The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

@Matty-RCFC that’s the way to do it if Mckay isn’t a first-choice.  I think there will be a need to have a poacher for a lot of games, but a 4231 looks promising.

The only thing a 4-2-3-1 with McManus at the top of it promises is a shortage of goals. He's a capable enough footballer but not really a big enough scorer at this level (unless County are going to sweep other clubs away and just leave McManus with tap ins anyway). He's a forward, in the last couple of seasons anyway, who can be characterised as more about hard work than significant goalscoring.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Mark Hateley's name has unsurprisingly appeared on the most hated players thread. What was the story with his time with you? I have vague memories of him being appointed manager but not seeing the week out as he was such a twat or was his brief time with you just as a player? 

37 minutes ago, forkboy said:

He was never manager here. He played 2 games, I think both were away from home so I never actually saw him but from what I remember it basically came down to Cooper deciding he was having a negative impact on the squad, & Hately through a hissy fit saying he "bottled it". Which sort of proved Cooper's point really.

Dunno if he's really worth hating mind, he was no Gary McSwegan or David Hannah, they were all mediocre overpaid pish on long-term deals, so that's more my hate list as far as Staggies go.

Yep - 2 games Alloa and Stirling Albion both away, lost both 2-0 if memory serves. Absolute arsehole of a man as evidenced by the hissy fit forkboy mentions.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Mark Hateley's name has unsurprisingly appeared on the most hated players thread. What was the story with his time with you? I have vague memories of him being appointed manager but not seeing the week out as he was such a twat or was his brief time with you just as a player? 

Most of this has been covered, but Cooper also 'complained' (in his tongue in cheek style) that having Hately up front for us was too motivating for the opposition.
Teams seemed to try even harder if it meant they could get one over the lanky-haired p***k.

Ketts prefers a 3-5-2 with the 3 becoming a 5/vice versa. Could see a team of:

Fox

Fraser(C) - Fontaine - ???

Mullin (rwb) - Gardyne/??? (lwb)

Vigurs - Draper - Lindsay 

McManus - Mackay

Personally think we need 2CB assuming Davies has left, 1 LB/LWB, 1 ST. Subs I’d imagine would be mostly packed out with Youth Team players/promotes guys. Still don’t see a place for either Of the Dingwall boys. Grivosti is a LB(?) Dykes CM and DKD/MacIver/Morrison attackers... 

Overall decent business ness so far but could do with a few more experienced players in the door....

Edited by StoneThrowAway

@StoneThrowAway Grivosti is very much a centre-back.  Kyle Johnson was between centre and left-back for the u20s last season but was released.  

I'm not 100% convinced at this stage SFSK prefer one system over another.  The squad at the end of the last season lended itself well to 3-5-2 because Naismith was the team's best player and the wingers were flaky or non-existant.  Kettlewell barely (but sometimes) used three at the back for the u20s.  It would be a poor manager to not be able to switch systems to suit the squad.  It'll be interesting from my point of view to see how it pans out, now there is a chance to re-shape the squad.

Edited by bunglebonce

Anyway, we're still very short on defenders. Especially if Naismith goes. A starting LB and another defender for cover and that might be us for now. But I wouldn't be surprised to see more.

Aye, I can't see County paying a (relatively) substantial wage for a back-up goalkeeper. 

A left-back (Kelly would probably be ok at this level; also, any more on the McLaughlin story?) and probably another centre-back/right-back should Naismith go.  I'd like to see a big, strapping, preferably foreign, siege-engine of a centre-forward arrive this summer.