The General Ross County Chat Thread

Good friends who are neighbours of Andrew Davies, and teacher at his kids' school, reliably inform me that the Davies house is available to let, and the Davies kid(s?) is/are not appearing back at that school after the summer.

Despite how I started to feel about him towards the end of last season, if in actual fact he's NOT past it and a return to proper physical health and fitness is realistic, then I'm pretty gutted to be losing him - though not at all surprised.

Viking Lounge back in the day in the National Hotel.  Had to contend with big John the welder who's dad had a Taxi, first night in the boozer he wanted to rip my head off.

Ross County were a Highland League team at the time and I also drank in the Cottage in Maryburgh and couple of times in the Droughty Duck.

Are any of these boozers still open?

The only one still open is The Cottage. The Viking was turned into a coffee shop, now closed. The Drouthy Duck, my pub of preference back in the day, loads of good memories, sadly lies empty and has done for a good few years now.

£250K is what I would expect for Naismith given the previous 2 seasons sales of Irvine and Boyce. All 3 worth much more than their respective transfer fees but that's what happens when you sell players in Scotland

To be fair, both Boyce and Irvine had release clauses, which were subsequently met. Irvine would never have signed for us without one, and Boyce’s was written into his reworked contract when it began to look obvious he was a class apart.

I don’t believe Naismith has, so County can afford to hold out a bit.

The club does tend to be player-friendly to a greater extent than other rivals, which helps sign them but then makes the club look somewhat soft.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

The club does tend to be player-friendly to a greater extent than other rivals, which helps sign them but then makes the club look somewhat soft.

This is pretty much the main reason I think 250K will be the benchmark that needs to be reached. Also, defenders almost always go for less than they are worth. Important to remember, 250K is a lot of money when we are in the championship (even if we do have the biggest budget in Scotland;))

Surely has to go. Only came to us in the first place as an opportunity to forward his career. It should be a no-brainer to go to someone the size of Sunderland who should be aiming to push back up the leagues.

11 minutes ago, Spain said:

Surely has to go. Only came to us in the first place as an opportunity to forward his career. It should be a no-brainer to go to someone the size of Sunderland who should be aiming to push back up the leagues.

Yeah.  Wouldn't begrudge him (or any player) for leaving.  That said, he was very happy about the three and a half year deal we gave him, so he might feel an added sense of loyalty for that.   Purely wishful thinking though.

This is pretty much the main reason I think 250K will be the benchmark that needs to be reached. Also, defenders almost always go for less than they are worth. Important to remember, 250K is a lot of money when we are in the championship (even if we do have the biggest budget in Scotland[emoji6])

Think Scottish defenders stock are pretty high these days considering Patterson, Lindsay, Douglas, Robertson all doing well in England so we should hold tight.
Hardball Royston!

If Naismith was a better player than Hendry then he would have been at the centre of County's defence last season and waltzing through teams with the ball at his feet, before being sold to Celtic within six months.

If I was a purchasing chairman or director of football, I'd be looking at:-

* Ross County don't historically sell players for high fees
* Naismith is with a club in Scotland's second tier, unlike all the names in the last couple of posts
* Naismith has been relegated twice already.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I can't see him going for more than £250k plus a sell-on.

Aye, I can't see Naismith going for more then £300,000 all in. As excellent as he has been since arriving 18 months ago, he's at a First Division level team. 

He'd been foolish not to take a move down to England. A season at a top-end League One side (and he has all the attributes to stroll it at that level) is, objectively, a bit more enticing than a season at a top-end SPFL Championship club. 

I think £350k will see him go and I don't blame him. Still young and will be on multiple times what we can offer salary wise.