The General Ross County Chat Thread

18 hours ago, MarkPockets said:

Did Dow re-signing ever get an official announcement or is it still rumours?

Guessing someone from the club read this, realised they'd forgotten to announce it, and now have:

47 appearances!  I counted 38 of those that I have watched, four of which I would count as good performances where he had an influence on the match, plus he scored the winner against Aberdeen.

Granted, a lot of the time he has been put on the wing and has been given more defending than attacking work to do when he'd rather be playing a more central role, but at the same time he's been given plenty opportunities to prove himself and hasn't.  Maybe dropping a level will help him, but I don't think that playing against lesser opposition will stop him from hiding from the ball or ducking out of challenges.

He barely played under SF+SK in the last ten matches of the season, only 15% of the minutes available to him (and that's skewed by playing the full 90 minutes in the first match under them).  If they rated him he'd have played more; if he had better offers he'd be elsewhere.  Hopefully I'm wrong on this but I can't see how that stacks up for a promising campaign for him.

I should say that when he was used as a makeshift central midfielder, such as in the 2-4 loss to Aberdeen, he acquitted himself a lot better than some others.

Guessing with our glut of central midfielders Dow will be used out wide. 

Which does not fill me with confidence.

I'm gonna take pelters for this but....... I like it. Option from the bench, experience, can play in any attacking position. Remember, we're a division below now. Players don't have to be as good. There's obviously a player in there and if we can get that player out more often then maybe we'll look back on this differently

32 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

I'm gonna take pelters for this but....... I like it. Option from the bench, experience, can play in any attacking position. Remember, we're a division below now. Players don't have to be as good. There's obviously a player in there and if we can get that player out more often then maybe we'll look back on this differently

If he played every game half as well as the three games a season he plays well in, he'd be a star.  I think at this point, though, he is what he is.  The consistency is never going to come. I agree with you; he's Worth taking a punt on as there's clearly talent there, unlike Sean Kelly who is just hopeless.

Edited by Savage Henry

27 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I don't think that's true.

I hope you're right.  I really don't see it.   Maybe he turns out to be the Gary Glenn of left backs - a guy who simply isn't cut out for the top flight, but can do a passable job in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Worth taking a punt on as there's clearly talent there, unlike Sean Kelly who is just hopeless.

I think you're being harsh on Kelly too. He had a run of a few games where he seemed to be linking up well with DKD on our left side, they looked to be forming a decent understanding. 

A combination of a few things not all necessary his fault resulted in him getting absolutely ripped apart. Naismith being so strong on our right side meant opponents would target our left, DKD's lack of tracking back meant Kelly often had a wide attacker and an advancing full back to contend with plus with Fraser at right side centre half beside Davies opponents were targeting Marcus by crossing from our Kelly's side to the back post, a good tactic as it meant Davies wasn'table to complete for the high ball's. 

He maybe could or should have done better but his confidence was shot in a couple of matches after what looked to be the start of a decent run for him last season. There's no way he's going to be up against the same quality of winger this season so hopefully he can get a run in the first team and develope his game and build his confidence again. 

I forgot to update this with Kelly at the time, but here's where we're at now.

Signed (* Promoted Youth Players)
Fox
Fraser
Fontaine
Kelly
Lindsay
Vigurs
Draper
Mullin
Mckay
McManus
Gardyne
Keillor-Dunn
Dow
Dykes
G. Morrison
T. Dingwall
R. Dingwall
* Grivosti
* McIver
* Munro
* Wallace

TBC
Davies (sounds all but gone)
JOB (no word - although rumours at the end of last season suggest he was going to go)
Schalk (sounds all but gone)

Gone
Naismith (sold)
Routis
Curran
Mikkelsen
Chow
N'Gog
McCarey
Tumilty
Malcolm
Foden
S. Morrison
Ashmore
Kyle Johnson
Tansey
Kait
Melbourne
Souttar

FWIW I also think SH is being overly harsh on Kelly. He was more than solid enough at this level for St Mirren before we signed him, and he started reasonably for us but he was never going to be Naismith standard. Is he or will he ever be Premiership standard? Probably not, but we're not in the Premiership anymore and he's more than good enough for this level.

48 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:
Another nonsense post from SH!

Contribute something of interest yourself and you might have a case.  Edit: kind of ironic when you just lambasted Ryan Dow earlier in the thread.  Guess you're the only one entitled to nonsense posts?

Edited by Savage Henry