qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

Indeed.
Really I think your being very harsh on a young lad who was throwing in a the deep end it was the so called experienced players who let him down imo,

59 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Season hasn't even started yet and our players are getting called "gash." 

Kind of what I was thinking. Do these guys read this? Not exactly encouraging!

In the space of a few hours it’s gone from quietly optimistic to doom and gloom.

how did that happen ?

BORDER CARS in major financial trouble and closing some or all of its garages. 

Aren't they a major sponsor of Queens and don’t they supply the car for our deluxe draw ?

12 hours ago, SueSue said:

In the space of a few hours it’s gone from quietly optimistic to doom and gloom.

how did that happen ?

I blame palmy_cammy for categorising players and introducing a bit of reality.  Personally I've supported Queens long enough to err on the side of glass half empty until proved otherwise approach.  Even if some fans optimism is proved to be well-founded it can all go wrong pretty quickly as last season proved. 

12 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

BORDER CARS in major financial trouble and closing some or all of its garages. 

Aren't they a major sponsor of Queens and don’t they supply the car for our deluxe draw ?

I heard that story at the weekend from a relative of someone who works there.  I don't know exactly how much Border Cars put into QoS but it'll be a blow if they do fold.  Rumoured  they were closing all of their showrooms and workshops in the region except the Terregles St one in Dumfries which was being downsized.  Hopefully our Commercial Department can get other backers if this comes about. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

17 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

Season hasn't even started yet and our players are getting called "gash." 

16 hours ago, louisxiv said:

Kind of what I was thinking. Do these guys read this? Not exactly encouraging!

Agree with this. 

I guess some people are just easily led. The OP started out by saying Leighfield, Mercer and Oliver are decent. Then someone pointed out the "lack of gash" as a reason to be optimistic, and OP - rather than just accept that the second poster had a valid point about being optimistic - decided it was better to tear down a handful of young players in our squad. 

Understandable that the players look at this website even if they shouldn't. A lot of their careers and ability to perform is based on what people think of them. Of course they are going to look.

Fair enough criticise players throughout the season if it's deserved but calling young players gash when they are actually doing alright, just for the sake of not being wrong on a football forum, is the definition of talking shite.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

It wouldn't be a Queen of the South crowd, forum or gathering without the same old shouts, posts or voices of pure doom and gloom.  It's been a speciality of our crowd since I can remember.  Rather than say nothing at all they would rather kick and drag the team and all those around them down with there absolute negativity. 😴😴😴

It wouldn't be a Queen of the South crowd, forum or gathering without the same old shouts, posts or voices of pure doom and gloom.  It's been a speciality of our crowd since I can remember.  Rather than say nothing at all they would rather kick and drag the team and all those around them down with there absolute negativity. 

Some truth in this but not sure that makes us different from almost any other group of football fans TBH.

Every group of fans has the doom and gloomers as well as the happy clappers and pretty much everything in between

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Some truth in this but not sure that makes us different from almost any other group of football fans TBH.

Every group of fans has the doom and gloomers as well as the happy clappers and pretty much everything in between

Exactly this. It may just happen to be that the doom and gloomers speak up more for themselves when it comes to P&B, but there are certainly many inbetweeners and positive outlookers on Queens dealings. Don't get me wrong, a few of these doom and gloomers I imagine are the ones that like to be heard in the pubs before and after the games and probably had the cheek to find a fault in our 5-0 dismantling of Ayr last year for example! 😒

It would be a very boring place if everyone shared the same views on every topiic,  and the number of posters would drop off dramatically if those easily offended or those . criticised for being too vociferous took the huff and didn't come back. It's only a football forum after all in which a cross section of society,  mostly annonomously,  air their views,  it's not a summit of world leaders. Compared to some other Club threads ours is probably one of the least contentious anyway. 

That must be a “full house” on pre-season bingo now?

We’ve had panic when we didn’t sign an entire squad the week after the season ended.

Criticism about the friendlies being closed door and not playing a “glamour friendly”.

And now the latest instalment of “happy clappers vs doom mongers”.

Have I missed any?

Ffs, this place is unreal Why is it blind optimism is ok but when someone posts something realistic they are classed as doom mongers? Nothing has been said that isn't factually correct. If you had to list every single player in the division from best to worst, we would have a few players down near the bottom. That's not criticising them, it's stating a fact. Some people need to relax a bit.

Exactly this. It may just happen to be that the doom and gloomers speak up more for themselves when it comes to P&B, but there are certainly many inbetweeners and positive outlookers on Queens dealings. Don't get me wrong, a few of these doom and gloomers I imagine are the ones that like to be heard in the pubs before and after the games and probably had the cheek to find a fault in our 5-0 dismantling of Ayr last year for example! 

I'm a pessimist/realist (so a "doom and gloomer" by your standards I'd imagine) and it's the complete opposite for me. I will post my frustrations on here throughout the season but I will never attack a player at the game. For a good while I couldn't be doing with Mercer and he frustrated the life out of me but I never once shouted abuse at him. I don't see how any good can come from berating a player. On here is different, the players can quite easily choose not to read it. At the game they don't have much of a choice.

If players cant read this and cant handle reading abit of criticism about them, then what hope do they have of mentally coping with the demands of professional football? What their attitude should be is "I'll show you I can be a decent player at this level". At present some of those on our books at their very best have been no more than average at this level hence the honest post from Palmy Cammy. Every player should get the same treatment when it comes to age. Too often we have been mollycoddling and protecting youngsters from the truth (that they arent very good) and they have ended up having very average careers. Maybe a few home truths will be good and spur them to improve.

It's weird how some people attach a moral judgement to whether posters are optimistic, realistic or pessimistic in outlook.  

Surely our centenary game will need to be organised soon and be played this year. When will we fit it in? 

Edited by ALOREBURNE
Typo

30 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Surely our centenary game will need to be organised soon and be played this year. When will we fit it in? 

Sorry,  can't respond in case of being labelled a doom-monger.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sorry,  can't respond in case of being labelled a doom-monger.

Come on, we need some more panic about this game and moaning is also encouraged. 

3 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Come on, we need some more panic about this game and moaning is also encouraged. 

Well seeing as you raised the subject,  I'm a bit concerned that nothing has been organised as yet,  as far as I know.  I'm sure there are other events organised to mark the occasion, such as a  golf day,  dinner event possibly,  but no obvious word of any football match which is what most are interested in I would guess.  Now that the new season is virtually upon us will the club be able to find the time or opposition of any calibre to stage what should be a big glamour game. Maybe plans are being worked on to bring about this game but it certainly seems to be being kept under wraps.  

12th October is a free Saturday (at present).  Presume that is set aside for internationals/Tunnocks Cup fixtures?  If so - and if we're out of the Wafercup - then we could maybe get Killie/Leeds/Valencia/Harlem Globetrotters booked in for then.

23th November is also empty, but I'd assume that will be a Scottish Cup Saturday (which we'd be involved).