The General Ross County Chat Thread

Unless McShane has improved considerably while at St Mirren, I'm not not sure why SKSF would want him back. My lasting memory is an absolute powderpuff pairing alongside Martin Woods for several games, after Jackson Irvine departed.

Hopefully any midfielder playing under Ketts & Fergie would have the powderpuff mentality knocked out of them pretty quick. Getting out from under being Woods' understudy has hopefully done McShane some benefit.

Hopefully any midfielder playing under Ketts & Fergie would have the powderpuff mentality knocked out of them pretty quick. Getting out from under being Woods' understudy has hopefully done McShane some benefit.

You’re forgetting that with the exception of a couple of free kicks which extended his place in the team, the reason Woods was ahead of him was that he was considerably better

9 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

You’re forgetting that with the exception of a couple of free kicks which extended his place in the team, the reason Woods was ahead of him was that he was considerably better

In fairness, that one game against Aberdeen saw McShane absolutely boss the game. If he had been that influential every week, he'd be at a far bigger club than County or St Mirren.   There's definitely a player there, but he's far too passive.   It'd be a very underwhelming move given that, I think, McShane is what McShane is.

41 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I saw you guys under Coyle and it was grim but what is your new(ish) management team like? McManus and Vigurs are superb signings. 

For the first few weeks the team was thrilling to watch.  They were direct, aggressive, got on with things quickly and made sure they competed for every single play for the ball.  A bit like Livi I suppose, a lot like Motherwell in the top flight as well.

There was also a safety-first element to the play and County rarely made more chances than the other team as time went on.  As the results still didn't come through with the early performances, confidence went down and the team started hoofing it aimlessly, as opposed to the better quality direct football a few weeks earlier.

It's difficult to sample on ten matches where they couldn't afford any mistakes. I think it will be a balance of Livi-style ethos with some higher-budget players.  The only player that one could argue who wouldn't naturally fit that in the squad so far would be Vigurs, I guess, but I would argue otherwise to a large extent and County have got the best out of him before.

Edited by bunglebonce

7 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

I'm hopeful that with his time away lovejoy has matured, and improved a bit with it.

(That is if he is to come back on a one year deal)

Mark Hateley's name has unsurprisingly appeared on the most hated players thread. What was the story with his time with you? I have vague memories of him being appointed manager but not seeing the week out as he was such a twat or was his brief time with you just as a player? 

Updated now that Fraser's staying on:

Signed (* Promoted Youth Players)
Fox
Fraser
Naismith
Fontaine
Lindsay
Vigurs
Draper
Mullin
Mckay
McManus
Gardyne
Keillor-Dunn
Dykes
G. Morrison
T. Dingwall
R. Dingwall
* Grivosti
* McIver
* Munro
* Wallace

TBC
Davies
Kelly
JOB
Dow
Schalk

Gone
Routis
Curran
Mikkelsen
Chow
N'Gog
McCarey
Tumilty
Malcolm
Foden
S. Morrison
Ashmore
Kyle Johnson
Tansey
Kait
Melbourne
Souttar

Interesting season for Fraser.  Could he be captain if Davies is away, could he be playing left-back if a centre-back (say Frans) signs?

Fox

Mullin Fraser Fontaine Leftback

Gardyne Draper Lindsay Vigurs

Mckay McManus

Edited by bunglebonce

I would expect you'd more likely see Fraser at RB if Naismith goes, rather than Mullin. Can't remember where I read it but they very much view Mullin as a midfielder.

23 minutes ago, Spain said:

I would expect you'd more likely see Fraser at RB if Naismith goes, rather than Mullin. Can't remember where I read it but they very much view Mullin as a midfielder.

Yeah, maybe a wing-back at a push for Mullin.  I can't think of any other configuration that will get all of Mullin, Lindsay, Vigurs and Draper into the same XI (assuming two up top).

Edited by bunglebonce

20 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Mark Hateley's name has unsurprisingly appeared on the most hated players thread. What was the story with his time with you? I have vague memories of him being appointed manager but not seeing the week out as he was such a twat or was his brief time with you just as a player? 

He was never manager here. He played 2 games, I think both were away from home so I never actually saw him but from what I remember it basically came down to Cooper deciding he was having a negative impact on the squad, & Hately through a hissy fit saying he "bottled it". Which sort of proved Cooper's point really.

Dunno if he's really worth hating mind, he was no Gary McSwegan or David Hannah, they were all mediocre overpaid pish on long-term deals, so that's more my hate list as far as Staggies go.

8 minutes ago, forkboy said:

He was never manager here. He played 2 games, I think both were away from home so I never actually saw him but from what I remember it basically came down to Cooper deciding he was having a negative impact on the squad, & Hately through a hissy fit saying he "bottled it". Which sort of proved Cooper's point really.

Dunno if he's really worth hating mind, he was no Gary McSwegan or David Hannah, they were all mediocre overpaid pish on long-term deals, so that's more my hate list as far as Staggies go.

That's great thanks. I thought is so called 'personality' was at the root of his short spell no matter which role he had. 

He's just one of those instantly dislikable people in many people's eyes for a variety of reasons. Being a bigot promoting *** tops the list though.