The General Ross County Chat Thread

Since we appear to be clogging up other threads with our stuff I thought that it might be a semi-decent idea to have all Ross County chat in here? Not just transfers but just general discussion and the like. I see that Raith Rovers, Falkirk and QotS have similar threads in the go.

Edited by yoda

This is the situation as it stands:

Ross County

Goalkeepers

Joseph Malinauskas (22) - May 2012

Defenders

Gary Miller (24) - May 2012

Johnny Flynn (21) - May 2012

Scott Boyd (24) - May 2012

Darren McCormack (22) - July 2011

Scott Morrison (26) - May 2012

Grant Munro (30) - May 2013

Midfielders

Richie Brittain (27) - May 2012

Paul Lawson (27) - May 2012

Stuart Kettlewell (26) - May 2012

Mark Corcoran (30) - May 2012

Marc Fitzpatrick (25) - May 2013

Iain Vigurs (23) - May 2012

Forwards

Garry Wood (23) - May2012

Steven Craig (30) - May 2012

Michael Gardyne (25) - May 2012

Colin McMenamin (30) - May 2013

U19's/First team

Archie MacPhee (18) - May 2012

Steven Ross (18) - May 2012

Out of contract

Paul Di Giacomo - released, now at Greenock Morton

Steven Milne - released

Mick McGovern - don't think he is in talks over a new contract as I'm pretty sure he wants to find a club in the central belt for family reasons.

Andy Barrowman - in talks

Darren Smith - as far as I know he has been released as he's not been offered anything from the club yet

Edited by staggy4life

We have enough midfielders as it is, im seriously wondering if DA is planning 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1 Miller and Morrison are more than capable of getting up and down the lines, and there is more than enough quality midfielders to chnge the shape of the team.

Edited to add if the signing of Russel Duncan goes through

Edited by Bri RCFC

I'd like to see Fitzy getting a run in central midfield, or wide on the left with Vigurs pushed in. It's looking very much as if Kettlewell could be out on his ear again, as he was for much of last season. Lawson is vice captain, so you have to assume he'll start in central midfield most games. I guess it's a squad game these days, and competition is good.

With G. Munro signed and possibly R. Duncan too, our already strong back-bone to the team has been well re-enforced.

Assuming Barrowman and McGovern don't want to stay and the squad on the whole remains the same, I can see Adams's first choice XI as:

------------------------------

New 'keeper

Miller Boyd Munro Morrison

Brittain Duncan Lawson Vigurs

Gardyne

McMenamin

Subs:

Malin

McCormack

Kettlewell

Corcoran

Craig

---------------------------------

There won't be many goals scored against that team.

The problem is, County won't score many goals either with a set-up like that.

Putting a winger like Smith on the right wing totally transforms the predictability of that team. Brittain early 09/10 would have been first choice with his goals and assists, but I honestly think his 'un-drop-ability' is holding the team back tactically. He isn't as good as Lawson in play-making and isn't as good as Duncan or Kettlewell as the water-carrier, so if he has to play it must be on the right side.

Separately, Yoda said it elsewhere but I would be disappointed to see Flynn lose his place at CB, because he was excellent in the second half of last season. His goals from set-pieces kept County up. I wouldn't even have him as an option on the bench if he didn't start, because McCormack is more versatile.

Edited by bunglebonce

Genuinely thought the only players we'd be looking at would be forwards and wingers, maybe a RB at a push. Surprised we've strengthened arguably our two strongest areas (CB and CM). But Munro and Duncan are undeniably good players. Honestly thought Boyd, Flynn and Kettlewell were our 3 best players this season, and all 3 are now under pressure for their places.

If the moneys there and we can keep everyone happy, then good. Initerested to see what happens with regard to wide players.

McMenamin signing mean no more work down up front? We assuming Barra is gone?

Midfield and front line of: Vigurs Lawson Duncan Brittain

Gardyne

McMenamin

is really lacking in pace. All cracking players, but we'll need to be zipping the bal around like Barce to get in behind teams!

Am I right in thinking McCormack's contract was only extended through to July or something while he's still recuperating, or is that just something I've completely made up?

If Barrowman stays then I think a 4-4-2 might work:

Goalkeeper

Miller Boyd Flynn/Munro Morrison

Brittain Duncan Lawson Winger

McMenamin Barrowman

Subs: Malin, McCormack, Kettlewell, Vigurs, Gardyne

The only problem is that the midfield looks a bit too defensive, although I'm not sure if Duncan is the sort of guy that would get forward and attack. McMenamin and Barrowman would work well I think.

He'd be a pretty good signing for you lads.

I dont really care who we sign, just as long as Caley lose. I actually prefer to see Caley lose than County win ;)

What kind of player is Duncan? I know he's defensive central mid, but so is Kettlewell and he breaks forward with the ball and has decent pace. Is Duncan similar to that (in a poor mans Viera/Kayal role) or sits more deep and lets everything happen in front of him (in a poor mans Lambert/Lennon role)?

I dont really care who we sign, just as long as Caley lose. I actually prefer to see Caley lose than County win ;)

What kind of player is Duncan? I know he's defensive central mid, but so is Kettlewell and he breaks forward with the ball and has decent pace. Is Duncan similar to that (in a poor mans Viera/Kayal role) or sits more deep and lets everything happen in front of him (in a poor mans Lambert/Lennon role)?

The latter. Breaks up opponents attack and gives the ball to the guys who makes things happen. Probably score a 35 yarder once every 18 months or so aswell for you.

You are totally wrong. I hate him more than I like Ross County.

You're probably the only County fan I know who doesn't take greater pleasure in seeing ICT lose than County win. I've actually had 2 Ross County fans admit to me in person that this is the case with them.

You're probably the only County fan I know who doesn't take greater pleasure in seeing ICT lose than County win. I've actually had 2 Ross County fans admit to me in person that this is the case with them.

You've broken me. I actually have a wee chuckle to myself every time i see that now.

You're still a p***k though :ph34r: