The General Ross County Chat Thread

20 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

FT 1 -2

Assuming Dylan Dykes is a defender tonight, that must have been a back 3? in some kind of a 3-3-4 shape with 4 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders

Marcus Fraser on the bench in case it all went pear-shaped.

4-4-2 with Tony Dingwall at RB and Stewart at RM according to some who were there.

19 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

Hmm. So Dow probably pushed back to midfield - top of midfield diamond maybe. Paton defensive mid and DKD & Stewart to left and right. Mibbe.

Close enough. 

To the surprise of absolutely nobody I can confirm that Tony Dingwall is not a right back. 

Liked the look of Ross Stewart I must say. 

22 hours ago, CountyFan said:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody I can confirm that Tony Dingwall is not a right back. 

Disappointing. He is going to have to make his case for inclusion in this very competitive squad where a place even on the bench will be keenly contested.

But then maybe a strong Reserve team is part of the cunning plan. With cunning advantages that I might not yet understand.

Tony's problem is that now and again he shows a bit of skill and people think he's going to finally make that breakthrough, then he gets a run and does absolutely nothing. He'll probably end up at Caley or Elgin in the near future.

Sadly for Tony he isn’t even in contention for a place on the bench with our midfield.

Still he will always have his Jeff Stelling moment - Tony Dingwall from Dingwall has scored in Dingwall for the Dingwall side.

8 hours ago, Comrie said:

Tony's problem is that now and again he shows a bit of skill and people think he's going to finally make that breakthrough, then he gets a run and does absolutely nothing. He'll probably end up at Caley or Elgin in the near future.

On 14/08/2018 at 19:28, forkboy said:

ribery.gif

Am I doing it correctly?

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

We’ve said that before....

....One of the lows of Derek Adams’ reign. Brian Graham ran our reserves ragged that night.

Jon Bateson.

Spoiler

According to Wiki and Soccerbase he hasn’t played a competitive game since!

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Jon Bateson.

Hide contents

According to Wiki and Soccerbase he hasn’t played a competitive game since!

Big Kova at centre half, that was an awful game to watch.

Brian Graham was mentioned by Markpockets on OTB - proposing he should start.

The question this raises for me is:

Has Brian Graham ever in his career had a run of starting games? 

(Probably did when at Raith)

And if not why not?

To me, he always looked worth more starts and appearances than he ever seemed to get, with us and with others e.g. Hibs. It was as if he was being undervalued as merely somebody tall to punt a ball up to.

12 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

Brian Graham was mentioned by Markpockets on OTB - proposing he should start.

The question this raises for me is:

Has Brian Graham ever in his career had a run of starting games? 

(Probably did when at Raith)

And if not why not?

To me, he always looked worth more starts and appearances than he ever seemed to get, with us and with others e.g. Hibs. It was as if he was being undervalued as merely somebody tall to punt a ball up to.

Discounting his loan spell with East Stirling in the fourth tier, I can only recall him getting one proper run while he was breaking through at Morton. James Grady had taken over and clearly made the decision that Graham, while still raw and struggling to score, was worth persisting with because he would eventually come good. So he persists for weeks with Graham in the team failing to score then after, from memory, eight games without a goal he gets one against Queen of the South.

Having had his persistence in picking him finally pay off, Grady then dropped him the next week and he was in and out the team from then on :lol:

He definitely played regularly at Raith though.

EDIT: Checked and I've got my wires crossed here. He actually got goals in Grady's first two games in charge after starting Irons' final game, then was dropped three games after that. He didn't manage two consecutive starts again under Grady.

The following season under Allan Moore he got a run of 13 consecutive games from October through to January, scoring 8 goals in that spell, before returning to the bench. The most consecutive starts he had after that was three, then he signed for Raith that summer.

Edited by Dunning1874

Graham eventually got a run of games for saints when he was on loan at us. Not sure that he improved the more he played tbh, he was the epitome of an impact sub.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

Graham eventually got a run of games for saints when he was on loan at us. Not sure that he improved the more he played tbh, he was the epitome of an impact sub.

He scored ten goals that season, and only two were off the bench. 

He had a run of twelve starts for us that season, and got five goals during it. It only ended when he was banned retrospectively for diving against ICT. 

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Discounting his loan spell with East Stirling in the fourth tier, I can only recall him getting one proper run while he was breaking through at Morton. James Grady had taken over and clearly made the decision that Graham, while still raw and struggling to score, was worth persisting with because he would eventually come good. So he persists for weeks with Graham in the team failing to score then after, from memory, eight games without a goal he gets one against Queen of the South.

Having had his persistence in picking him finally pay off, Grady then dropped him the next week and he was in and out the team from then on :lol:

He definitely played regularly at Raith though.

EDIT: Checked and I've got my wires crossed here. He actually got goals in Grady's first two games in charge after starting Irons' final game, then was dropped three games after that. He didn't manage two consecutive starts again under Grady.

The following season under Allan Moore he got a run of 13 consecutive games from October through to January, scoring 8 goals in that spell, before returning to the bench. The most consecutive starts he had after that was three, then he signed for Raith that summer.

5 hours ago, Widge said:

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He scored ten goals that season, and only two were off the bench. 

He had a run of twelve starts for us that season, and got five goals during it. It only ended when he was banned retrospectively for diving against ICT. 

thanks

Most strikers benefit from a run,  I guess, and his goals return actually compares quite well to most.

But then BG may be used by now to getting inconsistent chances to play. 

Pretty sure Dow was technically under contract on the same type of deal as everyone else where we either kept him on his Premiership wages (like we did with Naismith before selling him) or had to offer him a cut-price contract after relegation where he could walk away if he wanted (like a few elected to do). I don't think we ever had the option to send him packing for free.