Mafia Watering Hole

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello everyone, it’s that time of the year again, so I will once more try my luck to see if I can wrangle you guys into sending a representative :)

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet. We’ve also moved the venue to Mafia Universe, a new site created largely because of this series.

Are you interested?

As always, how you decide your representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

Remember that your representative needs to be prepared to deal with a lot of activity. Expect at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage making 10+ posts per day phase.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.

• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.

• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.

• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

More on the setup here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/1374-Setup-Discussion-Matrix12-%28Proposed-Season-3-Format%29

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

It's a massive drain on your time. The time zones don't match up so I found myself logging m on with 10+ pages to catch up on every time. For that reason, I'm out.

Other than that, an enjoyable experience.

It's a massive drain on your time. The time zones don't match up so I found myself logging m on with 10+ pages to catch up on every time. For that reason, I'm out.

Other than that, an enjoyable experience.

I'm thinking of doing it. How did you do last time GS? Did you find much quality difference?

I'm thinking of doing it. How did you do last time GS? Did you find much quality difference?

There is a lot of activity which is always good. Quality is definitely better but for me that just clouded things up more as you can't get a good read on anyone either way. It's a bit different though with day and night cycles and some roles I've never heard of before (something called a bus driver which I still don't understand).

I was papped out after day 4 or something because I was apparently a nailed on "town read". Like I said, it was enjoyable but I just don't have the time to put into it again. I'd say go for it.

Would anyone be interested in hosting a mafia game before the next apprentice? I don't feel I would have the time to commit to hosting one or the experience but i'd probably have enough time to play one.

So is it just one person per forum? I wouldn't mind a game but I wouldn't put myself forward to be the sole representative as I haven't actually played much

You sure? Don't worry about skill level. Activity level is most important anyway, if you can keep up with the game, you're good.

Edit: And right, one person per forum.

You sure? Don't worry about skill level. Activity level is most important anyway, if you can keep up with the game, you're good.

Edit: And right, one person per forum.

If no one else wants to do it then aye go for it. But I don't want to drag the good name of P&B down.

Hosts are always an issue these days it seems.. keep thinking I might try it but not sure I want the hassle :)

If you have the time go for it, if not just for my own selfishness as I fancy a game ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived