The General Ross County Chat Thread

What a difference a year make eh. A year ago i thought we were doomed for relegation and the possibility of years out with the top division.

Our squad just now is imo the best we have ever had and and we have a trip to hampden for a cup semi final to look forward to, things are certainly looking up.

Well done to all those involved :)

i wouldnt quite say he is Fraser but Miller has won player of the year two years running (one for coaches player of the year and another for player's player of the year) he seems to be improving by each game maybe soon we will see him on the bench atleast Edited by Clark

i wouldnt quite say he is Fraser but Miller has won player of the year two years running (one for coaches player of the year and another for player's player of the year) he seems to be improving by each game maybe soon we will see him on the bench atleast

Hiya Stephen, hiya pal.

• 3 weeks later...

You possibly already know this but apparently after playing in earlier qualifiers and warm-up games you're not releasing Jackson Irvine for the Olyroos final Olympic qualifying games in Qatar from 14-30 January. So you don't all start wailing and gnashing your teeth another 5 regulars from the squad will also be missing.

You possibly already know this but apparently after playing in earlier qualifiers and warm-up games you're not releasing Jackson Irvine for the Olyroos final Olympic qualifying games in Qatar from 14-30 January. So you don't all start wailing and gnashing your teeth another 5 regulars from the squad will also be missing.

Thank crap for that, we're already missing Boyce and Curran to injury, and our defence has been missing lately too (whey-hey! Sigh...).

One of Boyce or Curran allowing Shalk an opportunity is quite exciting in a way. Both of them missing plus Irvine would be hellish.

One of Boyce or Curran allowing Shalk an opportunity is quite exciting in a way.

You wouldn't have been at the derby, then (not intended in a patronising way - rather I was excited by him started and became disillusioned as the game wore on). There were several occasions where Schalk was in a nice wee channel between a centre-back and full-back and wanted the ball played in behind the defence. The team didn't look for him like that once. He mostly had to contend with long balls or direct passes into his body. The only ball that was whipped into space behind a full-back was after he was substituted. That was a big contrast with ICT, who were dependent on finding Storey in space.

I've watched Schalk a couple of times in the DL and I think I've seen all his first team appearances. He's quick, has a really good first touch and can shoot off both feet. But he doesn't shield the ball in the way that Boyce and Curran do, nor hound the opposition to the same extreme (that's improving all the time, probably with fitness and encouragement). The team need to adapt to his style.

Edited by bunglebonce

Nope, i didnt make it up north at all this holiday. Would like to think the team could adapt, as he seems to have something to offer from the little im aware, but its a shame if they need to adapt so much.

I was hoping the derby was more of an off day, with the wrong players around him (maybe the likes of De Vita or Dingwall could link with him better?), but it sounds like a fair bit of coaching is required all round to accommodate such a different striking partnership (Graham and Schalk, obviously...).

Edited by dingdong1929

We need to adapt our style if we're going to be playing both for a few games but it's not a wholesale restructure, it's more about looking for the right pass instead of swinging high crosses into the box. Irvine and Woods should be capable of doing that, if not I would despair of taking anything in the next few games.

Congratulations Liam Boyce, Player of the month for December

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35300784

Ross County striker Liam Boyce is the Scottish Premiership player of the month for December.

The 24-year-old Northern Ireland international scored five goals in five games last month, including a Boxing Day hat-trick against Dundee.

Currently sidelined with a broken hand, Boyce has found the net 17 times for the Staggies this season.

He moved to the Dingwall club from Cliftonville in the summer of 2014 and scored 11 goals last term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35300784

Liam Boyce: Ross County striker targets semi-final return

Ross County striker Liam Boyce hopes to return from a hand fracture in time for the League Cup semi-final with Celtic on 31 January.

The 24-year-old, who is the Premiership player of the month for December, has missed the last three matches.

"I had another x-ray today and they think it's going to be another two to four weeks," said Boyce.

"I'm aiming for the Celtic semi-final, it's a big match, but I'll just need to take each game as it comes."

Boyce has found the net 17 times for the Staggies this season, so the Northern Ireland international is frustrated to be sidelined.

"I'm obviously hoping it's two weeks [before he can return], I might be able to play with a smaller cast," he added.

"It's really annoying since I can do everything except contact. I just need to stay positive and keep in good shape."

Boyce scored five goals in five games last month, including a Boxing Day hat-trick against Dundee.

And he was quick to credit his team-mates, including regular strike partner Craig Curran, on picking up his monthly prize.

"I'm not the quickest and Craig can cover the ground," he said.

"We both hold the ball up well and we both like to get in the box and we work off each other.

"We've got players on the wings who can make things happen so we know when the ball is out there our job is to get in the box and try to get a yard."

Edited by frankthetank22

I'd be stunned if that happened, but it'd be a big improvement to our defence obviously. Sadly Scott Boyd seems like he's declined a fair amount in the past year/18 months.

No idea what sort of fee would be required to make it happen

I'd be stunned if that happened, but it'd be a big improvement to our defence obviously. Sadly Scott Boyd seems like he's declined a fair amount in the past year/18 months.

No idea what sort of fee would be required to make it happen

Don't suppose there is any chance of a part-exchange deal? I would have thought this would be a loan though.

We take Quinn on loan and back off the Don Cowie hype train.

This thread is normally very active at this time of year. Changed days.

ETA while Quinn and Davies could be excellent in some respects, they could also damage my health. My poor ticker last night when Davies was turned a couple of times.

Edited by bunglebonce

I wouldn't be back (which isn't really a threat given my 4 home games this season) if McIntyre dropped Robertson for Quinn. And if he ends up playing Quinn at right-back then I'd actively start supporting ICT.

If we ( Forfar) win the replay next week....we shall be travelling up to Inverness (then onto Dingwall) by train....can someone tell me if there is a bus back to Inverness after the game as dont want to hang about till 7.45 to catch the next train!! Cheers