qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

Noticed Queens reserves contracts have all ended on the official site, Is it a case of Wullie Gibson having to start from scratch next season or is it more likely there won't be a reserve league next season. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Noticed Queens reserves contracts have all ended on the official site, Is it a case of Wullie Gibson having to start from scratch next season or is it more likely there won't be a reserve league next season. 

Really can’t see a reserve team next season. Any budget set aside for that must surely go into the first team pot.

On 24/06/2020 at 19:00, DoonhamePod said:

In preparation for Podcast 4, the first one with a member from the 12/13 double winning side, can you name every player to make an appearance for Queens in that memorable season? No one has managed 24/24 just yet...emoji102.png

https://www.sporcle.com/games/finlayjack8/queen-of-the-south-201213

Happy enough with 21. Totally forgot Johnston, Black and Hopkirk. 

Surely AJ has to be talking to players now even if its a case of signing them. On a pre contract type deal not starting till end mid/end Aug. 

15 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Someone make up a rumour of us signing a player please

Callum Antell, Tom Brighton and Stephen (Premier League) Simmons

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Surely AJ has to be talking to players now even if its a case of signing them. On a pre contract type deal not starting till end mid/end Aug. 

He'll be pretty limited to what he can do if he's still furloughed,  doesn't mean he can't put out some feelers for when business can get started again I suppose. I don't think there will be a shortage if players to chose from but we'll again be at the bottom end of the f/t budget scale so I'm not holding my breath expecting marquee signings. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He'll be pretty limited to what he can do if he's still furloughed,  doesn't mean he can't put out some feelers for when business can get started again I suppose. I don't think there will be a shortage if players to chose from but we'll again be at the bottom end of the f/t budget scale so I'm not holding my breath expecting marquee signings. 

Get him off furlough.. 

5 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Get him off furlough.. 

He might very well already be,  I've no idea but tbh I'm not clamouring for news of him making signings cos I've a notion there will be very few surprises at the level of player we can attract. 

Ex Queens player Ian McShane has apparently signed for Darvel Juniors!
They have been throwing a bit of money about over the last couple of years. Brownings the bakers are the backers I believe

Didn’t realise he was only 27 years old. Maybe he’s not the player he was last time around at Queen’s but he would definitely be an upgrade on what midfield players we had last season. Don’t know wether AJ would have been interested or not?

20 minutes ago, Sankasouthy said:

They have been throwing a bit of money about over the last couple of years. Brownings the bakers are the backers I believe emoji848.png

Didn’t realise he was only 27 years old. Maybe he’s not the player he was last time around at Queen’s but he would definitely be an upgrade on what midfield players we had last season. Don’t know wether AJ would have been interested or not? emoji848.png

Mcshane has gone part time

30 minutes ago, Sankasouthy said:

They have been throwing a bit of money about over the last couple of years. Brownings the bakers are the backers I believe emoji848.png

Didn’t realise he was only 27 years old. Maybe he’s not the player he was last time around at Queen’s but he would definitely be an upgrade on what midfield players we had last season. Don’t know wether AJ would have been interested or not? emoji848.png

Yep,  looks like McShane has gone where's there's plenty of dough. 

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Callum Antell, Tom Brighton and Stephen (Premier League) Simmons

Looking to upgrade on January’s team, then.

If the figures are true then he'll be making as much at Darvel pt as he would with us ft.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

If the figures are true then he'll be making as much at Darvel pt as he would with us ft.

I probably 

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes,  there are a few biggish spending non League/PT sides about now apparently paying good wages which we will  have to compete against to attract players. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes,  there are a few biggish spending non League/PT sides about now apparently paying good wages which we will  have to compete against to attract players. 

How do these clubs attract so much financal clout? Yet a well run established club like Queens struggle to get people to part with cash. 

15 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

How do these clubs attract so much financal clout? Yet a well run established club like Queens struggle to get people to part with cash. 

Generally, they're owned by someone with a lot of money

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Generally, they're owned by someone with a lot of money

It rarely works out well in the medium to longer term. Most obviously Brooks Mileson at Gretna but it happens at all levels. See Calum Melville at Dundee. Angelo Massone at Livingston. Dominic Keane at Livingston. Even at local level Tarff Rovers went under after a brief flirtation with throwing daft money at the likes of Chic Charnley. Even David Murray eventually spent Rangers into insolvency via Craig Whyte's convenient patsy role.

As the old joke goes, the only way to come out of running a football club with a million is to start off with ten times that.

Edited by Skyline Drifter