The General Ross County Chat Thread

17 hours ago, forkboy said:

I will be amazed if Owen Coyle gets another managerial job again. Well OK, I won't be that shocked because we love nothing more than failed retreads, but he shouldn't get another chance anyway. I know we were desperate in January but his transfer strategy seems to have just been "throw a load of shit against the wall and not even wait to see what sticks, just sign it all"

Reeks of what Foran was doing with us last season and that worked out well enough.

Oh no wait, it didn't, we were even worse.

Ngog reminds me of Filip Kiss at the tail end of the 14/15 season: technically better than the standard of the team, but he'll find it hard to dislodge the current partnership unless there's an injury.  Nonetheless he's still got a great attitude.  When he came on against Thistle he chased and harried every bit as much as Mckay and Schalk did before him, which makes me wonder why he was so static at Rugby Park (was Coyle not getting him any more fit?).

Going by the length that Kettlewell went on about forming partnerships on Rock Sport Radio last night (1:30 in), Ngog might only get limited minutes in the last six games.  I'd have him as the first change ahead of Curran though, and I do also hope he stays on if we stay up.

Edited by bunglebonce

Has Greg Tansey played for you much? I seem to recall he had groin surgery (?) and was on the way back to full fitness but according to Wiki he has only played 2 matches.

24 minutes ago, RiG said:

Has Greg Tansey played for you much? I seem to recall he had groin surgery (?) and was on the way back to full fitness but according to Wiki he has only played 2 matches.

Tansey came on against Hearts in a midweek match as a sub and was excellent.  He picked up the same injury again at the very start of the following match against St Johnstone, where he slowed the game right down and was pretty poor before being subbed at half-time (he still managed to played one of my favourite passes of the season, a volleyed backspun 40-yarder behind the full-back for Naismith to bomb on to).  He got another minor op and the P&J says he is close to returning.

Mckay has been pretty good in the last few matches.  Schalk has been getting the goals but Mckay has been putting just as much work in, and his passing and hold-up play is as good as I remembered of his good spell at ICT.  Again, there's another vague comparison with 14/15 where Curran was the one getting on the scoresheet for a while, with Boyce working his pan in beside him before it eventually clicked for Boyce.

Edited by bunglebonce

Fixtures announced:

Sat. 21st Apr. RCFC vs Motherwell - 1500
Sat. 28th Apr. Hamilton vs RCFC - 1230 (TV)
Fri. 4th May. Partick vs RCFC - 1945 (TV)
Tues. 8th May. RCFC vs Dundee - 1945
Sat. 12th May. St J vs RCFC. - 1500

So we've got 3 away games, which is fair as we've played 17 at home and 16 away.

• Motherwell home is fair.
  • Hamilton away is fair., although noon kick-off, cant see folk racing to get on the supporters bus for that one, be leaving Dingwall before sun-rise
  • Partick away is fair, although the remaining meeting is on a Friday evening; sure there'll be a huge amount of County fans journey the length of Scotland in time for that one...on telly for those who don't make it tho. Ho hum. When we won 4-0 it was a schoolday/evening, so that maybe balances out?
  • Dundee home is fair.
  • St J away means we've played them three times away and once at home, hopefully they have nothing to play for by then and just lie down! I doubt that will happen though!

So I reckon going to Perth three times is the only real complaint from our point of view, the rest is just typical ignoring of fans and travel logistics.

Edited by dingdong1929

Just now, dingdong1929 said:

Fixtures announced:

Sat. 21st Apr. RCFC vs Motherwell - 1500
Sat. 28th Apr. Hamilton vs RCFC - 1230 (TV)
Fri. 4th May. Partick vs RCFC - 1945 (TV)
Tues. 8th May. RCFC vs Dundee - 1945
Sat. 12th May. St J vs RCFC. - 1500

So we've got 3 away games, which is fair as we've played 17 at home and 16 away.

• Motherwell home is fair.
  • Hamilton away is fair. 
  • Partick away is fair, although the remaining meeting is on a Friday evening; sure there'll be a huge amount of County fans journey the length of Scotland in time for that one...on telly for those who don't make it tho. Ho hum. When we won 4-0 it was a schoolday/evening, so that maybe balances out?
  • Dundee home is fair.
  • St J away means we've played them three times away and once at home, hopefully they have nothing to play for by then and just lie down! I doubt that will happen though!

We were always going to end up going to someone 3 times. The smart money was on us being sent to Dundee for a third time as this involved the least messing around, but they've obviously taken the view to balance the fixtures between those clubs conceivably involved in the relegation mix - which seems fair enough - for once.

3 minutes ago, donaldo said:

We were always going to end up going to someone 3 times. The smart money was on us being sent to Dundee for a third time as this involved the least messing around, but they've obviously taken the view to balance the fixtures between those clubs conceivably involved in the relegation mix - which seems fair enough - for once.

Aye, it's our only real complaint, but is probably best of a bad situation.

(Think I edited my comment while you  were replying, oops!)

Good to get the probably-toughest opposition (Motherwell) at Home and directly following recent confidence-boosting better form.

Sadly I can't make it. Happy to get Dundee at home.

12:30 start is never ideal where travel involved.

Not every willing Staggie will be able to get away early from work for a Friday night fixture in Glasgow.

St J last could be nervy if it still means avoiding 11th or 12th spot, but would imagine County will by then - even if following a poor result - have more motivation than the Saints.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm guessing they signed him after Brittain didn't end up in Perth.

Indeed. Money was funneled from the youth system and used to buy Wotherspoon after "Uncle" Roy paid us off. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There'll be a deep irony if a final game David Wotherspoon goal relegates County.. 

Any more ironic than Ricky Foster? He was our best fullback and McIntyre gave him to St J for nothing.

If you don't disregard the reasons for the Wotherspoon transfer and the positive effect it had on Richie Brittain's personal life and family, with Richie currently working at the club, it might seem less ironic.

It's been a long season with many layers of shit, if Wotherspoon adds his name to the list of players who played a role in yet another defeat for us, meh.  
Similar if VDW and Gary Wood play starring roles keeping Hamilton above us in the league, etc etc.  

Edited by dingdong1929

14 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

Any more ironic than Ricky Foster? He was our best fullback and McIntyre gave him to St J for nothing.

TBF the longer hes here the more I'm understanding why that decision was made. Hes a decent player but the amount of abuse he spouts, especially to younger team mates, is disgusting. Served him right when Swanson refused to just accept it and smashed him in the puss.