• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It depends what version of Lyle you are talking about. The current Derek Lyle wouldn’t have the legs to make any kind of impact in this current team so making comparisons is pointless. You’d be as well criticising Dobbie’s goal return for being poor in comparison to Jim Patterson.

I just don't get this attitude that Lyle has reached a certain stage and is now completely useless and ineffectual.

Of course, nature dictates that anyone will slow down with age  but that is not the only factor to be considered.

Dobbie is now fitter than he ever was with us first time around but he does not - and never has had - great pace.

He and Lyle compensate for that with their experience  and  natural instinct to get themselves into scoring positions.

They are sharp mentally and don.t rely purely on the physical.

Lyle is a far superior player than Dykes because of that and I would argue that Del wins more headers, holds the ball up far better , would provide more assists for Dobbie - they are on the same wavelength -  and score far more goals.

He would therefore be an asset  to this and any other team,

To not offer him a contract for one more season and leave ourselves glaringly short of  striking options  - which most seem to agree on -  is very poor Management.

Lyle is one of my favourite players of the last decade. I've never been a superfan of Dykes*. I wouldn't swap Dykes for Lyle if the opportunity presented itself though. Dykes has been excellent this season and will likely get his move next season. His technical ability has improved ten-fold this season (learning from Dobbie?) and I'm sure Dobbie is grateful he's there.

Lyle and Dobbie never worked for me. Our system needs a runner up front and neither Dobbie or Lyle do that.

Dykes isn't great in front of goal but I find it astounding that folk can't see what he brings to our side.

*But I certainly don't dislike him either.

I just don't get this attitude that Lyle has reached a certain stage and is now completely useless and ineffectual.
Of course, nature dictates that anyone will slow down with age  but that is not the only factor to be considered.
Dobbie is now fitter than he ever was with us first time around but he does not - and never has had - great pace.
He and Lyle compensate for that with their experience  and  natural instinct to get themselves into scoring positions.
Lyle is a far superior player than Dykes because of that and I would argue that Del wins more headers, holds the ball up far better , would provide more assists for Dobbie - they are on the same wavelength -  and score far more goals.
To not offer him a contract for one more season and leave ourselves glaringly short of  striking options  - which most seem to agree on -  is very poor Management.

Incorrect again. Mr Lyle had no future at Queens and quite simply had to go in the end. Correct decision by the club & management team.

I love Derek Lyle as much as any Queens fan, maybe more, but Sloop John summed up very well the other day why him and Dobbie didn’t work as a pairing. With no runners in the forward areas teams were able to defend high and suffocate us.

Dykes and Lyle may well have worked to a similar but lesser degree than the current Dykes and Dobbie partnership, but in a straight choice between Dobbie and Lyle it is a complete no brainer.

If we had had a player of the ilk of Chris Kane to bring off the bench yesterday we would probably have won as we were finding space in behind. Lyle would have offered very little.

Aberdeen away if we go through*.

Won't be as devastated if we get put out on Tuesday then :(

*Unless Stenny pull off a shock.

Aberdeen away would be a great trip, why would you not want that to happen?

Even Gus got a draw up there so nothing to fear!

It wouldn't be a massive money maker and I expect we'd get beat. Doesn't really tick any boxes for me to see it as a positive draw tbh.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It wouldn't be a massive money maker and I expect we'd get beat. Doesn't really tick any boxes for me to see it as a positive draw tbh.

They'll mostly likely pull a 10k + crowd which will be in the upper end of the teams in the draw so it will be decent enough crowd, plus a game against the 2nd best team in the country last season so there's a lot to be excited about, considering the range of potentially horrible draws, this is quite an intriguing one. Stone Cold Stenhousemuir will dispatch of them anyway.

They'll mostly likely pull a 10k + crowd which will be in the upper end of the teams in the draw so it will be decent enough crowd, plus a game against the 2nd best team in the country last season so there's a lot to be excited about, considering the range of potentially horrible draws, this is quite an intriguing one. Stone Cold Stenhousemuir will dispatch of them anyway.
I suppose it'll depend how interested their support are but 10k sounds about right tbh.

Probably being very harsh on our players that I expect to get beat. I'd just have been happier with a home fixture. Have we ever won up there out of interest?

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I suppose it'll depend how interested their support are but 10k sounds about right tbh.

Probably being very harsh on our players that I expect to get beat. I'd just have been happier with a home fixture. Have we ever won up there out of interest?

After a quick google, we apparently last won there in April 1958.

Struggling to think of the last time we played Dundee then Aberdeen in consecutive rounds of the cup, right enough... :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just had a quick look so could be wrong. It looks like the last game we won up there was 1957/58 which we won 4-3. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not in the least harsh.

Beating Aberdeen would be a remarkable result.  It's highly unlikely.

Cue someone posting the 2008 semi no doubt, but the reality is that they'd be very strong favourites; rightly so.

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think we tried to renew Semple’s deal but my understanding is that has gone to Ross County on very decent money indeed.

Maybe he is going to County maybe he is not but how the hell can you comment on the young lads salary ?

Perhaps not a massive money maker but a money maker none the less. Something this club desperately needs.

Great result all round yesterday.

Battered Dundee to be fair, extra revenue for the replay and a great game at Aberdeen to look forward to.

The tactics now look more attacking but we still look solid at the back.

Looking forward to the next 3 months.

Maybe he is going to County maybe he is not but how the hell can you comment on the young lads salary ?

There are no specifics mentioned and I made a general comment.

7 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

There are no specifics mentioned and I made a general comment.

If he is going on loan he would be on the same salary he was on at Queens I would imagine, based on his Sheffield salary.

If it’s permanent then god only knows.