The General Ross County Chat Thread

11 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Don't think so. He's certainly a big fella but not particularly tall. Good solid defender though,  dirty as f**k. Not averse to throwing his elbow in where it hurts. Excellent player at this level if he stays fit.

Transfermarkt have him at 187cm which seems about right to me. 

Just getting this out there.

As well Morris being geographically inept he is also bombscare material, enjoy his term of employment.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

And wiki have him at 178cm, which seems more accurate to me. Anyway, it's a minor point. He'll be a good signing either way.

Nah no chance, he's a fairly big bloke. I've been around him before and I'd have him down as 6'2 ish, maybe take an inch, I'm 179cm and he had a bit of height on me. 

He's a great character to have around the dressing room apparently and is a good championship defender, will have the occasional moment and will be at fault for a couple of goals but that's the case with nearly every defender ever. 

You look light up top though. 

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don't blame him for leaving but when your captain leaves for another club and isn't forthcoming with the truth you have to wonder what's going on. County must be awkward for him, it's odd he seemed happy at the pars?

He didn't want to stay at Dunfermline. That's not awkward for him.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

No, but hinting to fans he would be resigning, then telling the Chairman he then wanted to further his career down south and then signing for a team further north than the Polar Bears at Kingussie means things will be awkward on his return to EEP.

He's the new George O'Boyle.

14 minutes ago, Piracy said:

No, but hinting to fans he would be resigning, then telling the Chairman he then wanted to further his career down south and then signing for a team further north than the Polar Bears at Kingussie means things will be awkward on his return to EEP.

He's the new George O'Boyle.

Only because some football fans are entitled bell-ends. That's not Morris' problem.

The travel is. Even if it's more money is he moving up there or commuting. It's more than a new challenge seems like he was desperate to get away. To anywhere.

39 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

The travel is. Even if it's more money is he moving up there or commuting. It's more than a new challenge seems like he was desperate to get away. To anywhere.

They don’t call it costa del Dingwall for no reason...

Quite happy with the business thus far this summer. I think we need another striker and possible cover/alternative left back, Kelly will be decent at this level but the fact he was out for the majority of last season injured speaks volumes... 'Boomer' would be good - a young player and probably wouldn't command much wages...

How familiar is anyone with our development squad? Is there any chance we might supplement with them over and above the promoted youth players if there's any injuries? For example who will be the left back for the development squad this year and is he any good? At this level especially, other clubs can and do operate like that - use a youth player or sign/emergency-loan someone as and when needed if there's injuries. I'd obviously prefer to have proper left-back cover in the squad (maybe Fontaine moving over is the plan there) but just curious as to if that would be a likely alternative approach.

Kyle Johnson tended to be the left-back last season, although he was more of a left-sided centre-back playing as a full-back.  I thought he was decent albeit not as adventurous as McLaughlin, but he was released.   Blair Malcolm was used at left-back before Johnson but that was more of a case of fitting him somewhere in the team, when he is more of a midfielder.  I don't know who the left-back will be this season.  Unless there are any other signings I think Fraser will cover at left-back in the first team.

Grivosti (burly, ball-playing centre-back), MacIver (tall but technical wide midfielder/forward), Ashmore (released) and Wallace (wee inside forward) were the players that caught my eye most in the u20s last season, I can't think of anyone else who was already there who would step up.  Then again sometimes a player's development can suddenly accelerate through the age groups, and RB will be on the lookout for drop-outs from other teams à la Dykes and McLaughlin.

ETA: Tom Kelly is a good enough right-back for the 20s, but he wasn't at the level of Stephen Miller who never got a chance in the first team back in the day.  I can't remember if Kelly was kept on.

Edited by bunglebonce

We now have a squad of 24 (assuming Davies, Schalk and JOB are away). For a bit of perspective, St Mirren had a squad of 31 at the end of last season and Inverness played 24 players throughout the season. Fair to say, we can maybe expect a couple more signings but not much. With the signings we've made and the possibility to blend youth and experience, I'm really getting quite optimistic about this season.

Money on Morris and McManus to score on their return to EEP

1 hour ago, Spain said:

How familiar is anyone with our development squad? Is there any chance we might supplement with them over and above the promoted youth players if there's any injuries? For example who will be the left back for the development squad this year and is he any good? At this level especially, other clubs can and do operate like that - use a youth player or sign/emergency-loan someone as and when needed if there's injuries.

Emergency loans are no more though so you can't do that. And outwith a window you could only sign a free agent which severely limits your options.

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

We all know what the draw of County is.......

Spoiler

yNsJp0mJB4gWQYushPidBIlCxoDJsuhKSYFztjXo

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Unless there are any other signings I think Fraser will cover at left-back in the first team.

This could happen, but I really don't see it as being Plan A.  Fraser chose to stay when he could have left on a free.  Would he have stayed if there was a realistic prospect of him playing as a makeshift left-back all of next season?  We know his preferred position is centre-back, so I think he'll have been given assurances that's where he'll play.  He might even be made captain with Davies all but away.