The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Never heard of him and we don't really need him? 

Seems a bit odd.  There are a couple of positions we're significantly weaker in than striker, but it's a very strong front line whomever they pick.

Dear the BBC

Imagine my outrage and chagrin to come home this evening only to find no sign of a match report on your Scottish Football page. Ross County appreciators are not accustomed to this shabby treatment.  Ameliorate this lamentable state of affairs PDQ !!

Yours disgruntledly

LW of C

Vigurs-oriented musings from the Alloa game:

- you can see that Vigurs was a valuable re-acquisition. Influential, accurate, creative, skilful and strong. Much more cultured than I personally remembered.

There did seem to be a gap in front of Kelly. This seemed to be something that the front two and the midfield covered in a defensive sense, but there appeared to be a lack of wide left attacking option. Meanwhile on the Right, Mullin was having a great time. Having said that, Kelly also got well forward on many occasions, so I guess the shape was also rotating around from the back too.

Would we have got away with this "vagueness" or perhaps "fluidity" of structure with a more threatening opponent? Quite possibly - I think the 2018/19 team has so far looked better at creative fluidity and movement off the ball. A bit more "total football"y than the lack of ideas we saw at times last season. Vigurs in particular was involved everywhere. 

Vigurs drifted out of the game at times when Draper was on the pitch, after the change he was far more involved and everything good we did came through him at some point.

One thing I have noticed so far- Mckay looks lost at the minute. It's still early days but I'm not sure him and McManus work as a duo. With Graham looking sharp when he came on and Dow being in good form so far, he might find himself the #3 or #4 option up front. He's working hard but nothing's falling his way.

10 minutes ago, Comrie said:

... With Graham looking sharp when he came on and Dow being in good form so far, he might find himself the #3 or #4 option up front. He's working hard but nothing's falling his way.

Good competition will hopefully ensure we always have good options. I wonder who will start up front v Pars. Presumably Graham may not yet be fit for a 90mins. 

1 minute ago, staggy4life said:

McManus and Mckay were playing like two No.10's. Can't see them working together as a partnership at the moment but either of them up top with Graham should be more effective.

I agree but both McManus and McKay are in my view quite capable of being more of a No. 9. 

There's nobody pure No.2 anyway.

3 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

Did he play for St Mirren (v Dundee) due to chronic lack of strikers then?

Yes he did play yesterday, and played quite well beside Danny Mullen. He gave the Dundee central defenders a difficult time before coming off late in the second half.

He’s definitely working progress with loads of promise.He just needs to add a bit of Steele and physicality to his game. Personally I would be sending him out on loan to get more experience, but it appears he might be going on a permenant deal, to make way for new signings.

12 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Yes he did play yesterday, and played quite well beside Danny Mullen. He gave the Dundee central defenders a difficult time before coming off late in the second half.

He’s definitely working progress with loads of promise.He just needs to add a bit of Steele and physicality to his game. Personally I would be sending him out on loan to get more experience, but it appears he might be going on a permenant deal, to make way for new signings.

I thought he was very poor. Lost every physical challenge, didn't hold the ball up and cannot direct a header. Also hopeless at closing defences down as he stands off defenders far too much instead on getting on top of them (Flynn being a good example on Saturday). He had some nice touches but overall his contribution was not enough. Mullen at half the size gave the Dundee defence far more problems.

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I thought he was very poor. Lost every physical challenge, didn't hold the ball up and cannot direct a header. Also hopeless at closing defences down as he stands off defenders far too much instead on getting on top of them (Flynn being a good example on Saturday). He had some nice touches but overall his contribution was not enough. Mullen at half the size gave the Dundee defence far more problems.

You can keep him then...

25 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

You can keep him then...

He seems a nice lad and keen to improve but he needs a far more aggressive attitude as well as some building up. Done well on loan at Alloa  but couldn't get a game with us in the Championship never mind the Premiership. He is fast and ok at reading a game but needs space to play in as he simply doesn't do the physical stuff. Maybe a wide role would suit him better  but as he is so tall he is taken as a natural centre forward. But we need the money so he is yours.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

He seems a nice lad and keen to improve but he needs a far more aggressive attitude as well as some building up. Done well on loan at Alloa  but couldn't get a game with us in the Championship never mind the Premiership. He is fast and ok at reading a game but needs space to play in as he simply doesn't do the physical stuff. Maybe a wide role would suit him better  but as he is so tall he is taken as a natural centre forward. But we need the money so he is yours.

Ach, if he’s a nice lad we’ll have him, money’s not an issue...

13 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Ach, if he’s a nice lad we’ll have him, money’s not an issue...

That's the spirit! :) But play him as a winger if you want some value for your money.

Edited by NorthBank

That's the spirit! [emoji4] But play him as a winger if you want some value for your money.

I would be surprised if we play him at all. My guess he’s being signed as a Brian Graham type for the reserves.

Edit: as opposed to Brian Graham, who was signed to be a Brian Graham type for the first team.