The General Ross County Chat Thread

Someone called this as soon as we appointed Coyle (and looked at those of his former players who were available for free).  Cant mind who?

I always really liked Eagles, when he was at Burnley I wondered if Man U may have made a mistake letting him go ! (they hand't...)
Really think he could offer us something.

Also think he's more Burke than JOB.
Thankfully doesn't/shouldn't have Burke's fitness problems, but also doesn't have JOB's tenacity.  Probably shares his ability to tackle though ;)

Someone called this as soon as we appointed Coyle (and looked at those of his former players who were available for free).  Cant mind who?

I always really liked Eagles, when he was at Burnley I wondered if Man U may have made a mistake letting him go ! (they hand't...)
Really think he could offer us something.
Also think he's more Burke than JOB.
Thankfully doesn't/shouldn't have Burke's fitness problems, but also doesn't have JOB's tenacity.  Probably shares his ability to tackle though [emoji6]

If he’s still got the legs, I think he’d be an excellent short term addition.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If he’s still got the legs, I think he’d be an excellent short term addition.

The Port Vale reports that BB shared bode well, but the months off since then are a bit of a concern.
Could be a good sub as he gets up to speed?  
I suppose they'll find out during training.

After today, how do we resolve the up front problem? Curran works hard, Schalk is enthusiastic, Mickelsen and McKay? Defence seems to be coming together, midfield look reasonably solid, both look enough to ensure survival but we have very little up front, no speed or height and to be fair not enough support. Or am I wrong?

Today's game was always going to be hard
No complaints from the defence, we were only beaten by a very good free kick
Midfield were strong albeit pressed back quite a bit and unable get forward very often
Up front is the issue - Curran did a power of running and kept on top of Brown when defending set pieces - but he struggles for pace so gets very little opportunities on goal
Schalk has the pace but rarely hits the target with his shots
Mikklesen is actually shorter when he jumps than he is when just standing so useless in the air
And we've not seen much of McKay to make judgement

So yes we do need to address this

We didn't see it today simply because it was Celtic we played, but of late the midfield have been supporting the forwards a lot more, Motherwell first half was brilliant.

Curran's got the work rate but doesn't always have the quality, Schalk works hard but isn't as quick as people seem to think he is- Marvin Bartley can outpace him and he can't finish when given time to think. He's a good instinct finisher, though. Mikkelsen has some nice touches but is terrible physically- in essence he's Norwegian Brian Graham,

McKay just isn't getting enough game time.

34 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Curran's got the work rate but doesn't always have the quality, Schalk works hard but isn't as quick as people seem to think he is- Marvin Bartley can outpace him and he can't finish when given time to think. He's a good instinct finisher, though. Mikkelsen has some nice touches but is terrible physically- in essence he's Norwegian Brian Graham,

McKay just isn't getting enough game time.

I'd be playing Schalk and  Curran/Mikkelsen most weeks.  McKay needs to go out on loan in January, or even with an Uncle Roy special pack "mutual agreement."

4-3-3 is Coyle’s formation of choice it seems and I’m fine with that, because Draper and O’Brien - with an increasingly dependable Routis nominally sitting but occasionally bursting forward - is the best midfield blend County have had in years, albeit on a sample of two fixtures.  

However, none of the strikers seem suited to that.  Curran is the closest thing Coyle has to Kevin Davies, but he’s missing at least a yard of pace to elevate his game against the top six sides.  Schalk has the acceleration to get away from defenders but he’s one of the worst - if not the worst -  in the league with his back to goal.  Mikkelsen has improved under Coyle but still needs to do more.  I think Mckay is the closest we’ve got to a player who can play on his own, if he gets the shorter chips that Curran got in the Motherwell and Celtic games.

I think we’re a better left-back and a striker who can occupy a couple of defenders away from having a pretty competitive first XI.  

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

How old is he now? Was a decent prospect at one point.

Could be a good signing.

Turned 32 last week. We needed another winger and hopefully this signals the end of the imposter that is Ryan Dow.

Edited by staggy4life