The General Ross County Chat Thread

Another thing that was notable was quite how much Gardyne and Dingwall tended to overload together on one flank, whether Dingwall drifted to the left or Gardyne to the right.  It'll be interesting to see against United if that is a deliberate tactic that is being developed, or just a result of playing two wide midfielders who would rather cut in against weaker opposition.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:12, bunglebonce said:

Another thing that was notable was quite how much Gardyne and Dingwall tended to overload together on one flank, whether Dingwall drifted to the left or Gardyne to the right.  It'll be interesting to see against United if that is a deliberate tactic that is being developed, or just a result of playing two wide midfielders who would rather cut in against weaker opposition.

I like it and think that it reminded me of Croatia's Perisic and others.  Great if you can have that movement that is still intelligent enough to read what might happen next if you get countered on; and can move again to avoid being outnumbered in another area.

There seemed to be decent fluidity elsewhere too, like Draper going third centre-half at times. Morris also happy to go on a run forward.

A Dow assist for the winner- I'm living in some dreamland where Owen Coyle is a an almost forgotten nightmare, surely?

McManus was brilliant apart from his finishing, again.  Mckay was very quiet and didn't look at the same level of performance by comparison - I've seen him play brilliantly for County under SFSK so why is it only happening sparingly?  Lindsay is growing into a fine midfielder.  County were the better side overall but they were too 'boxy' in their shape and predictable with their 442 at times - there wasn't enough of the fluid movement among the front four compared to the Elgin match and they were easily marked at times.

Daft, daft penalty to concede which arrived from County doddling with the ball on the edge of their own box before being intercepted and forcing a challenge.  I'd never seen Fox save a pen during 90 minutes before, so the double-save was great to witness and hopefully that is the beginning of better form for him this season.  Gardyne should have had a penalty of his own from a shoulder barge by Murdoch in the box.

Dow did more in fewer than 10 mins than Mckay did in the rest of the match.  A couple of twists before a lovely cross from the right found Jamie Lindsay, who arrived late unmarked between the centre-backs, Kettlewell-style.  I'd be happy to see more of McManus and Dow together, because McManus and Mckay didn't seem to strike up a partnership (very early days for that yet though).

Drapes and Lindsay WILL form a good partnership this season. Bare in mind, we’ve beaten title contenders without Vigurs in central midfield, and Fontaine in central defence. Dec McManus looking like an upgrade on Craig Curran too. Really looking forward to this season.

Have to say I’ve not felt that good walking away from the stadium for a good while. Albeit we only won 1-0 but if that’s one of our contenders for the league this year, I’ll be extremely confident. We dominated everything, only disappointment I have is that we don’t get a few more shots on goal especially outside the box. Fox saving that penalty so early in the season will do his confidence wonders. The celebration pile up of every player showed the passion they had last night, that goal felt great. Ketts on the side celebrating like everyone in the stand shows me all I need to know about his commitment and desire for this club! Lindsay McManus Mullins Watson and Morris were superb. DKD and Ryan Dow also excellent when they came on, Fergwell will have a dilemma who to start between the wingers! Brilliant win! Buzzing

9 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

Let's just get the name Mullin right from the start. It is Mullin. Without an 's'.

And another point: - Ryan Dow Rules btw.

That's all for now.

No it isn't.  We need a formal ruling on the shorthand moniker we give our management team.  I've seen Fergiewell, Ferguswell, Kettleson, SFSK (SKSF is also an option), and now Fergwell.    Which is it to be?   I was firmly in the Kettleson camp, but SFSK makes them sound like the sort of central European team that would hammer St Johnstone (other teams have lost badly) in the pre-pre-pre qualifiers for the Europa League.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

No it isn't.  We need a formal ruling on the shorthand moniker we give our management team.  I've seen Fergiewell, Ferguswell, Kettleson, SFSK (SKSF is also an option), and now Fergwell.    Which is it to be?   I was firmly in the Kettleson camp, but SFSK makes them sound like the sort of central European team that would hammer St Johnstone (other teams have lost badly) in the pre-pre-pre qualifiers for the Europa League.

SKSF has a slightly more remote Eurasian ring to it...

59 minutes ago, Defender said:

Any highlights to be seen of the Dundee United match?

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

side note -  there has been an improvement in the social media posting recently from the club (not great but better than it was) so maybe we'll see the return of some form of highlights from the club, but for the time being.......nope.

2 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

side note -  there has been an improvement in the social media posting recently from the club (not great but better than it was) so maybe we'll see the return of some form of highlights from the club, but for the time being.......nope.

I've noticed that as well.  It only really amounts to photographs of training - which I'm slightly surprised the managers allowed - but it's a definite improvement from the absolutely nothing we got last year.  

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

You could set up a poll. Then anyone who gives a thingy can give their preference.

Spoiler

Then people whose choice was not the most popular can still undermine consistency by using a different moniker anyway.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Oakley-fires-warning-to-title-rivals-19072018.htm

“There are teams coming down into the Championship who don’t know what the league is like,” he said.

Really good point by George Oakley here...no wait every County player in the main squad has played in the Championship before apart from Dow, Mckay, and DKD. :rolleyes: