The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

A wee glimpse at the BBC's Championship top scorers chart:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/top-scorers

Billy Mckay has taken fewer than half of the amount of shots that Lawrence Shankland has; fewer still than Stephen Dobbie; and has played 300-odd minutes fewer than either as well.

Which tells us what?

- That Dobbie is the focus point of our attack (we knew that).
 - That McKay has to share game time with a better supporting cast than we have, and probably than Shankland has.
 - That Dobbie takes on more shots at goal than anyone else does.

The most relevant stats on that link are that Dobbie is 90 mins per goal (he's far better than that if you include cup matches) which is a good 12 or 13 minutes ahead of both McKay and Shankland and that McKay, at 78%, is the most likely to put a shot on target, though that may simply reflect him being more of a penalty box striker than the other two. Not certain about Shankland but a lot of Dobbie's shots are from outside the box.

A very impressive 82% shots on target from Iain Flannigan in that list too. He's not even a forward!

23 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Which tells us what?

- That Dobbie is the focus point of our attack (we knew that).
 - That McKay has to share game time with a better supporting cast than we have, and probably than Shankland has.
 - That Dobbie takes on more shots at goal than anyone else does.

The most relevant stats on that link are that Dobbie is 90 mins per goal (he's far better than that if you include cup matches) which is a good 12 or 13 minutes ahead of both McKay and Shankland and that McKay, at 78%, is the most likely to put a shot on target, though that may simply reflect him being more of a penalty box striker than the other two. Not certain about Shankland but a lot of Dobbie's shots are from outside the box.

A very impressive 82% shots on target from Iain Flannigan in that list too. He's not even a forward!

Mckay's shots on targe is so high as before he started banging them in he was barely taking shots on goal, getting shunted to #2 striker for a while behind McManus, who's all effort and no end product most of the time.

Edited by Comrie

90 minutes per goal isn't THAT significant when you consider the hat tricks and more that he got at the start of the season.

I'd much rather have Shankland scoring one or two every game than Dobbie scoring four or five in a game and then not scoring for a while.

If I had to choose one, I’d take Dobbie over Shankland. He would out score Shankland playing for County if you could imagine two separate universes where they played for County.

I still pine for Liam Boyce [emoji22]

On 12/2/2018 at 20:51, Loki said:

If I had to choose one, I’d take Dobbie over Shankland. He would out score Shankland playing for County if you could imagine two separate universes where they played for County.

I still pine for Liam Boyce emoji22.png

Hopefully Boycie still pines for us.  Pretty cool to see him in the away end at Alloa.  

If your record transfer player doesn't return to watch your team at unfashionable away game, it means he hates the fans.

1 minute ago, staggiefan said:

Celcer Played for Parma or some other top flight Italian team....

Mind you Adams did manage to get 100k for Luckassen...

From memory Celver was on the books but never played. They had a policy of signing loads of players, loaning them out to see if they were any good and then dumping them if they weren’t. They had several hundred on their books at that time.

Celcer Played for Parma or some other top flight Italian team....
Mind you Adams did manage to get 100k for Luckassen...

I have a hard time believing that transfer was on the level. He and the non-league, ex-con striker Coyle lumbered is with two games. Something seriously up there.

Luckassen at least looked like he had the physical attributes to be a decent striker, but much like Jordan Slew was absolutely useless.

Fenlon wouldn't have been good enough to get in a Highland League side.

Luckassen at least looked like he had the physical attributes to be a decent striker, but much like Jordan Slew was absolutely useless.
Fenlon wouldn't have been good enough to get in a Highland League side.

I thought Jordan Slew was terrific. I don’t think I’ve seen a better athlete for County. He just had no composure. Slew and the centre half were the only two of that era of weirdo signings I thought were harshly treated.

Fenlon and Celcer were atrocious. Celcer’s own YouTube video was laughable, and I have no idea why he signed.

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I thought Jordan Slew was terrific. I don’t think I’ve seen a better athlete for County. He just had no composure. Slew and the centre half were the only two of that era of weirdo signings I thought were harshly treated.

Fenlon and Celcer were atrocious. Celcer’s own YouTube video was laughable, and I have no idea why he signed.

Slew athletically was unbelievable. 6'3", physical, quick for a big lad- but put him two yards out with an open goal and he'd somehow contrive to blaze it over. I sold him for £60m to Real Madrid on FIFA 13 so I'll always think of him fondly.

Bunglebonce commented in County v QotS thread:

"There was a moment in the first half where Queens were well set in their half and Cowie picked the ball up on the halfway line, with a good 15 yards of space to drive into, commit someone and pick out someone with a pass... he looked left and behind to pass to Watson and left the centre-back to try to make something happen.  This is a guy who has had a career in the top echelons of the English Championship and has 10 caps for Scotland as a midfielder.  That moment summed up how toothless so much of his play has been since his return.  He's an intelligent player in his pressing and and a remarkably unselfish player, but he has to put his stamp on a match in that midfield trio.  Otherwise it puts far too much of an onus on Jamie Lindsay to do everything, and he had a rare off-day in attempting too many one-touch passes in the final third (seeing as no-one else was).  

There's depth but it's all in the centre-forward position.  The team needs other options in attacking midfield roles: Dow and Paton are on loan and either could have been useful; Dingwall isn't going to cut it; DKD had his chance recently.  A chalk-on-the-boots winger with pace on the left would allow Gardyne to come inside again and could solve that."

• I think DKD should be offering this team more, and needs more belief in his (for me) undoubted abilities - and probably less time to make decisions!
  • Does Don reckon he has come home for semi-retirement? Or maybe not 100% fit?

Cowie also  blowing after half time means that when teams go forward/break on us, we're effectively a player short as he is often twenty or third yards behind his man. Lindsay and Draper are having to work too hard which is hampering them massively. We really need to have Vigurs sitting in front of the back four with Draper and Lindsay in front- letting Paton go out on loan seems like an absolutely mental idea now, we're crying out for pace and inventiveness and if it isn't coming from Mullin or Vigurs nobody is providing it right now.