The Creepy & The Strange

On 24/04/2019 at 23:00, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was reading recently about how there was a species of human that lived 10,000 years ago in south east Asia called Homo Floresiensis which was pretty much the same as modern humans only they were only 3 feet tall.

And these humans were preyed upon by something called Leptoptilos Robustus which was basically a giant 6 foot tall Marabou Stork.

I don't really like the idea of being preyed upon by anything but being eaten by a giant stork seems especially horrible.  It's a creepy animal.

FileMarabu-Portrait-e1292001802728.jpg

Saw one at a zoo once, it was trying to peck through the steel fence to get to us.  Horrible animals.

Not sure if this is really the place for this, but it certainly is somewhat disturbing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4264282.stm

Basically, a guy with a history of mental illness decided to commit suicide by padlocking himself to a tree in a forest in the middle of nowhere. It's probable he changed his mind at some point but couldn't reach the key or get out the handcuffs. :(

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Wasn't that one proven to just be light from a lighthouse?
Not proven but they reckoned it was possible. Still I found it interesting due to the people reporting it. They were trained observers and also the nature of the base with nuclear missiles meant it could have been considered an attack.

I think the rendlesham one is not really anything other than a delusion.  If you listen to the audio tape you can sense a bit of reinforcement.  They knew strange lights had appeared the night before, here they were again.  Every snapped branch in the woods or strange mark fed into their beliefs that this was something strange.

I like the Robert Taylor incident in Dechmont, West Lothian.  Boy claims that aliens tried to kidnap him and wrecked his clothes.  I reckon he was pished and stumbled into a barb wire fence and knew his mrs would kill him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Drove home earlier, parked up outside and when I got out of the car there was a Sony phone (with cracked screen) sitting on the roof. Had it car-surfed all that way? 

Strange in that you found the car and managed to grt in it?

Guest Moomintroll
Check out the rock at the back left.
He seems to be a benign lump, as opposed to those poundland love island belmy efforts who peddle bigotry. I am disgusted that they are allowed to leave the Country.

On 24/04/2019 at 23:00, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was reading recently about how there was a species of human that lived 10,000 years ago in south east Asia called Homo Floresiensis which was pretty much the same as modern humans only they were only 3 feet tall.

And these humans were preyed upon by something called Leptoptilos Robustus which was basically a giant 6 foot tall Marabou Stork.

I don't really like the idea of being preyed upon by anything but being eaten by a giant stork seems especially horrible.  It's a creepy animal.

FileMarabu-Portrait-e1292001802728.jpg

This species of human and stork was endemic to Flores, an Indonesian island. The stork would have been twice the height of the homo floresiensis.

A nicer sounding thing endemic to the island was a dwarf stegodon which was basically an elephant that stood at no more than a metre and a half. All the remains of these species were found in one cave in the north of the island.

Bizarre cave.

Flores is also has an endemic rat species which can be around 2 metres long including tail and 8 times the weight of a common black rat, this species currently exist and give me the fear. The Catman of Greenock would love Flores.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

19 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Flores is also has an endemic rat species which can be around 2 metres long including tail and 8 times the weight of a common black rat, this species currently exist and give me the fear.

Don't know if it's still there but Flores had a museum, which I visited in the early '90s. It had a stuffed rat, which was about the size of my first car and was apparently, legit.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Don't know if it's still there but Flores had a museum, which I visited in the early '90s. It had a stuffed rat, which was about the size of my first car and was apparently, legit.

Aye, quite likely legit. There's a evolutionary phenomena called Island Gigantism and Island Dwarfism. Happens when species are endemic to an island, often the large species get smaller and smaller species get larger. It's dependent on their natural predators in the area they are in.

Creepy phenomena when you start getting 4ft long rats and a  5ft tall swan.