The Creepy & The Strange

All this week, we've left for work at various different times (7:00 - 07:15) and have passed alongside the Aberdeen - Inverness train at the EXACT same place at Pitcaple every day so far, including today.

Demons alley in new jersey.

whole suburb just abandoned, everyone all left at the same time, leaving everything behinf in the 50's.

apparently there was satanic worshipping etc. going on at the place but nothing was really mentioned.

There's a wee entry on Wikipedia about that which gives details of the urban legend. Seems the development was built in the '80s rather than the '50s though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_City_Village

The initial paragraph which supposes there may have been radioactive contamination seems ever so slightly more likely than satanic cannibalism, but both make for a good yarn.

I've got a good friend whos brother used to stay in a flat/house in Pollok for a few years and every morning he'd wake up and food would be missing or wrappers lying in his kitchen from food he'd sworn he hadn't ate yet. Turns out he had some junkie living in his attic for months and used to come down when he was sleeping and eat food out of his fridge. He woke up to the sound of shuffling in his kitchen one night and there the guy was in front of his fridge.

f**k that.

Ooft, f**k that indeed! I would shite myself if I walked into my kitchen and someone was standing at my fridge.

This reminds me of when I was wee, we had a pot plant in the hall and every morning there would be soil lying on the table which had, we assumed come from the pot plant. Not a lot, just a small amount. Anyway, my mother would just clean it up and carry on. Anyway, over a few weeks the amount of soil spilled got larger and larger. I became curious and started getting up through the night to see what the f**k was going on. Turns out it wasnt a junkie, but a big fucking grub thingy that came out of the soil during the night for a nosey about then pissed off back underground during the day.

Nut. Nut. No having that. Plant would've been incinerated if I seen that.

My dad put the plant in the back of the car and drove it far, far away.

To this day, I have no idea where he went. He still wont tell me.

If that bloody grub ends up hatching out & creating some colony of giant scuttly psycho things that invade Scotland's cities and towns, eating babies and investing £100 million into Newco Rangers, your old man's for it!

By far the creepiest thing on this thread is the little woman living in the cupboard. Freaky as hell. I think I'd have to move house. Closely following that though is the bug in the plant. I'd have to burn the house down, then move. That shit ain't right.

sleep paralysis- now that is scary

happened to me the other night, woke up with an enormous sense of dread and forebearing,couldnt move, tried to shout but i couldn't talk,

faded away after what seems like an eternity really shit me up.

I had it a few months back as well and could've sworn there was a long haired girl standing at the bottom of my bed :eek:

By far the creepiest thing on this thread is the little woman living in the cupboard. Freaky as hell. I think I'd have to move house. Closely following that though is the bug in the plant. I'd have to burn the house down, then move. That shit ain't right.

Aye that is unbelievably freaky, makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking about the moment the guys looking at the screen and sees the cupboard opening and a woman crawling out.

I'd say this one from myself is pretty creepy too! Its like they're all watching you.

happened to me the other night, woke up with an enormous sense of dread and forebearing,couldnt move, tried to shout but i couldn't talk,

I had it a few months back as well and could've sworn there was a long haired girl standing at the bottom of my bed :eek:

Commonly referred to as "the old hag" or "the sleep hag". It's apparently a common, albeit terrifying, symptom of sleep paralysis.

Commonly referred to as "the old hag" or "the sleep hag". It's apparently a common, albeit terrifying, symptom of sleep paralysis.

thats a new one ,I knew it was often called the "Succubus" and that it is what "nightmare" originally meant

(she didnt look like what one would imagine a "hag" to be

thats a new one ,I knew it was often called the "Succubus" and that it is what "nightmare" originally meant

(she didnt look like what one would imagine a "hag" to be

Further reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hag#Hag_in_folklore

Interestingly, the Wiki entry for "nightmare" disputes the idea that it comes from "mare" as in female horse or hag and instead attributes it to the olde English word "mare" meaning demon who brings bad dreams.

Paveglia (sp) off Venice, a small island in which during the plague, was where both dead & alive sufferers from Venice were taken too and buried or burnt.

Fast forward to the 20th century/late 18th & they build a mental asylum on the place, now the head doctor was found dead, after jumping from the bell tower, apparently being tormented by spirits of the dead patients & the plague victims.

The island has been locked off by the Venice council & fishermen won't fish nearby because of the large amount of bodies they have pulled out of the sea.

Can't get the link just now however

happened to me the other night, woke up with an enormous sense of dread and forebearing,couldnt move, tried to shout but i couldn't talk,

I had it a few months back as well and could've sworn there was a long haired  girl standing at the bottom of my bed  :eek:

I've had that only once. Really not nice. Just lie there like a dead weight and there is f**k all you can do about it.:(

Sent from my X720D using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Paveglia (sp) off Venice, a small island in which during the plague, was where both dead & alive sufferers from Venice were taken too and buried or burnt.

Fast forward to the 20th century/late 18th & they build a mental asylum on the place, now the head doctor was found dead, after jumping from the bell tower, apparently being tormented by spirits of the dead patients & the plague victims.

The island has been locked off by the Venice council & fishermen won't fish nearby because of the large amount of bodies they have pulled out of the sea.

Can't get the link just now however

Here's a non-bullshitty version of the story of the place from someone that's been there.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24658/strange-geographies-happy-haunted-island-poveglia

Lots of photos. You can see it's really more like an urban exploration. The main problem is that going there is actually prohibited, the real reason no one goes there.

Now Snake Island off the coast of Brazil, however, that's Far Cry 4 in the making!

Thought this should be bumped after reading this:

Sylvia Likens

One of the most heinous crimes ever committed, but the creepy part is that a few of the people involved eventually went on to work in schools. I've never seen a case like this, where pretty much everyone involved was released just a few years later, mostly for good behaviour!

Thanks for bumping this epic thread, I love this stuff, but now my phone browser is full of wiki-links to read :D

Although not particularly strange or supernatural, but creepy to many and much closer to home, the Glenfarg tunnels scare the shit out of some folk I know, basically those scared of the dark.

Clicky

They're basically a couple of mainly pitch black 500m long abandoned train tunnels with all sorts of old cars and stuff inside. Would scare the shit of of kids if you took them and made up a story about a fictional ghost train that runs through them after the train driver had his head cut off when he stuck his head out the window (that's what my dad told me anyway!!). Worth a visit anyway as they're just off the big bendy downhill bit of the M90 before you get to Bridge of Earn (next to Glenfarg funnily enough).

Cheers for that.

Will be taking my son & our bikes for a wee trip there very soon, it's only 10-15 mins from my house.