The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 14/01/2019 at 19:20, StoneThrowAway said:

Never thought much of Polworth until this season. Controlled the middle in the last 2 derbies and the first one once draper was taken off.

While I don’t think we’ll sign him, I think he’d be a good addition. 

I'm hearing that we're out of the running for Polworth, StJ are offering far more. 

I'm not overly disappointed, as some have stated above I'm not sure how or where he would have fitted in (a bit similar to Lindsay imo) but a decent local player so there wouldn't have been any of the "not settling in the highlands" pish coming from him, plus the obviously heads gone from some tink fans.

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'm hearing that we're out of the running for Polworth, StJ are offering far more. 

I'm not overly disappointed, as some have stated above I'm not sure how or where he would have fitted in (a bit similar to Lindsay imo) but a decent local player so there wouldn't have been any of the "not settling in the highlands" pish coming from him, plus the obviously heads gone from some tink fans.

If I may be so bold, why do you feel the need to use the word that I've highlighted?

Do you not think such an sobriquet is passé?

I don't think there would be much in the way of "heads gone", rather Caley Thistle's  pay structure, which is commensurate with our status, doesn't suit an ambitious young man with family commitments  to consider.

1 minute ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Don’t actually think we need a CB... we have Draper, Watson, KVDW & Watson that can play there. Would much rather a winger to come in!

Bit harsh asking Watson to play two positions at once!  I'd also rather Draper was nowhere near central defence unless in a (nother) ludicrous crisis.

44 minutes ago, Comrie said:

We need to stop putting square pegs in round holes. Draper is our best midfield destroyer, he's needed there for the dig he gives us.

What about McManus at right wing?  His final ball is often sub-par but he runs with the ball with a lot of pace and has very good movement.  Thankfully Graham was on the correct wavelength yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Why not both a centre-back and a winger? Revolutionary, yes, but it could just about work out.

Someone on the Raith thread is convinced their winger is joining either St Johnstone or County.  Even if he's guff, there's nothing wrong with signing a bench warmer just in case.  I'd be pretty content with our squad if they brought in a centre back and a winger.

I think a new centre back should be our number one priority in  this window. Fontaine and Morris seem perma-crocked, Fraser has been average this season and is apparently carrying an injury and Watson has a long history of injuries. Grivosti has looked ok in the middle, but being forced to play at right and left back can't have done his confidence much good. I don't think anyone wants to see Draper or VDW play at centre back ever again.

Someone like Semple sounds ideal for the rest of the season.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

I wasn't at the game yesterday but sounds like Kenny was okay? I'd rather see him in the middle, at this level, than at left-back.  I'm also not entirely convinced that Fraser is fully fit. Another CB would let him get a break, and move Watson out to RB (did Watson start the season there?). Fontaine is obviously not going to be playing again this season, and Morris appears to have been rushed back too soon.  Draper needs to be playing in centre-midfield, particularly if Vigurs isn't. Oh, and Demetriou is still out!

So, realistically our current defensive options for next couple of weeks are: 

Fraser, Watson, Grivosti, VdW, Kelly

56 minutes ago, yoda said:

Why not both a centre-back and a winger? Revolutionary, yes, but it could just about work out.

53 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Someone on the Raith thread is convinced their winger is joining either St Johnstone or County.  Even if he's guff, there's nothing wrong with signing a bench warmer just in case.  I'd be pretty content with our squad if they brought in a centre back and a winger.

The lad Armstrong has scored some quality goals for Raith Rovers.  Glancing headers, a 25 yard FK, a chip from outside the box and a tap in.  He's quick, left footed and like Mullin is confident to attack the full-back either way.  I think he'd be a really good option.

6 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

Ross County are signing Callum Semple, centre half, was on loan at QOS earlier this season 

Is it a loan deal .

It is a long way from Chesterfield where Semple lives thought he would get a loan club in England just signed a 2 year deal at Sheffield Utd so unlikely to be a permanent deal