Jump to content
qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

Recommended Posts

I try and give an honest view on everything QOTS.

Not only because Callum plays but because I have followed Queens for 35 years.

Certainly by no means a regular as others due to location, but a fan none the less

I certainly take your point but it is the most difficult thing not to give my opinion whether agreed with or not. But yes you are correct. 

Time to go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, baw heid said:

 I thought the back line and the keeper show great promise and if we do better shutting down crosses and handling corner kicks, as we will, 

I have no idea why some Queens fans just assume that you'll get better at defending crosses and set pieces; it's not a passive quality that you gain with match practice - you either find a defensive system that works or you just keep chucking the goals in every week. And by the same token, the other teams in the division have scope to improve their attacking set pieces: a Hopkin-managed side like ourselves will spend a lot of time doing that on the training ground throughout the campaign. 

Given that you proved just as dung at it throughout last season and finished 9th I'd be wee bit more concerned about that if I were you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Having a keeper who does not command his 6 yard box doesn’t help.
Having said that, let’s blame the 3 defenders that were hear last season. 
Maybe it is the defenders that can’t defend. Maybe it’s the keepers that can’t come and take a cross.
 
I'm not "blaming" anyone. I just find it hilarious that 3 games in our goalkeeper is already getting criticised for us conceding crosses when it's been a problem for 2 seasons prior. If you have 3 players who have been part of the problem over the course of two seasons and a goalkeeper who has been here 3 games would you not think it rational the 'older' players may be a bigger problem than the new guy?

The boy has already showed he isn't afraid to come off his line and yet it's still happening. I think we should maybe work on our marking and see if that improves things before shooting down the new guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooooo.....I thought the keeper showed he’s not scared to have a go at crosses but looked a bit nervous. That’s still a notch or two higher on the goalie scale than Martin and suggests some potential at least. Also felt we played some nice one touch football in patches particularly early on and created a decent number of half chances in the game. Sure Dobs would have nabbed one or two. Semple looked a bit heavy to me but he seems mobile enough. The big guy up front Hamilton already feeling more effective than Dykes for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Let's be having 2/3 signings this week PLEASE....... 

Can we wait for Wilson and Thomas from Killie on loan .

Will not get them not untill Killie sign some player might have to wait till late August to get them can we wait that long .

Would still like us to get 2 in this week then add Wilson and Thomas when we can a big ask with our budget but all depends how much we want to stay in the Championship the squad we have just now is just not good enough without Dobbie as well now for a few weeks .

Fraser Aird if we can't get Thomas ex AJ player 

 

Edited by Northfield 53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I just find it hilarious that 3 games in our goalkeeper is already getting criticised for us conceding crosses when it's been a problem for 2 seasons prior. If you have 3 players who have been part of the problem over the course of two seasons and a goalkeeper who has been here 3 games would you not think it rational the 'older' players may be a bigger problem than the new guy?

The boy has already showed he isn't afraid to come off his line and yet it's still happening. I think we should maybe work on our marking and see if that improves things before shooting down the new guy.

The big keeper was quick off his line and came for crosses where off side applied. The problem is corners where he is being blocked and the six yard area looks more like a rugby scrum.  We are not alone with this problem and relying on 2 people to work out who fouled first is near impossible. I think the increased use of VAR in major games will increase the number of penalties awarded as well as the number of fouls and will start to change the attitude of our  officials. Not sure I will like that. Still think reducing the numbers in the box by sending the little ones who have no chance of getting their head to the ball up the field meaning the opposition need to mark them. That bit of extra room should let our fine big keeper to get to the ball and release it quickly up the field.  I remember Aberdeen did this with Strachan and Bobby Clark, a fine keeper, and it caused the opposition to put 2 men on little Gordon,  but that's a long time ago. 

Edited by baw heid
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, baw heid said:

The big keeper was quick off his line and came for crosses where off side applied. The problem is corners where he is being blocked and the six yard area looks more like a rugby scrum.  We are not alone with this problem and relying on 2 people to work out who fouled first is near impossible. I think the increased use of VAR in major games will increase the number of penalties awarded as well as the number of fouls and will start to change the attitude of our  officials. Not sure I will like that. Still think reducing the numbers in the box by sending the little ones who have no chance of getting their head to the ball up the field meaning the opposition need to mark them. That bit of extra room should let our fine big keeper to get to the ball and release it quickly up the field.  I remember Aberdeen did this with Strachan and Bobby Clark, a fine keeper, and it caused the opposition to put 2 men on little Gordon,  but that's a long time ago. 

Reported for heightism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Reported for heightism.

Sorry to have offended wee man  I will try to behave as the big man I am in future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched highlights there, looking at it all 3 goals very cheap ones to lose. In saying that I thought we look pretty decent going forward. Wasn’t at the game unfortunately but it looked like Hamilton showed up a lot better than he has? Kidd looked decent, as did pybus. Semple losing his man for first and third on first viewing, would need to see again but did look that way. Kilday no sure why he takes the player out, when someone was covering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Fraser Aird if we can't get Thomas ex AJ player 

He’s so pish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Just watched highlights there, looking at it all 3 goals very cheap ones to lose. In saying that I thought we look pretty decent going forward. Wasn’t at the game unfortunately but it looked like Hamilton showed up a lot better than he has? Kidd looked decent, as did pybus. Semple losing his man for first and third on first viewing, would need to see again but did look that way. Kilday no sure why he takes the player out, when someone was covering

Semple did loose his man for the first goal but the man for the third goal came from the midfield Semple's man was on his arse at the time.  Highlights are just what they are a series of actions that are strapped together. Watching live gives the best indication of the overall game. I've said before we were decent for most of the match and the response to Semple's goal was great.  Our away support is the BEST 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2019 at 18:57, virginton said:

I have no idea why some Queens fans just assume that you'll get better at defending crosses and set pieces; it's not a passive quality that you gain with match practice - you either find a defensive system that works or you just keep chucking the goals in every week. And by the same token, the other teams in the division have scope to improve their attacking set pieces: a Hopkin-managed side like ourselves will spend a lot of time doing that on the training ground throughout the campaign. 

Given that you proved just as dung at it throughout last season and finished 9th I'd be wee bit more concerned about that if I were you.

 

There are plenty of reasons to think we will get better at defending crosses and set pieces: it is clearly going to be an objective to improve defending since clean sheets win points; the coaching staff and half of the back six have changed from last season; and, this particular manager did a number on our defending when he was last here.

A particular example was the 2-0 League Cup victory against Hibs. I had moved away from Dumfries and was seeing fewer games, so this one perhaps stands out for me for other reasons, but the thing I remember from that game was watching our flawless defensive shape and the fluidity of our defensive players as Hibs tried to find a way through unsuccessfully. For me, how good we became at defending is more of a hallmark of his earlier spell than our attacking play.

Naturally, that doesn't mean he will repeat his success, and defensive shape is different in some ways to defending cross balls, but there is no reason to assume that the obvious objective of improving our defending will be unsuccessful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely we will have at least 2 new signing in for Saturday if not then the squad we have just now is not good enough time get a result at Arbroath maybe with Dobbie we had a chance but no Dobbie no result 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely we will have at least 2 new signing in for Saturday if not then the squad we have just now is not good enough time get a result at Arbroath maybe with Dobbie we had a chance but no Dobbie no result 

We got a result at Morton last weekend with what we have and no Dobbie.

But yes, a couple of new players in would be welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard this week that Keltie Hearts have a budget of a million pounds a year for the next 7years for buying players. They may not have to use it of course ,therefore it will last longer. 

They out waged Falkirk in pursuit of a player, they own their own bus as well as two mini busses, Ferguson is on a four figure a week wage and also drives a club owned vehicle. 

What chance have we got, never mind lowland league clubs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely we will have at least 2 new signing in for Saturday if not then the squad we have just now is not good enough time get a result at Arbroath maybe with Dobbie we had a chance but no Dobbie no result 

It’s the waiting game now to see who’ll become available on loan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

It’s the waiting game now to see who’ll become available on loan. 

We can't wait till the end of August we could be bottom of the league we need players now  but as always it is all to do with money something we don't have a lot of .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...