qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 09/04/2020 at 11:57, Flash said:
Agree. And I’m not sure I would be in a desperate rush to re-sign any players who took part in the 10 games this year that produced no wins and 3 points.  And if we escape relegation due to the season being curtailed, that doesn’t mean Johnston should keep his job. So he shouldn’t be signing anybody for next season either now or at any future point.

Agreed. Though I reckon Coronavirus has all but secured Johnston's job for next season. I doubt we'll be in any sort of position to pay out the remainder of his contract.

AJ will be in charge at start of next season, He will have to fight to keep his job ftom the start as a certain Mr Dobbie will be about ready to step up as manager... 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ will be in charge at start of next season, He will have to fight to keep his job ftom the start as a certain Mr Dobbie will be about ready to step up as manager... 

Will Dobbie want to manage QotS? Thought he had it pretty cushty still getting to stay in Blackpool and travelling through - It'd be quite a bit harder to do if he became manager I'd have thought?

13 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Will Dobbie want to manage QotS? Thought he had it pretty cushty still getting to stay in Blackpool and travelling through - It'd be quite a bit harder to do if he became manager I'd have thought?

Don't think it would be any harder, He spends alot of his time in Glasgow at the moment. 

Don't think it would be any harder, He spends alot of his time in Glasgow at the moment. 

Really?! Is he not aware that the country is in the middle of a lockdown!!

7 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

He spends Tuesday and Thursday nights (and Fridays ahead of away games). I don't think it's remotely possible to manage in the Scottish League without being based in Scotland. Gavin Skelton lives a lot closer than Dobbie and found it an unmanageable problem. If Dobbie wants to manage in Scotland for us or anyone else he'd need to move to Scotland I think. A manager has a lot more hours to put in than a player.

Also could he be paid as well as he currently is as a player?

to become manager would he need to take a wage decrease as well as move closer to the needs of the manager position 

On 08/04/2020 at 22:56, SUPERSOUTH said:

Semple should be a priority signing for Johnston, He is a very good young CB there are not many of the likes going around. He really enjoys playing at Queens and plays with his heart on his sleave, shame maybe the manager doesn't quite grasp that would be a big loss to the club, He is a player the club could make money from in the future. 

Connor Murray to Livi very surprised to hear that he's a Championship level player at best, He hasn't improved enough in last few seasons to say otherwise... 

Allan Forrest signed for Livi today pre contract canny see them taking Murray as well... 

Allan Forrest signed for Livi today pre contract canny see them taking Murray as well... 

Tbf he signed for them way back in January so nothing has changed. Livi just agreed to hold off on announcing until the season was complete.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Tbf he signed for them way back in January so nothing has changed. Livi just agreed to hold off on announcing until the season was complete.

So is it complete then? 

So is it complete then? 

Yeah it was complete in January.

The season!! 

Aw ok hahaha.

I’ve no idea. Waiting to see how today’s vote has turned out but either way I don’t think this season will be completed.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah it was complete in January.

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The season!! 

Ours was.

The prospect of Dobbie ever becoming manager gives me the fear.  Even more so if he was to take over this rag tag bunch at such an uncertain time.

Some players immediately stand out as being manager material and I'm afraid Dobbie doesn't fall into that category for me in the slightest.  I don't even rate him particularly highly as a captain.  This current group were crying out for leadership and it was nowhere to be seen.

I don't doubt he is an influential character in the dressing room, as most senior players are.  He has a wealth of experience, both good and bad, to pass onto the younger players and I'm sure his stature commands a lot of respect.  There is more to management than that however, and his achievements as a player would soon lose their significance after a poor run as manger.

I remember similar calls for fellow legend Jim Thomson to become manager and the less said about that the better.

I'm not ruling Dobbie out completely as a future manager, but I'd much rather he cut his teeth elsewhere and was given the job on merit, than just walked into it because he was the nearest person.

25 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The prospect of Dobbie ever becoming manager gives me the fear.  Even more so if he was to take over this rag tag bunch at such an uncertain time.

Some players immediately stand out as being manager material and I'm afraid Dobbie doesn't fall into that category for me in the slightest.  I don't even rate him particularly highly as a captain.  This current group were crying out for leadership and it was nowhere to be seen.

I don't doubt he is an influential character in the dressing room, as most senior players are.  He has a wealth of experience, both good and bad, to pass onto the younger players and I'm sure his stature commands a lot of respect.  There is more to management than that however, and his achievements as a player would soon lose their significance after a poor run as manger.

I remember similar calls for fellow legend Jim Thomson to become manager and the less said about that the better.

I'm not ruling Dobbie out completely as a future manager, but I'd much rather he cut his teeth elsewhere and was given the job on merit, than just walked into it because he was the nearest person.

Having spoken to three or four current & past players players they all reckon Dobbie would  be a good manager. Think leave it at that if it happens it happens if not we will never know... 

I've said similar previously but I'm not sure about Dobbie as gaffer. I doubt I'll ever worship a QoS player in the same way ever again (and nothing can ever damage his achievements for us as a player) but the reality is, if he has a managerial stint with us and is poor, then we'll all be critical. I really don't want to see him in a negative light.

FWIW, if he could stamp his style of play on a side then it would make for good viewing. I agree he doesn't appear to be the most vocal on the park but then I don't think a striker should ever be the Captain (CM, CB or GK for me). Jimmy T was arguably one of our best Captains though and was never going to be a good manager so being a poorer Captain doesn't automatically mean he'll be poor as a gaffer IMO.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think a striker should ever be the Captain (CM, CB or GK for me).

I'm not a massive fan of strikers as captains either but I'd much rather a striker than a goalkeeper. There's also absolutely no reason why a full back couldn't be a captain.

Step forward Kevin Holt! Sir Stephen is without doubt a Queens legend but he’s not a Captain.

Maybe get him back to his old self if the Manager gave the Captaincy to Kevin.

Wonder if Queens were involved with the Championship Whatts App group amongst club reps that ICT Gardiner was taking about on the radio yesterday.

I don't really think there's any need for such a thing, surely each club should be able to make its own mind up without discussing it with other clubs.... 

25 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Wonder if Queens were involved with the Championship Whatts App group . 

No .