The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 01/01/2019 at 00:50, Matty-RCFC said:

Happy New Year Staggies. Here’s to promotion and derby victories. X

Happy new year to all my country cousins.

One question:

Where is the cerebral continuum between decrying a relatively newly formed club and concurrently celebrating the traditional derby?

One more:

Isn’t it a shame that it isn’t Brora?

On 01/01/2019 at 17:08, SUPERSOUTH said:

QUEENS LB Marshall rumoured to be wanted by you?? 

Interesting, as it's somewhere where we could do with more competition. Kelly is injured atm but he's been allowed a lot of game time so far this season but I'm not convinced by him at all. Stelios (hopefully not out for too long) plus another would be better imo.

Big Kenny could be great for the next 4 or 5 months to ensure we win this division, he's a great guy and a big hard b*****d too.

Is Harry Paton coming back into the squad this break, I'd hope so?

50 minutes ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Quitongo released by Partick, would be worth a punt imo

I know we already hit rock bottom by signing David Goodwillie once but it’s an “absolutely not” from me. 

Ethics aside, I don't see where Quitongo would fit in the squad.

Kettlewell's match preview gives news on a few things:

• Harry Paton is back and in the squad for Friday.  Hopefully we'll see plenty of him, he's a rare player who looks to pass into a team-mates' stride.
  • No mention of Ryan Dow at all, conversely.
  • Sean Kelly is "progressing"
  • Stelios might have a hamstring tear, so that will surely be 4-6 weeks.
  • Grivosti got praise
  • No mention of Mullin, so hopefully he sneaks back into the squad for Friday.

Spoiler

On 30/12/2018 at 19:50, Ludo*1 said:

Jim O'Brien. Talk to me lads. What's he like?

I liked him.

He's good for firing up the fans and his teammates, lots of shouting and passion.

I have good (possibly selective) memories of a few cross field passes that he made on his first touch from a headed knock down, great at getting the 2nd ball into useful places after goal kicks. Good long distance ping on him too.

However, as others have mentioned, for a big, angry, guy he's not much of a presence defensively, needs support. He and Woods not a great combo in that regard.

Also possibly some off the field shenanigans, but I can't remember if that was definitely the case or not. Half the squad was subject to various rumours and gossip in that horrible season.

5 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Ryan Dow released by the club :thumsup2

I assume he's heading back to Peterhead permanently then?

Mental how different a career he's had to Robertson/Armstrong. In games against us, Dow was always the most dangerous. 

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I assume he's heading back to Peterhead permanently then?

Mental how different a career he's had to Robertson/Armstrong. In games against us, Dow was always the most dangerous. 

He always looked dangerous when playing against us too but God what a terrible footballer. He's one of those who make you think, Christ if he can paid to be a professional footballer then so could I! He'd be a sub in my 5s team put it that way.

McIntyre gave him a three year deal ffs, so God knows how much he's cost us over the years, or what it's cost to get him to f**k but I for one am happy he's gone.

4 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

He always looked dangerous when playing against us too but God what a terrible footballer. He's one of those who make you think, Christ if he can paid to be a professional footballer then so could I! He'd be a sub in my 5s team put it that way.

McIntyre gave him a three year deal ffs, so God knows how much he's cost us over the years, or what it's cost to get him to f**k but I for one am happy he's gone.

Yeah, looking back we escaped a nightmare. We'd spent 6 months trying to get him to sign, before withdrawing our offer, he then joined you lot.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, looking back we escaped a nightmare. We'd spent 6 months trying to get him to sign, before withdrawing our offer, he then joined you lot.

Sometimes when you lose (out on signing Ryan Dow) you actually win and sometimes when you win (the signing race to get Ryan Dow) you actually lose.

Edited by frankthetank22

Dow had a good first touch and occasionally made very clever runs, a pity it was in three (maybe) of the fifty plus he played for us.

Dow had a good first touch and occasionally made very clever runs, a pity it was in three (maybe) of the fifty plus he played for us.

Yup. There’s definitely a player there. But far too rarely shows it.

I do think that this probably means another winger will come in.