The Queen of the South thread

I feel Marshall is as good as Holt and prob will turn out to be better through time, The manager has recruited very well who would have thot after 4 comp games we would have won all 4 still be in the league cup & petrofac cup which is better than last years squad, That included the forgotten 5 of Durnan Holt Mcshane Carmichael & Reilly. QUEENS are being run very well on & off the park. Well done Fowler & Hewitson and the rest of the staff.

You may well be right about Marshall but I would say it's too early to tell.

To clarify, I was comparing Marshall now with Holt when he left. As others pointed out, the discussion was about this year's team versus last. A comparison of Holt and Marshall when they made their respective debuts is a whole other discussion.

For the record, I think Marshall has done really well given his age and previous experience.

Some Queens posters natural gloom is a good thread leveller for those getting carried away. I don't expect us to be genuinely challenging the top three but things will be a hell of a lot better than predicted by some after the summer exodus. Fourth place and another play off is not unrealistic and thats my prediction.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

How anyone can say marshall is as good as holt right now is beyond me. He has done ok but nothing more nothing less. The same people love to overhype things when we do well and overreact when we are'nt .

First time seeing the new players yesterday and very impressed with the new recruits. Keeper didn't have much to do but handled everything he had to do comfortably. Marshall looks very promising for 18 years old and hardly put a foot wrong, Hilson looks a very clever player and has a lot more football in him than Gavin but will he find the net more ? I'm not so sure. Jacobs was always getting stuck in, looks fairly comfortable on the ball and will be vital to how we do this season.

Special mention for Aidan Smith again what a promising young player we have on our hands. The pace he shows at times is frightening and will cause defenders almost double his size tonnes of problems. I think Darren Cole was expecting him to run through his legs next.

Edited by Broony88

I think Jordan Marshall has done well so far. I certainly wouldn't put him in the Holt category just yet but Holty himself wasn't in that category either when he first got into the team. Give the lad time.

As for the back line as a whole, I am not convinced we have right back totally sorted yet. We probably don't have the option of playing Dowie there, now that Durnan has gone. I still think he will be a big miss.

As for the midfield, I have been impressed so far with Jacobs, as a McKenna replacement, and with Conroy in the creativity department. Miller looks like a new player but I haven't seen enough of the new model yet to form an opinion.

I tend to agree with those that point out that we haven't had, on paper at least, the toughest run of fixtures, and I would include Dumbarton (a) in that, so overall I am pleased so far with what I have seen but for me it's still a rebuilding season and I would expect us to be midtable somewhere.

Happy enough with the start and don't think Fowler could have done any better in replacing the number and quality of players who have departed.

But before getting carried away, we have beaten part-time Stranraer, who lost 4-0 at home to Peterhead, we drew with Annan over 90 minutes, same as Stirling Albion and we beat part-time Alloa and probably the worst full-time team in the division.

No complaints about the results so far, but too early to draw any conclusions.

Edited to correct the Stranraer score.

Absolutely spot on and I was about to write something similar.

Our first test will be against the Dark Horses that are Dumbarton. Their starting 11 is as good as good as everyone else in this division IMO, and their first few results seem to back up my thoughts. I'd genuinely be chuffed with a point next week.

Tuesday night , do we stick or twist ? By that I mean bring in those banging at the door of first 11 or keep the same team ? I am for option 1

I'm for bringing in some new guys and resting others. So why not bring in most of Smith, Hooper, Atkinson, Heffernan, Brownlie, Hutton, Pickard at least for a reasonable amount of game time, if not the whole shebang?

My early assessment is that the midfield is undoubtedly stronger. Millar, Jacobs and Conroy are a big improvement on old man Kerr and anonymous McShane. For all that they are both club legends, Tapping and Hutton won't have to do very much to improve on Burns and McKenna's contribution last year. My only concern would be that Fowler doesn't quite know how to get the best out of the aforementioned 3, and that pushing Conroy out wide isn't the best solution to that.

Up front we are probably slightly weaker in the starting XI but have greater depth than last season. Lyle has started all guns blazing but for us to do well the strikers will need to share the goals out amongst themselves.

Goalkeeper I suppose the jury is out, but Clark took a while to convince some so I'd suggest we are no worse off anyway, perhaps on a par with last season.

I'm unsure about the defence. It was always going to be difficult losing players of the quality of Holt and Durnan. We seemed to have found a worthy replacement for Holt, and Higgins and Dowie are a strong central defensive partnership, but we don't look as strong as unit, but that will take time to build I suppose. Hooper has done well when called upon. I'd like to get a chance to see Brownlie during the week. If he can do a job in the centre I'd be tempted to stick Dowie out to right-back to tighten us up.

So far they've done all that's been asked of them (and more than we'd achieved at this stage last season), and with tougher tests to come the confidence from our unbeaten start should prove invaluable.

Early days but the league doesn't look as strong as last year and St. Mirren and Hibs, who I thought would make the playoffs, have started badly.

Dumbarton are dark horses and may make the playoffs with Rangers possibly doing a Hearts.

So adding in Falkirk and Raith it's going to be competitive for the playoffs.

Are we realistically looking at playoffs. How will we fair against rangers saints and Hibs. I felt before season kicked off we be in a straight fight for forth with Raith and Falkirk but now I not so sure. Hopefully Hibs continue their poor form and and we can take points off of everyone in league ( think we will really struggle with rangers the way they started)

I'll pleasantly surprised (shocked) if we finish 4th tbh. Hibs and Saints were beaten by The Sons because they have a strong starting 11 who'll give everyone a game. But they'll have their injuries/suspensions and they don't have as much quality in depth. The Rangers will buy the league, Hibs and Saints will fight it out for 2nd (Saints will win it IMO) and I reckon 4th will be taken by Falkirk. We'll battle it out for 5th with Raith and Dumbarton. Genuinely think we'll finish 5th,6th or 7th. Obviously I hope that I'm completely wrong and we do in fact make the play-offs :)

Tuesday night , do we stick or twist ? By that I mean bring in those banging at the door of first 11 or keep the same team ? I am for option 1

Agree with this to a certain extent, From what I saw of Livingston yesterday I think we could bring in a couple of "fringe" players from the start and still progress and maybe give another couple a decent run-out from the bench. I wouldn't want to see wholesale changes to yesterday's starting 11 as the new recruits are still very much trying to form a team understanding. I suppose it very much depends on how the management team view this game. Do they see it as an opportunity to try different things or go with what they think's best to give them a chance to progress.

I remember what happened last time Dumbarton challenged us for fourth two years ago . They got blown out of the water in the end up . The Sons might well have a decent starting eleven but I can't see their squad being able to keep it up for 8 months .

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Guest TOPFITTER

I remember what happened last time Dumbarton challenged us for fourth two years ago . They got blown out of the water in the end up . The Sons might well have a decent starting eleven but I can't see their squad being able to keep it up for 8 months .

Don't thinks Sons fans or Manager or Players would argue with you. However their early form with Queens developed W Gibson pulling the strings is good. I suppose they will see progress this season as 6-8th position in the league.

Don't thinks Sons fans or Manager or Players would argue with you. However their early form with Queens developed W Gibson pulling the strings is good. I suppose they will see progress this season as 6-8th position in the league.

Yes, I am pleased Willie is doing well and wish him the best ( as long as it isn't against Queens )

Guest TOPFITTER

Yes, I am pleased Willie is doing well and wish him the best ( as long as it isn't against Queens )

Message received and understood,,, you can understand my dilemma ;)