The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 1/21/2019 at 10:22, Comrie said:

McManus is a weird one, he's proven he can score goals at this level but at the minute looks like he'd stick his head in a bucket of nipples and come out sucking his thumb. He's direct and has pace, so if need be he's a better option out wide than Stewart, at least.

Not really, he's never really been a regular goal scorer at this level and didn't score that much for us last season at all. 

He's not great out wide. 

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He's not great out wide. 

He set up both our goals with crosses from the right wing last Saturday, and looked very dangerous all afternoon.  If he continues with anything resembling  that form I'm sure we'll be very happy. 

There's no faulting his work rate either, he's happy to chase down any lost cause, just a couple more goals now and again would help.

46 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He's not great out wide. 

I'm sure people used to say that about Martin Boyle.

ETA: he's not been great out wide until the Motherwell match, but he showed a lot of thrust and did so much for the team in the way he dragged the play up the pitch.  He's very good at running with the ball at speed but his crossing has been poor, until Saturday.

Niall McGinn and Martin Boyle are two centre-forwards who benefitted from being moved wide.  If that's where he's going to get a slot in the team then it might be worth persevering with.

Having said that, Daniel Armstrong is going to be more competition for both flanks.

Edited by bunglebonce

41 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not really, he's never really been a regular goal scorer at this level and didn't score that much for us last season at all. 

He's not great out wide. 

He's the ony player outside of Midge and Mullin that is willing to take players on either inside or outside. DKD has struggled this season as he just isn't willing to go on the outside and Midge prefers to go inside though he can go out if needed. His final ball is often rubbish but there's far worse options out wide like Stewart.

And yeah, I didn't realise McManus got most of his goals at Morton while they were in League One. 

I would think that's us most likely done with signings this window now, otherwise when (if) everyone gets back to health, we'll be totally overloaded with players.

2 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I would think that's us most likely done with signings this window now, otherwise when (if) everyone gets back to health, we'll be totally overloaded with players.

Put it this way though, I think one or two of the long term injury guys might not be with County next season, whereas both of these chaps will.  

I'm really liking the way Ketts and Ferg are doing their business in the transfer market, including the summer. There's clearly a long-term plan in place for the type of player they want and they're not scared to give youngsters who have impressed at smaller clubs a chance as we build for the future.

Edited by staggy4life

11 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

I'm really likely the way Ketts and Ferg are doing their business in the transfer market, including the summer. There's clearly a long-term plan in place for the type of player they want and they're not scared to give youngsters who have impressed at smaller clubs a chance as we build for the future.

I also like how it's just us signing the same players who tend to ping around the lower levels of the top flight and upper levels of the second tier and rotate clubs, much like managers.

What I've heard about both I've liked, so very happy with our business so far.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Happy days, and a nice bit of media teasing.     Sounds like a permanent deal.

Aye, the Sheff Utd tweet says:

United have allowed defender Callum Semple to join Ross County on a permanent basis.
 The 20 year old joins the Scottish Championship leaders with immediate effect with United securing a significant sell on and other clauses.

So I guess we'll flog Semple to Burton in a season or two for buttons, and then Sheff Utd will get the bulk of the buttons.
If he means we dont have to play a franken-defence of youth players, midfielders, and fullbacks - i'm happy.

ETA: thats odd, thought id posted that an hour ago?
So aye, much as FranktheTank says, with added cynicism about our ability to recover a good fee for good players (sorry, these are positive signings!)

Edited by dingdong1929

1 hour ago, dingdong1929 said:

Aye, the Sheff Utd tweet says:

United have allowed defender Callum Semple to join Ross County on a permanent basis.
 The 20 year old joins the Scottish Championship leaders with immediate effect with United securing a significant sell on and other clauses.

So I guess we'll flog Semple to Burton in a season or two for buttons, and then Sheff Utd will get the bulk of the buttons.
If he means we dont have to play a franken-defence of youth players, midfielders, and fullbacks - i'm happy.

ETA: thats odd, thought id posted that an hour ago?
So aye, much as FranktheTank says, with added cynicism about our ability to recover a good fee for good players (sorry, these are positive signings!)

Fifty grand and he's yours, rival clubs and down south L1 no marks.