which appears to suit him.

The more I think about it (which isn't that much, really), the more I think that whoever is the sole striker doesn't really matter. Get the 10 other players playing in the right system* and the striker will get opportunities and probably score a handful of goals.

*some variation of a 433/4141/4231

He was our first sub, coming on for Graham, so he initially played in the same (largely ineffective) system as Graham.

I didn't have much issue with Graham's performance at the time of the sub, and was screaming at the telly when we just swapped our main strikers  instead of  addressing our midfield ( Billy McKay was playing off the main striker, but midfield was getting so overwhelmed that at one point Billy was in deep midfield and playing a through ball to Draper....).

Stewart obviously scored within seconds of coming on, but the issues with the system remained, albeit less so once Mullin came on and got into the match.

I thought Stewart did a much better job than Graham within that system though, he seemed to have a  much better attitude and rather than huffing about how shite the support was (which to be fair to Graham, I was also huffing about) Stewart was popping up everywhere, coming deep to play 1-2s, pressing defenders to win corners, making runs to try and make up for our being outnumbered when attacking. 
In contrast, it felt like Graham largely held his central role up top and huffed around in frustration (thats probably an exaggeration, and Graham may have softened up the defence by the time Stewart came on).

Regardless, and for whatever reasons, Stewart looked more effective than Graham last night.

Edited by dingdong1929

35 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

I didn't have much issue with Graham's performance

I think Graham only touched the ball once in the eight-minute period that he was on in the second half.  It was a rare time where he dropped short to get a ball into feet.  County looked for him at least half a dozen timess in that period, each and every time either McCart or Donaldson nipped in ahead of him or comfortably beat him in the air.  The service wasn't great but he could have done much more, I think.

Stewart came on and within seconds made a run to the inside-left channel to chase on to a ball and take Donaldson out with him.  Within minutes he'd scored the equaliser.  I think Stewart is mostly a big lump with untapped potential, who still has to learn a heck of a lot as to when and where he should be on the pitch, but at least he's a lump who causes defenders problems with his movement and he gives his markers a decision to make, whether to stick with him or pass him on.  Sometimes it's useful to have an experienced big lump like Graham - and we wouldn't be in the Scottish Cup still without him - but I don't think he's ever had a good game in the derbies, because he's too easily marked.

(I only refer to those eight minutes because it felt like more of the same as the first half and I made a point of watching him more closely.)

Edited by bunglebonce

18 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I think Graham only touched the ball once in the eight-minute period that he was on in the second half.  It was a rare time where he dropped short to get a ball into feet.  County looked for him at least half a dozen timess in that period, each and every time either McCart or Donaldson nipped in ahead of him or comfortably beat him in the air.  The service wasn't great but he could have done much more, I think.

Stewart came on and within seconds made a run to the inside-left channel to chase on to a ball and take Donaldson out with him.  Within minutes he'd scored the equaliser.  I think Stewart is mostly a big lump with untapped potential, who still has to learn a heck of a lot as to when and where he should be on the pitch, but at least he's a lump who causes defenders problems with his movement and he gives his markers a decision to make, whether to stick with him or pass him on.  Sometimes it's useful to have an experienced big lump like Graham - and we wouldn't be in the Scottish Cup still without him - but I don't think he's ever had a good game in the derbies, because he's too easily marked.

(I only refer to those eight minutes because it felt like more of the same as the first half and I made a point of watching him more closely.)

Aye, was giving Graham an easy ride at the time of the sub as I was so pissed at everything else, but Stewart really showed Graham's performance up.

Your wee Stewart synopsis sums him up well, I really like him.

Edited by dingdong1929

I think Graham is better with the ball at his feet and using it to bring others into play, but often when marked by a decent centre half and we're chucking balls forward, he's hopeless- akin to Mikkelsen at times. The delivery has to be right for him and without that, it's pointless.

Stewart is potentially a better player if he keeps at it, with better speed, movement and a decent knack of getting into the right places. He doesn't half look clumsy when he's running at pace sometimes, though. Not as comical looking as Tony Dingwall, but you expect a strong gust to blow him to Maryburgh.

5 minutes ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

What do we think the lineup should be tonight? East fife will be no pushovers so I’d go with

Munro
Fraser
Boyle
Grivo
Kelly (tom)
Gardyne
Draper
Lindsay
Paton
Armstrong
Graham
McManus

Should be enough to get the win given you have 12 players there.

I'm straying from my own forum but have a query some long in the tooth County fan might help me with. When I was a kid in the early 70s my cousin got married to the daughter of Dan Noble who had Nobles garage in Dingwall. I visited their house a few times in my best tank top and remember they were nice people and had a fair bit of Rangers memoribilia rugs,china type stuff. My old faither who's 91 now always maintained Dan was involved with County back in the 60s/70s and alleges some Rangers players occasionally stayed/visited him in Dingwall during pre season tours etc etc but I've no idea really to be honest just remember him and his wife having a "big hoose" and me being on best behaviour. Feel free to burst this story or add any info !

15 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

I’ve started far to early emoji1390.png‍♂️

Bit of an experience watching the game on ALBA  Not a bad result given the team we played. Thought East Fife were decent opposition. Be interesting who we get in the final but its ours to loose  In many ways the ICT replay, important as it is, could be a distraction from two massive games against Partick and then Ayr although great for supporters. Having watched both twice this year I have no doubt we can turn both of them over

20 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

I'm straying from my own forum but have a query some long in the tooth County fan might help me with. When I was a kid in the early 70s my cousin got married to the daughter of Dan Noble who had Nobles garage in Dingwall. I visited their house a few times in my best tank top and remember they were nice people and had a fair bit of Rangers memoribilia rugs,china type stuff. My old faither who's 91 now always maintained Dan was involved with County back in the 60s/70s and alleges some Rangers players occasionally stayed/visited him in Dingwall during pre season tours etc etc but I've no idea really to be honest just remember him and his wife having a "big hoose" and me being on best behaviour. Feel free to burst this story or add any info !

Ive  no idea, but if you get no joy on here try:

http://www.overthebridge.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

A few older fans more often on there who may be able to help.