The Queen of the South thread

We actually have some decent alternatives up front with Coogans (who i hear is very promising) Oliver and Smith - cant understand why Kidd is seen as a better option.

Personally was very surprised that we agreed to bring forward yet another Morton game next Sat in preference to a festive fixture especially as we have just played them twice in space of a few weeks.

Not sure that i see the logic of this but 3 points would be very welcome.

Now we are seeing how good a coach/manager he is, he inherited a decent team a year ago mainly put together by Alan Johnston. After losing the more promising players to further there careers he has had to cobble together his own team. The few times I have seen them this season they look pretty poor, I doubt we will go down but a bottom half finish looks likely. No doubt the board of directors will be judging him more on the squad of players he has assembled rather than inherited !!!

Fowler had a hard job in the summer having to replace a lot of good players but his signings so far have been very poor.

Do we let him go on ?

Give him till Xmas then get rid ?

We get worse every week not better

Playing Kidd behind Lyle was like something Gus would have done.

We are playing not to lose games rather that to win which is not working..

Boring football will drive the fans away a lot have gone already.

We must at all costs stay in this league but as of now I just don,t see where the goals are going to come from.

We are 5th.

Let's leave that thought hanging for a second. We're slightly behind where we'd like to be. The way the fixtures have fallen, combined with a couple of poor home performances in particular has meant we're in the midst of a bit of a winless run. But we're 5th.

We are in the top half and four points outside the playoffs at the moment (we're 6 points clear of the relegation playoff spot). Raith's excellent consistent start has made ours look a bit worse than it actually is but we are still in the top half of the table.

I'm astounded some "supporters" are calling for the manager's head at this point. Absolutely ridiculous over-reactions from some.

HIbs are by no means world-beaters (we beat them twice last season) but it's not games against Hibs and Rangers we should be judged on. It's the games against everyone else. We've beaten three of the bottom four (the St Mirren result was certainly a bad one). We've drawn with the teams in 4th and 6th. We're not doing quite as well as last year, something pretty everyone accepted would be the case in the summer. Despite some people getting carried away after three games, we're inevitably not as good as last season. If the players we brought in were currently as good as the players who left then the bigger sides would have been signing them up, not the ones we already had. As disappointing as some of the results, and more especially the manner of goals conceded have been, we're talking relatively small margins here. If we'd not been denied a fairly obvious penalty at Starks Park we're maybe three points better off and Raith 3 points worse off. I appreciate we don't get any points for "ifs" but there really is some hysterical over-reaction going on at the moment.

We are 5th.

Let's leave that thought hanging for a second. We're slightly behind where we'd like to be. The way the fixtures have fallen, combined with a couple of poor home performances in particular has meant we're in the midst of a bit of a winless run. But we're 5th.

We are in the top half and four points outside the playoffs at the moment (we're 6 points clear of the relegation playoff spot). Raith's excellent consistent start has made ours look a bit worse than it actually is but we are still in the top half of the table.

I'm astounded some "supporters" are calling for the manager's head at this point. Absolutely ridiculous over-reactions from some.

HIbs are by no means world-beaters (we beat them twice last season) but it's not games against Hibs and Rangers we should be judged on. It's the games against everyone else. We've beaten three of the bottom four (the St Mirren result was certainly a bad one). We've drawn with the teams in 4th and 6th. We're not doing quite as well as last year, something pretty everyone accepted would be the case in the summer. Despite some people getting carried away after three games, we're inevitably not as good as last season. If the players we brought in were currently as good as the players who left then the bigger sides would have been signing them up, not the ones we already had. As disappointing as some of the results, and more especially the manner of goals conceded have been, we're talking relatively small margins here. If we'd not been denied a fairly obvious penalty at Starks Park we're maybe three points better off and Raith 3 points worse off. I appreciate we don't get any points for "ifs" but there really is some hysterical over-reaction going on at the moment.

Our Top half berth owes everything to our first three games.

We've since played twice as many matches and taken only two points from them, while wilting at home in the Cups.

Of course, calls for managerial heads are premature, but concern about the run we're on, is not at all misplaced.

I would remove the blue tinted spectacles !!! I am no qualified coach but having played the game and watched football for 35 years playing three at the back does not suit the personnel at the managers disposal. Playing a full back come wing back behind the main striker is head scratching at its best. The midfield is pedestrian at best and we have no cutting edge up top. The team are lacking self belief and confidence. Yes we have lost quality players and expectation amongst the support is not as high this season but the performances are poor. As I said I don't think relegation is looming but there is very little light at the end of the tunnel performance wise. Let's hope the spark is round the corner !!!

We are 5th.

We are probably still in 5th because the teams below us must be worse than we are which is saying something. Why should the Manager not be judged on games against Rangers and Hibs. If he chooses to play players out of position or leaves better qualified players on the bench then his judgement deserves to be questioned. Agree it is far too early to be calling for his head but I'll bet even the Chairman will be monitoring the situation closely. Most supporters actually pay money and travel long distances to go to games and don't have to peddle the Club line so they are within their rights to voice their concerns.

We are 5th.

Some fair points in that. I`m certainly not calling for Fowler to go.

We aren`t as good as last season albeit I`m not aware of many/any suggesting we should be.

Likewise as you suggest it`s slim margins in some of the games, though I`d add the same could be said with regard to our 3 early wins where by Fowler`s own admission we didn`t play particularly well.

The selection of Kidd up front yesterday seems bizarre, when we had 4 strikers on the bench. Likewise it seems stubborn at best from the manager that it took more than 60 minutes to change a plan that from the 3rd minute on was clearly not going to get us anything out of the match.

In short, I`d agree that it`s an over-reaction to look to get shot of Fowler. That said we have been dreadful to watch of late. If you pick a team that looks to keep things tight in a home match and lose 3-0 then you will inevitably attract criticism. We were dreadful to watch at Falkirk too albeit Falkirk were too poor to punish us and it was thus a decent point.

I think we`ll end up somehwere between 5th and 7th this season. Given the players we lost that won`t be a disaster.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The league position and points total are not the issue in terms of the target being staying up, which I think we are all now agreed on. It is the insipid performances since we last won. It is absolutely desperate stuff to watch.

We have scored 1 goal against the top 4 - a last gasp consolation when 5-0 down.

We couldn't score against St.Mirren either, or Morton or Livi in the cups.

It is not entertaining to watch. The main feeling I get when watching us now is boredom.

Iain Russell posted a tweet saying that we were too nice to teams and I have to agree with him even if it's merely a symptom rather than the cause of our of the poor form. I felt we lacked somebody like Burns and McKenna to get about teams and play with authority even when we aren't playing well and recycle the ball effectively, currently it's filled with similar players who aren't used to doing the dirty work.

I don't think fowler should go and certainly not at this point of season. We should look to see how the rest of the campaign goes both league and the scottish cup fowler should be able to keep ahead of the weaker squads in league perhaps alloa livi and Dumbarton and does what he can against other teams. January is when we can truly judge him whether he extends Hutton and heff good and bad that one what players he can hold onto and get rid of and if he can bring more quality in. Selection and formation he has to change for me oliver and smith/Coogan up front with lyle on for impact. Harris as a winger. I like fowler I feel he going through a rough patch don't we all but I can wait till January - end of the season to make my mind up

I also like Fowler and think he is a very promising coach.

I agree with Skyline - games against say Rangers, Hearts last season an Hibs are bonus games. We are underdogs BUT if you get great results the club benefits enormously :-

- club gets massive kudos via press and perhaps tv

- fans get a big boost from beating clubs of this stature

- players start to believe - that is what happened last year

I would argue that our two home wins against Rangers are amongst the best in the clubs history

We achieved those wins by deploying a formation that gave us good options up front. As soon as I saw the team yesterday my first reaction was comfortable and boring home defeat.

These are bonus games to some extent - BUT surely it is better to go at the opposition and keep home fans entertained. Fowler has done well no doubt about that but he should stop this tactical nonsense that is very typical of the sort of stuff that comes straight out of a Largs blackboard.

As others have said we had 3 other decent forward options yesterday - with pace and enthusiasm in abundance.

I am one of the "mugs" ( at least that is the printable view of my mates) who travels a 160 round trip to home games - and there are many others who do same- but there is no way that I want to make that trip only to find that our Manager clearly rates the opposition as " out of our grasp" and sets up with an isolated lone striker and a firmation designed to scrape a result. It seldom works and makes for very unentertaining fare.

Fowler is a promising Manager but lets play like we did at Riath in defeat - attacking, getting men forward and playing entertaining football. That is not an unrealistic objective in my view.

I also like Fowler and think he is a very promising coach.

I agree with Skyline - games against say Rangers, Hearts last season an Hibs are bonus games. We are underdogs BUT if you get great results the club benefits enormously :-

- club gets massive kudos via press and perhaps tv

- fans get a big boost from beating clubs of this stature

- players start to believe - that is what happened last year

I would argue that our two home wins against Rangers are amongst the best in the clubs history

We achieved those wins by deploying a formation that gave us good options up front. As soon as I saw the team yesterday my first reaction was comfortable and boring home defeat.

These are bonus games to some extent - BUT surely it is better to go at the opposition and keep home fans entertained. Fowler has done well no doubt about that but he should stop this tactical nonsense that is very typical of the sort of stuff that comes straight out of a Largs blackboard.

As others have said we had 3 other decent forward options yesterday - with pace and enthusiasm in abundance.

I am one of the "mugs" ( at least that is the printable view of my mates) who travels a 160 round trip to home games - and there are many others who do same- but there is no way that I want to make that trip only to find that our Manager clearly rates the opposition as " out of our grasp" and sets up with an isolated lone striker and a firmation designed to scrape a result. It seldom works and makes for very unentertaining fare.

Fowler is a promising Manager but lets play like we did at Riath in defeat - attacking, getting men forward and playing entertaining football. That is not an unrealistic objective in my view.

I can pretty much accept that most teams will fail to get much from Rangers this season, meaning that our performances against them are unlikely to have a vast significance, unless we sneak one of those bonus results.

I don't however accept that Hibs fall into the same bracket. We must be looking to really compete with Hibs, particularly in the home games. Other sides will be looking to get results against them and will do so fairly frequently.

I think it's fair what SD says but the football on offer this season apart from alloa and morton at home and raith/dumbarton away, in the league has been pretty poor We badly need a win and to start creating chances. I don't want fowler gone like some but I hope there will be some better football on offer in the coming weeks.

Edited by QosLoyal