The Creepy & The Strange

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There was always rumours of a big cat outside Elgin in Pluscarden Woods.  My mate Gavin and I went camping out there one night with a bag of cans, a primus and 6 eggs but saw f**k all.

Case closed.

Sounds quite romantic. 

49 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There was always rumours of a big cat outside Elgin in Pluscarden Woods.  My mate Gavin and I went camping out there one night with a bag of cans, a primus and 6 eggs but saw f**k all.

Case closed.

Wrong type of bait. They don't like cooked eggs and beer.

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A terrifying creature. I just hope I've prepared people sufficiently for when the time comes to face the beast.

@Chicken Wing

A couple of friends and I went up Saline hill, aged about 14, in search of adventure. There was that big concrete shelter on the far side of the hill that always felt creepy and was full of sheep bones. Several hours later I came to in the bath, covered head to toe in blood. 

I'd not met the Puma though. We'd nabbed a few bottles of whisky, got smashed and I landed head first on a rock whilst running about the summit and went a bit ga-ga. My folks were not that impressed but I was at least home in time for my tea and got home safely. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

A couple of friends and I went up Saline hill, aged about 14, in search of adventure. There was that big concrete shelter on the far side of the hill that always felt creepy and was full of sheep bones. Several hours later I came to in the bath, covered head to toe in blood.

I think I've mentioned this before, but you need to get into the writing game. You've got a gift for drama and intrigue.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I'd not met the Puma though. We'd nabbed a few bottles of whisky, got smashed and I landed head first on a rock whilst running about the summit and went a bit ga-ga. My folks were not that impressed but I was at least home in time for my tea and got home safely. 

I'm glad it never had long lasting effects for you, things like affecting your dress sense etc. 

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Similar to that, I've always been fascinated by the big cat sightings in the UK, especially as they are usually concentrated in the same areas http://scotcats.online.fr/abc/sightings/bycounty/dumfries.html

Almost certainly it's folk pished/spooked/making it up but there's some interesting theories if they are real, such as there being released by private owners who couldn't make themselves give them up when the Zoo act and others in the late 70s/early 80s made it impossible to legally own dangerous animals, and that's why the sightings have slowly dwindled away as there's no breeding population. Probably a lot of shite though 

There are the dreaded Beasts of Carnoustie of course

Spoiler

1139253561_ronnieandreg.thumb.jpg.d03e19045529fbfce9fd049842f5286b.jpg.37477f68ce081da28015fd547973ade2.jpg

I do remember people in North London phoning the zoo about sightings of an escaped lion. It turned out to be a big fat Ginger Tom who was described by his owner as "soft as shite". 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'm glad it never had long lasting effects for you, things like affecting your dress sense etc. 

Lockdown has changed me. For work I dress like a PE teacher and the rest of the time like someone who never made it back from The Stone Roses at Spike Island.

Went to put on a pair of trousers yesterday, couldn't find any belts so gave up. 

Edited by Shandon Par

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Similar to that, I've always been fascinated by the big cat sightings in the UK, especially as they are usually concentrated in the same areas http://scotcats.online.fr/abc/sightings/bycounty/dumfries.html

Almost certainly it's folk pished/spooked/making it up but there's some interesting theories if they are real, such as there being released by private owners who couldn't make themselves give them up when the Zoo act and others in the late 70s/early 80s made it impossible to legally own dangerous animals, and that's why the sightings have slowly dwindled away as there's no breeding population. Probably a lot of shite though 

I was camping in North Wales and spotted a feral cat climbing up along a cliff near Foel Lus and it was massive. Like... for a cat. At first glance I genuinely thought I was seeing a Lynx or some other kind of big cat. Looking back on it now, going by the first glance alone, I would have conservatively guessed it was about 5 foot long. It clearly wasn't but when you see something you aren't expecting out of the blue you can fall into the temptation of misjudging these things. With the difficulties in estimating size over distance and, especially, over uneven land I've no difficulty in believing anyone seeing a large feral cat or Scots wildcat (or Wildcat/domestic hybrid) would be able to convince themselves they'd discovered some unknown or escaped big cat.

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Theres a Puma, Felicity, that was caught outside Inverness in the 80s I think.

Its stuffed, on display in Inverness Museum. 

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Supposed to be a Beast of Balbirnie as well. I got married at Balbirnie about the time this was in the papers and felt it was a bit harsh on the missus because they never even interviewed her.

Maybe Turboshandy got married there before you?

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Supposed to be a Beast of Balbirnie as well. I got married at Balbirnie about the time this was in the papers and felt it was a bit harsh on the missus because they never even interviewed her.

I've been to a couple of weddings there. Maybe I am your wife? Now get off that fucking computer, feed the kid, get rid of those squirrels you gimp and get me my ciggies.