The General Ross County Chat Thread

17 hours ago, Trump said:

Falkirk fans have maybe asked on this thread already (if so point me in the right direction) but what is your opinion of Jim McIntyre and if he does join Falkirk, what can we expect?

You'd get a decent season or two out of him, then he'll lose the plot, play bizarre teams, make honking transfer deals and fire into any lassies under 25 in town.

57 minutes ago, Comrie said:

You'd get a decent season or two out of him, then he'll lose the plot, play bizarre teams, make honking transfer deals and fire into any lassies under 25 in town.

And every few months there will be rumours of fall-outs with key players,  with these players then signing "mutual agreements" to leave the club and sign with rivals for free.

45 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

And every few months there will be rumours of fall-outs with key players,  with these players then signing "mutual agreements" to leave the club and sign with rivals for free.

On that note, Falkirk appointing him would mean they wouldn't ever see Ricky Foster in a Falkirk top.

39 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

On that note, Falkirk appointing him would mean they wouldn't ever see Ricky Foster in a Falkirk top.

Or Cikos, or Boyd, or a few others. His player turnover was mental, especially given the lines he trotted out about "stability" when he came in.  
Nothing stable about revolving door for players, tactical tombola, and nights at Johnny Foxes.

As bitter as the above sounds, I reckon I'd be a lot more measured about his time at County if it wasn't for the "he won the League Cup and was sacked on a whim, what were Ross County THINKING?!" bullshit that keeps getting trotted out.   I'm a very angry man.

@Trump Leaving aside the rumours that were doing the rounds by the end - McIntyre will probably get/keep Falkirk fit and have a decent spine to the team, and will broadly try to play decent football.  But, this is tempered by:

• a seeming tendency to experiment until something works (rather than seeming to derive a working tactical plan through measured thought - Boyce in midfield, Tumilty at rightwing, different formations every few weeks, etc. );
  • high player turnover (perhaps exacerbated by knowing Uncle Roy would give him what he wanted, he might be more measured at a club with less resources);
  • a maddening inability to see past his favourites (Martin Woods on set pieces for literally years being the worst/best example);
  • a maddening ability to decide that some of your best players are dead to him (perhaps exacerbated by the assumption Uncle Roy would just get him more players)

A few players, particularly forwards, also improved under him and his coaching team; how relevant that is may depend upon the coaching team he brings with him to his next job.  Conversely, some defenders regressed, likely due to a lack of confidence having being exposed by an ill-thought-out midfield selection, and a lack of balance in the defence itself (too many slow players, or too many weak players, etc.).  Oh, he also speaks well with the media, which was a breath of fresh air after Adams; thankfully we now have Kettlewell who speaks very well and honestly ]

Edited by dingdong1929

42 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

As bitter as the above sounds, I reckon I'd be a lot more measured about his time at County if it wasn't for the "he won the League Cup and was sacked on a whim, what were Ross County THINKING?!" bullshit that keeps getting trotted out.   I'm a very angry man.

Same with us and Hughes.

The press:  He won Inverness the cup and got them into Europe, how can they treat him like this?!!!11111eleven

Reality:  He won Inverness the cup and got them into Europe with Terry Butcher's squad, then got the biggest budget in the clubs history in 15-16 to build on that, and made an absolute cunt of it.  He then had the audacity to greet to the press that the board wouldn't give him any more money.

McIntyre's first five or so months were absolutely horrendous, one 0-3 win at Rugby Park aside. That 4-0 humping at Pittodrie was one of the lowest points of County's time in the Premiership, and I don't think anyone would have complained if he got the bullet after that. Fortunately he and Dodds managed to get a brilliant run together to keep County up that season (10 wins from 14).

The League Cup victory gets him a lot of goodwill but the league form over his tenure was inconsistent and characterised by a poor management (Scott Boyd), questionable recruitment, and baffling team selections.

21 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Same with us and Hughes.

The press:  He won Inverness the cup and got them into Europe, how can they treat him like this?!!!11111eleven

Reality:  He won Inverness the cup and got them into Europe with Terry Butcher's squad, then got the biggest budget in the clubs history in 15-16 to build on that, and made an absolute c**t of it.  He then had the audacity to greet to the press that the board wouldn't give him any more money.

Aye, a lot of folk tend to not bother doing any digging and just go with their gut-reaction, which is  usually based on very very minimal knowledge  amplified by the weight of their (usually poorly) preconceived opinions about 'wee diddy teuchter teams'.

ETA: Actually you could substitute just about anything for 'wee diddy teuchter teams'and it would stand true.  

Edited by dingdong1929

17 hours ago, staggy4life said:

Okay, I'm gonna say it...

Martin Woods' corners bet the first man more than Richie Brittain's corners ever did :unsure2:

Agreed to an extent, Richie's corners were not great.

A few minor niggles with our performance yesterday but generally really happy with how we played in that game. The midfield in spells play some lovely stuff. It was good to see McManus get a goal as well, took it with composure as well.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:10, MarkPockets said:

Playing the same manager for 2 weeks in a row at 2 different clubs can't have happened many times before in football history?

Just wait until he rejoins Raith later this week...