The Queen of the South Thread

22 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Manager not back until Monday 24th.

No idea why the manager is still on furlough surely this week he should have building a squad ready to start training next week .

Are Queens set up for testing the players expensive think over £100 every test but has to be done this is when the James Anderson money will be used 

It is very rare for any Queens player to get a move of this scale to England and for us to get a deserved slice of the financial action is a huge boost. Needless to say I wish him well and like all Queens fans we will be watching his progress with interest.

Personally and I said this repeatedly in his last season with us, Naysmith completely mis-used what could and should have been an invaluable resource. It was blatantly obvious that he was an out and out No 9 to be deployed on the shoulder of last defender with Dobbie up alongside him in a front two. If that meant bolstering the central midfield to accommodate a front two then so be it. That pairing was our “competitive advantage”. It was our USP and had we really exploited it to the full we could and should have been in top 4. To continually withdraw Dykes into a quasi midfield role was a schoolboy error and our dreadful finishing position was underperformance of the highest order. Whatever tactical reshuffle was necessary to make the front two happen should have been delivered. Yes we might have conceded a few more goals but we could have outscored teams with the potency of that pairing.

It didn’t take Gary Holt long to realise that Dykes’ athleticism and physicality was ideally suited to the number 9 role (to be fair it is hardly a difficult observation) and by deploying him properly it enabled him to properly “catch the eye” and secure the dream move.

22 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

No idea why the manager is still on furlough surely this week he should have building a squad ready to start training next week .

Are Queens set up for testing the players expensive think over £100 every test but has to be done this is when the James Anderson money will be used 

Wouldn't think players new contracts or training will be starting till September.

He maybe had it in him but didn't always show it for us as he has done for Livi.*

In terms of comparison with Sean O' Connor, then in their time with us O'Connor wins hands down.
Much more commanding in the air, braver, never say die attitude and much underrated in terms of touch and ability.
Not just his goals but his movement in taking defenders away to create space for others. **

I agree with the person who said  SeanO'Connor = legend.
I cannot come up with similar instances for Dykes but wish him all the best and thanks for generating such a windfall for the Club at this difficult time.***

I'm not shocked to see you belittling Dykes given your main contributions to this thread have been slating Naysmith for not playing Lyle. Naysmith saw a Dykes/Dobbie combination as the best we had to offer; something you wholeheartedly disagreed with. It was obviously the right call by Naysmith and yet you're still slating him

* He showed every for us that he did at Livi with the exception of scoring. Dykes was pretty woeful in front of goal for us but found his shooting boots at Livi. All his other attributes were well and truly on show for us.

** O'Connor doesn't win hands down. Both linked up superbly with Dobbie. D + O were in an excellent side (probably the best side we've ever had) and did incredibly well getting us into Europe, with O'Connor obviously getting our first ever European goal. D + D were in a god awful side yet they linked up to give us our best ever goal return between our forwards in modern times. Dykes's touch and technical ability was far better than O'Connor's. And he did just as well as O'Connor in taking defenders away to give Dobbie space. Personally I don't know who I'd put as Dobbie's best partner but neither of them "wins hands down"

*** If you can't see what he brought to our side then of course you won't be able to think of instances. You spent the majority of his time with us fizzing that he was keeping Lyle out the side so it's understandable. As for the legend status, why can't he be regarded as one for this club? As previously mentioned he was part of incredible partnership and is likely going to be the club's record transfer fee. We aren't exactly blessed with such players on a regular basis so if someone regards Dykes as a club legend then I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous view to have.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not shocked to see you belittling Dykes given your main contributions to this thread have been slating Naysmith for not playing Lyle. Naysmith saw a Dykes/Dobbie combination as the best we had to offer; something you wholeheartedly disagreed with. It was obviously the right call by Naysmith and yet you're still slating him emoji38.png

* He showed every for us that he did at Livi with the exception of scoring. Dykes was pretty woeful in front of goal for us but found his shooting boots at Livi. All his other attributes were well and truly on show for us.

** O'Connor doesn't win hands down. Both linked up superbly with Dobbie. D + O were in an excellent side (probably the best side we've ever had) and did incredibly well getting us into Europe, with O'Connor obviously getting our first ever European goal. D + D were in a god awful side yet they linked up to give us our best ever goal return between our forwards in modern times. Dykes's touch and technical ability was far better than O'Connor's. And he did just as well as O'Connor in taking defenders away to give Dobbie space. Personally I don't know who I'd put as Dobbie's best partner but neither of them "wins hands down"

*** If you can't see what he brought to our side then of course you won't be able to think of instances. You spent the majority of his time with us fizzing that he was keeping Lyle out the side so it's understandable. As for the legend status, why can't he be regarded as one for this club? As previously mentioned he was part of incredible partnership and is likely going to be the club's record transfer fee. We aren't exactly blessed with such players on a regular basis so if someone regards Dykes as a club legend then I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous view to have.

Way off the mark.  Naysmith DIDN'T play Dykes and Dobbie as a partnership, that's the big error.    RJC is spot on, read his comments.  Naysmith has admitted as much in the press today.  You missed the point completely.

At the age of 23 Dykes had already played at a higher level than O’Connor ever did. Now at 24 he’ll be playing his trade in the second tier of English football which is a very good standard. Add an imminent international call up into the mix as well. 

I liked big Sean O’Connor but Lyndon certainly has more about him hence why he is where he is. 

46 minutes ago, Douglas1972 said:

i cant believe skyline drifter sees dykes better than big o'connor ,dykes could'nt lace o'connors boots mun .

Mods, please

Gary naysmith would not know a footballer if he walked in to one .
Poor manager horrible human being .
As for the Sean - Lyndon debate
Sean a good honest player and a gem of a guy
Lyndon potentially could be anything and I think he will be a major figure for Scotland in years to come .
I just Hope queens have a cut of his next move as well

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do players magically shrink during the Summer then grow the moment the season starts?

They certainly aren't very aggressive in pre season. 

Championship clubs invest and spend far more into player nutrition and fitness, it's then in turn not a shock that players playing at these clubs with vastly more resources are then in turn stronger. 

Still though yeah, you played an awful Sunderland side in a pre season game however many years ago and that's definitely the most relevant way to judge the physicality of a whole league. 

Way off the mark.  Naysmith DIDN'T play Dykes and Dobbie as a partnership, that's the big error.    RJC is spot on, read his comments.  Naysmith has admitted as much in the press today.  You missed the point completely.
Whether you want to be pedantic or not, Dykes and Dobbie combined to get all those goals. Had Lyle been "partnered" with Dobbie, we'd never have got as big a return.

Gary naysmith would not know a footballer if he walked in to one .
Poor manager horrible human being .
As for the Sean - Lyndon debate
Sean a good honest player and a gem of a guy
Lyndon potentially could be anything and I think he will be a major figure for Scotland in years to come .
I just Hope queens have a cut of his next move as well
Bit harsh 
I'd say it's extremely harsh. Naysmith always came across as a really nice guy and the fact the players were gutted he was let go speaks volumes. I can only assume lowland star knows him personally to come out with such a comment.

I think we're now seeing some revisionism of Dykes' contribution at Queens, to rival that delivered in the opposite direction regarding Harkins.

He's obviously done great since leaving us, but he really, really wasn't all that when he was at Queens.  He's being seen as a much greater loss now, than he ever was at the time he left us.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think we're now seeing some revisionism of Dykes' contribution at Queens, to rival that delivered in the opposite direction regarding Harkins.

He's obviously done great since leaving us, but he really, really wasn't all that when he was at Queens.  He's being seen as a much greater loss now, than he ever was at the time he left us.

Not from me you're not. I thought he was a massive loss at the time and said so. If there's revisionism now, and there is, it's from people who couldn't see his worth at the time and have come to realise they were wrong.

1 hour ago, ALOREBURNE said:

At the age of 23 Dykes had already played at a higher level than O’Connor ever did. Now at 24 he’ll be playing his trade in the second tier of English football which is a very good standard. Add an imminent international call up into the mix as well. 

I liked big Sean O’Connor but Lyndon certainly has more about him hence why he is where he is. 

Did Sean not play for Dundee Utd him and Dobbie got more goals as a partnership than Dykes Dobbie 

Sure we had a better team but everyone did back then. And a scotland or oz caps a bit easier to get than an England 1

They're both excellent pros who follow the managers instructions no one can ask more 

But sheepheid is a legend