Squad lists/confirmed signings

I definitely think differently, yes. Of those in the squad who can / have played centre back (I count five, not six), I'd only really consider Graham, McNiff and Lithgow to be in with a shout of starting there. Nicoll is needed more in midfield and Lyden is inexperienced. Lyden is more likely to be playing reserve football / second choice first team right back. Forsyth is a left back / centre mid and Creaney is a left back who can play on the wing if need be. Hence, if we could sign another centre half, particularly one who can play at right full back also, then I'd be more comfortable with the defensive options available to us. Wallace is, of course, still to sign and has played at centre back and right back in the past, but I don't think he's a realistic option in defence at this level, though I'd still be more than happy for him to re-sign and be an option for centre mid and right mid.

Ross Forsyth is not a centre mid, hes a left back and a very average one at that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morton Squad 2012/2013

GK Alan Combe

GK Derek Gaston - signed from Albion Rovers

DF Willie Dyer - signed from Raith Rovers

DF Jordan Halsman - signed from Motherwell

DF Mark McLaughlin - signed from Hamilton Academical

DF Jason Naismith - loaned from St. Mirren

DF Thomas O'Ware

MF Alan Frizzell

MF David O'Brien

MF Stephen Stirling - signed from Stranraer

MF Michael Tidser

MF David Graham - signed from Dunfermline

FW Archie Campbell

FW Lewis Hawke

FW Peter Weatherson

FW Peter MacDonald

Contracts on table

Fouad Bachirou

Confirmed releases

Paul di Giacomo, Stuart McCaffrey, Colin Stewart, Marc Smyth, Darren McGeouch, Matthew McGinley, Iain Flannigan, Joel Kasubandi, Conor Ramsay, Derek Young

Signed elsewhere

Andy Graham, Ross Forsyth - signed for Dumbarton

Grant Evans - signed for Airdrie United

Andy Jackson - signed for Brechin City

*Updated with the signing of David Graham from Dunfermline.

A right back, another centre half, a good cm to play alongside Tids, and another forward and the squad will be looking good!

I was under the impression he'd played there at times for Stirling Albion.

When Ross Forsyth came to us he was billed as being able to play left back or on the left side of midfield. He only ever played left back for us though and was not great. His positional sense as a defender is poor and he is not a great tackler. He does look OK going forward with the ball though so maybe left mid is a better bet for him although he lacks the pace to be a winger.

Based on what I have seen of both players, we now have a better left back in Willie Dyer. Maybe more reliable is a better description.

A right back, another centre half, a good cm to play alongside Tids, and another forward and the squad will be looking good!

What's your expectations for the season ahead then?

It's a hard one to call really.

We've lost a lot of the squad from last season, some would say for good reasons as they badly underperformed, but having such an overhaul will of course mean that a period of settling in will be required. Get off too a poor start and Moore will find his job under pressure I would think.

I believe that, on the whole, what Moore has done so far this pre-season has been good. The goalkeeping position was a problem last season, but in Combe we have a very good keeper, and hopefully Gaston is willing to play second fiddle and learn from him this season with a view to taking over long-term

He's signed a couple of young players maybe with something to prove in Stirling and Halsman, added to some experience in McLaughlin, Dyer and Graham. We still need to strengthen in defence for sure, as McLaughlin will need someone with some pace to play beside him, and right back is still a priority also. A hard man in the middle of the park would be good, as we've never replaced Jenkins in that box-to-box mould.

All in all, I'm feeling fairly good about the season ahead, although the trend seems to be that we'll get dragged into the mire at the bottom regardless of how things go for us. I think we'll buck the trend finally and look to finish 4th or so. Anything less and Moore's time at the club will probably be over.

Anywhere above relegation really mate, Moore made a right good few mistakes last year and hopefully he learns from them for the up and coming season and we have a stable mid table finish.

I really think sixth place is ours for the taking this year.

From what I saw on BBC Alba, Dumbarton F.C. have a terrific player in Scott Agnew and I would dearly cherish him signing for Greenock Morton F.C.

This could well be a classic season of S.F.L. First Division football.

1340367732[/url]' post='6362194']

I really think sixth place is ours for the taking this year.

From what I saw on BBC Alba, Dumbarton F.C. have a terrific player in Scott Agnew and I would dearly cherish him signing for Greenock Morton F.C.

This could well be a classic season of S.F.L. First Division football.

You constantly inhaling happy pills?

Jamie Stevenson (born March 25, 1975)is a British orienteering champion. He appeared on the TV sports quiz They Think It's All Over in 2003 after winning the gold medal in the sprint distance at the World Orienteering Championships

Sorry "Cowden til i die" I really do hope that aint your real name as some of your family must get worried when you use names like that, but this is my 1st post on bovril and pies and I cant help get the feeling that someone, maybe even a chum or an ex girlfriend of one of your friends may be pulling your plonk, does this Jamie you speak of really exist and if he does are you sure he's into the football

Goalkeepers

Darren Jamieson (20) - May 2012

Andy McNeil (24) - May 2013

Defenders

Craig Barr (24) - May 2013

Callum Fordyce (19) - May 2013

Kevin McCann (24) - May 2013

Jason Talbot (26) - May 2013

Paul Watson (21) - May 2013

Midfielders

Anthony Andreu (23) - May 2013

Bobby Barr (23) - May 2013

Dean Cummings (18) - May 2013

Ross Docherty (18) - May 2013

Liam Fox (27) - May 2013

Ross Gray (19) - May 2013

Keaghan Jacobs (22) - May 2014

Kyle Jacobs (20) - May 2013

Jordan Morton (19) - May 2013

Stefan Scougall (19) - May 2014

Strikers

David Loungo (23) - May 2013

Marc McNulty (19) - May 2013

Andy Russell (18) - May 2013

Iain Russell (29) - May 2013

Ages as of 1st January 2012

Confirmed Ins

Anthony Andreu - FC Stade Nyonnais

Ross Docherty - Under 19s

David Luongo - FC Stade Nyonnais

Jordan Morton - Hearts

Andrew Russell - Under 19s

Confirmed Outs

Rory Boulding - Kilmarnock

Jonathan Brown - Brechin City

Kenny Deuchar - Retirement

David Sinclair - Ayr United

Boulding leaves, Andreu and Luongo sign 1 year deals.

Archived