The General Ross County Chat Thread

Rough morning. Fee agreed with Peterborough for Naismith, and Davies is all but away, according to Ferguson. He wanted to keep both. Along with Schalk, our three best players are all off.

Frans has turned us down for Dundee United.

Davies of last season won’t really be missed, Davies of 16-17 will. Naismith realistically was never going to stay, the only reason he never got renegotiated terms was to safeguard a transfer fee, he is great but not irreplaceable. 

Interesting to to see who we get in, I think that Halkett from Livi is still a free transfer, he looked quality in the playoffs! It’s exciting to see who we get but really do think we are 4/5 players away from a decent squad..

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Rough morning. Fee agreed with Peterborough for Naismith, and Davies is all but away, according to Ferguson. He wanted to keep both. Along with Schalk, our three best players are all off.

Frans has turned us down for Dundee United.

Schalk & Naismith were always stick ons to go. 

It's probably in our own interest financially that Davies goes, as good as he is in the air, there was a distinct drop in form from him last season, although he would stroll the Championship. 

It looks like DU are going completely balls oot to win the league, hopefully they have overstretched their budget with Frans and handing out a 3 year deal to Curran, I think Clark is a good signing for them though.

I believe we're taking shape quite well, happy with Fontaine and Fraser as a right back predominantly, and a back up centre half when required. Gary Warren is an obvious if not a lazy option, he's suffered badly through injury but by all accounts looked good in ict's good end of season run. The squad is lacking on the left side and a first choice left back must be a priority as well as someone to partner Fontaine. 

Edited by frankthetank22

5 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Schalk & Naismith were always stick ons to go. 

It's probably in our own interest financially that Davies goes, as good as he is in the air, there was a distinct drop in form from him last season, although he would stroll the Championship. 

It looks like DU are going completely balls oot to win the league, hopefully they have overstretched their budget with Frans and handing out a 3 year deal to Curran, I think Clark is a good signing for them though.

I believe we're taking shape quite well, happy with Fontaine and Fraser as a right back predominantly, and a back up centre half when required. Gary Warren is an obvious if not a lazy option, he's suffered badly through injury but by all accounts looked good in ict's good end of season run. The squad is lacking on the left side and a first choice left back must be a priority as well as someone to partner Fontaine. 

Utd looked good in pre-season last year too, signing up good players like Fyvie, Stanton and MacDonald.  Didn't work out for them.

We're definently short in the middle and down the left.

Really not bothered about Davies, had a good first two seasons with us but was a disaster waiting to happen too often last season. Hobbling off repeatedly before half time did not help us one bit. Naismith going will hurt, but he's too good for the second tier. Good luck to him.

I'll always be appreciative of how good Davies was in his first couple of seasons.  Once the injuries started racking up and he started playing through the pain, he wasn't as effective.  He would absolutely boss the Championship, even now.  Gary Warren would be a very like-for-like replacement.  I'd rather have someone younger and faster and with a bit more composure, although the way the team is taking shape it looks like it might be quite direct next season - Livingston II if you will.

A three year deal to Craig Curran is insane.  That guy is one concussion away from retirement, and the way he plays he's very likely to get it.  Schalk's such a good guy, I rather wonder if I'm over-rating his importance to the first team.  I would say that of all the goals in County's history, he's scored by far the most significant.

I'd be a bit concerned if the back four was:

Someone Fraser Fontaine Kelly

Unless that someone was absolutely class, it looks a bit weak at the back.  I wonder if Keown of Partick Thistle might not be somebody they've looked at.  I'd imagine Partick will let him go on a free.

Edited by Savage Henry
An additional thought or two.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

We're definently short in the middle and down the left.

Joe Cardle looking for a new club. Has his coaching badges now too. On his day

Spoiler

(about 4 times a season)

he can still tear it up at this level.

Joe Cardle made his last start for Ross County in a 1-2 loss at home to St Mirren in Jan '15, which was the lowest ebb for the club in the top flight up until Owen Coyle arrived.  St Mirren had Yoann Arquin sent off in the first half, but were inspired by Kenny Mclean up front in a narrow 4-4-1.  The way to beat them was to stretch the team and beat them on the outside.  Cardle repeatedly congested the middle by coming in from the left, to lose the ball and allow St Mirren to counter-attack.  It was one failed dribble inside too many, even for Jim McIntyre who rated Cardle as much as anybody.  Cardle probably still wonders what he did wrong!  He spent the rest of the season on the bench with Raffa De Vita coming in and doing the same but with a final product.

The one and only time Cardle started from the right - a 1-1 draw at ICT earlier that season - I thought he had his best match, because he could go both ways against the full-back.

He also produced one of my favourite ever moments against Hibs in a League Cup loss, which was a through-pass from the edge of the box that was disguised as a top-bin volley, cushioned lovingly into Arquin's path for another missed one-on-one.  

Edited by bunglebonce

I've heard that Cardle's going to Raith, to do a joint player/coach role. He was an incredibly frustrating player in his time here, as bungle says, tried to cut in far too often when he was played out on the left. I wish we still had Carey at times.

8 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I've heard that Cardle's going to Raith, to do a joint player/coach role. He was an incredibly frustrating player in his time here, as bungle says, tried to cut in far too often when he was played out on the left. I wish we still had Carey at times.

Carey remains my yardstick of how piss poor League One is down in England.  I thought he was no better than One Foot Cardle, although I wouldn't say no to him with the current squad.  

Joe Cardle made his last start for Ross County in a 1-2 loss at home to St Mirren in Jan '15, which was the lowest ebb for the club in the top flight up until Owen Coyle arrived.  St Mirren had Yoann Arquin sent off in the first half, but were inspired by Kenny Mclean up front in a narrow 4-4-1.  The way to beat them was to stretch the team and beat them on the outside.  Cardle repeatedly congested the middle by coming in from the left, to lose the ball and allow St Mirren to counter-attack.  It was one failed dribble inside too many, even for Jim McIntyre who rated Cardle as much as anybody.  Cardle probably still wonders what he did wrong!  He spent the rest of the season on the bench with Raffa De Vita coming in and doing the same but with a final product.
The one and only time Cardle started from the right - a 1-1 draw at ICT earlier that season - I thought he had his best match, because he could go both ways against the full-back.
He also produced one of my favourite ever moments against Hibs in a League Cup loss, which was a through-pass from the edge of the box that was disguised as a top-bin volley, cushioned lovingly into Arquin's path for another missed one-on-one.  

Memory from that game was a very very young Lewis Morgan coming on halfway through the second half and ripping the piss out of our defence. I remember saying, he’ll be quite good in a few years. Sadly, Sellick will ensure we’ll not see much of him until he goes out on loan at Christmas

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

A three year deal to Craig Curran is insane.  That guy is one concussion away from retirement, and the way he plays he's very likely to get it. 

I suspect all these fraught prognoses are nonsense, natch, but you'll be familiar with the concept of insurance, I presume.

I suspect all these fraught prognoses are nonsense, natch, but you'll be familiar with the concept of insurance, I presume.

He spent several months out with multiple concussions. Football handles head trauma terribly. And you’ll be aware that pre existing conditions are not always covered, I presume.