The Queen of the South thread

who do you all think we should keep out of the current set of players? I personally think kevin holt and durnan should be the two we try and keep the most , I wouldn't be that bothered if gavin rielly went to hearts and we got a decent fee for him as hes been terrible since Christmas , he wont even get a game at hearts as he is not spl quality yet . would be more disappointed if we lost holt than rielly

Release - Dzierzawski and Mitchell.

Undecided - Clark, Slattery, Paton.

Keep - the rest.

I posted the above in the Keep, Release or Undecided thread a month ago and nothing has changed for me.

Mitchell has of course already agreed to move on, and I expect Dzierzawski will follow, probably at his own request if nothing else.

Slattery seems to be doing well from what I've heard at Queens Park. I've no idea if that translates into being good enough for our first team though. Those promising performances in the 2nd Division are a long time ago now and he's well down the pecking order. It is quite possible he will want to move on to make his mark elsewhere.

All Paton has done in the proceding month since I made that post is move himself more into the "release" category and less in the "undecided" one. His only saving grace could be if we lose Carmichael and Reilly we will be short of attacking players and it might be a case of "better the devil you know". There is definitely a talent in there somewhere but he frustrates the hell out of me! Perhaps with a good pre-season under his belt he will become more consistent. He's got to be approaching last chance saloon though.

I like Clark and wouldn't object to him returning on loan again. I would like to see us sign a number 1 of our own though, register Kenny Arthur as backup, and send Jim Atkinson out on loan. The only way the youngster will progress is through playing every week and I don't think he's ready for this level.

I'd like to keep the rest but it is looking likely that a few will be off, and you can't grudge them it to be honest. Holt will be the biggest miss, he is a tremendous player and the most likely to go far of the current crop IMO. Reilly's goals will be hard to replace, but I have hope that young Aidan Smith is going to be Reilly mkII, he seems to play in a similar style and has broken through at a similar age. We've seen a lot of the good Carmichael this season, but his overall time with Queens has been hit and miss. He will be a loss if he goes, but he is certainly replaceable. There haven't been as many rumours about Durnan as there were around January. I don't know if that is because his form has dipped since then? Another year alongside Higgins and Dowie wouldn't be the worst move he could make. He'll be a miss if he goes, but again replaceable. McShane is probably the least likely to move because a fee would be involved, which is a shame. I would bite the hand off any club who would be willing to pay a fee for him. Overrated, and easily replaced.

who do you all think we should keep out of the current set of players? I personally think kevin holt and durnan should be the two we try and keep the most , I wouldn't be that bothered if gavin rielly went to hearts and we got a decent fee for him as hes been terrible since Christmas , he wont even get a game at hearts as he is not spl quality yet . would be more disappointed if we lost holt than rielly

Think we will lose both and tend to agree that i would miss Holt more than Reilly.

I posted the above in the Keep, Release or Undecided thread a month ago and nothing has changed for me.

Mitchell has of course already agreed to move on, and I expect Dzierzawski will follow, probably at his own request if nothing else.

Slattery seems to be doing well from what I've heard at Queens Park. I've no idea if that translates into being good enough for our first team though. Those promising performances in the 2nd Division are a long time ago now and he's well down the pecking order. It is quite possible he will want to move on to make his mark elsewhere.

All Paton has done in the proceding month since I made that post is move himself more into the "release" category and less in the "undecided" one. His only saving grace could be if we lose Carmichael and Reilly we will be short of attacking players and it might be a case of "better the devil you know". There is definitely a talent in there somewhere but he frustrates the hell out of me! Perhaps with a good pre-season under his belt he will become more consistent. He's got to be approaching last chance saloon though.

I like Clark and wouldn't object to him returning on loan again. I would like to see us sign a number 1 of our own though, register Kenny Arthur as backup, and send Jim Atkinson out on loan. The only way the youngster will progress is through playing every week and I don't think he's ready for this level.

I'd like to keep the rest but it is looking likely that a few will be off, and you can't grudge them it to be honest. Holt will be the biggest miss, he is a tremendous player and the most likely to go far of the current crop IMO. Reilly's goals will be hard to replace, but I have hope that young Aidan Smith is going to be Reilly mkII, he seems to play in a similar style and has broken through at a similar age. We've seen a lot of the good Carmichael this season, but his overall time with Queens has been hit and miss. He will be a loss if he goes, but he is certainly replaceable. There haven't been as many rumours about Durnan as there were around January. I don't know if that is because his form has dipped since then? Another year alongside Higgins and Dowie wouldn't be the worst move he could make. He'll be a miss if he goes, but again replaceable. McShane is probably the least likely to move because a fee would be involved, which is a shame. I would bite the hand off any club who would be willing to pay a fee for him. Overrated, and easily replaced.

This, except the McShane bit. There isnt really anyone in the squad I wouldnt keep. Having said that, Millar and Paton staying would be conditional on them coming through a proper pre-season.

I'd be amazed if we kept Holt, Reilly and Durnan, but even one or two of them staying would be a huge plus.

Not sure I fully agree about Reilly being terrible since Christmas, yes his goal scoring is well down in the second half of the season compared to the first, but his contributions to the team are still valuable. I would expect Lyle to say the same they have worked well for each other as a pair.

As for Holt, he's come on a lot offensively and adds great energy to the team but defensively he has a long way to go. Their second goal was his fault on Saturday and I could see him really struggling against some of the premier league wingers next season if he goes to Dundee.

We've been spoilt slightly recently with the crop of local youngsters who have come through the ranks and that's the way in football if some move on, hopefully there are others waiting to get their chanceand step up to shine in the first team.

I see they are rallying the troops on the MAD site for the Rangers game, you have to admire them, you really do. They can't understand why the Queens allocation has not sold out, but you really have to be a diehard to watch the same teams every other week. God knows how many times Queens have played Rangers during the past few years, but it certainly no longer appealing due to the regularity of this fixture. Let's see how many turn up against Forfar next season, especially after six or seven games including the usual cup dross. I know I keep repeating this, please try to change the current system, it will not entice the floating fan due to the lack of different teams playing in the fixtures every other week. If Queens win, is it Hibs AGAIN?

I see they are rallying the troops on the MAD site for the Rangers game, you have to admire them, you really do. They can't understand why the Queens allocation has not sold out, but you really have to be a diehard to watch the same teams every other week. God knows how many times Queens have played Rangers during the past few years, but it certainly no longer appealing due to the regularity of this fixture. Let's see how many turn up against Forfar next season, especially after six or seven games including the usual cup dross. I know I keep repeating this, please try to change the current system, it will not entice the floating fan due to the lack of different teams playing in the fixtures every other week. If Queens win, is it Hibs AGAIN?

Posting the same thing over and over on here isn't going to change anything.

I honestly want things to change, I'm certainly not posting the same thing just to be slagged off by the diehards. Let's face it, how many are sick of the sight of Livingston? Bigger leagues and segregated cup games is the only answer to get the missing fans back.

I honestly want things to change, I'm certainly not posting the same thing just to be slagged off by the diehards. Let's face it, how many are sick of the sight of Livingston? Bigger leagues and segregated cup games is the only answer to get the missing fans back.

16 team league as the top 4 move up this season then. Edited by SUPERSOUTH

What's the problem with McShane? Absolutely ridiculous comment to say 'overrated, and easily replaced'As a youngster still making his way in the game, of course his performances will dip. Easily the most creative midfielder at the club, and his numerous assists from set-plays have been a big bonus this season. The good Carmichael as you refer to has only recently found some kind of form,surprisingly, as he did at this time last season?Far sooner have McShane playing for Queens next season than Carmichael. McShane has improved since becoming a regular starter, whilst Carmichael is the most frustrating player at the club.

Maybe not the only answer, but would help. A couple of seasons back we played Partick 7 times. (And that's obviously pre the play-offs being introduced!) It felt like we were in a two-team league.

Still, some consolation. We finished second.

What's the problem with McShane? Absolutely ridiculous comment to say 'overrated, and easily replaced'As a youngster still making his way in the game, of course his performances will dip. Easily the most creative midfielder at the club, and his numerous assists from set-plays have been a big bonus this season. The good Carmichael as you refer to has only recently found some kind of form,surprisingly, as he did at this time last season?Far sooner have McShane playing for Queens next season than Carmichael. McShane has improved since becoming a regular starter, whilst Carmichael is the most frustrating player at the club.

People are allowed to have their own opinions aren't they, just like you. Can McShane still be classed as a youngster making his way in the game, he's into his twenties and does not appear to be improving. I think we have potentially better players than McShane out on loan and if Millar was fitter McShane would struggle to get in the side. A good squad player at best. It would be interesting to see the percentages of how many of his set play deliveries actually resulted in goals. His asset is his fitness and workrate which he needs to compensate for the shortage of ability. Yes he has a modicum of ability but is no way indispensable. Carmichael has performed well for most of the season, not just lately. How many MOM awards has McShane won compared to Carmichael this season. Certainly at away games I can't recall McShane getting one award on the travel buses whilst Carmichael has won several.

McShane has improved significantly year on year at the club. He's not the finished article but he's getting there. As midfielders go he's never going to be a player that dives into every challenge and kicks anything that moves, his game is about getting on the ball and finding passes to open up teams for team mates have made runs. His strengths are his willingness to be on the ball and his energy. It would appear that all our recent managers could see a player in him as they all give him plenty of game time.

Playing along side the likes of McKenna, Millar and Burns in the middle seems like a good blend to me, one ball winner and one play maker. Love him or hate him I thing he's coming along fine.

Edited by Hawk

I don't want facts to get in the way of your argument but a 16 team league would create a load of meaningless games, the current system kept most of the teams competitive for most of the season. The second tier would be filled with part time dross with poor supports and would be terrible if we stayed in there for a while. Not to mention the revenues being stretched so clubs would receive less money.

The only thing in a league structure sense is that I'd change is add another 2 teams and make the league like the premiership with an end of season split.

I absolutely agree that the smaller leagues are more competitive and that the smaller supported part-time teams would decimate our game. However, someone has got come up with answers because I think that even games with Rangers do not any longer hold the same excitement due to the games being too frequent.

McShane has improved significantly year on year at the club. He's not the finished article but he's getting there. As midfielders go he's never going to be a player that dives into every challenge and kicks anything that moves, his game is about getting on the ball and finding passes to open up teams for team mates have made runs. His strengths are his willingness to be on the ball and his energy. It would appear that all our recent managers could see a player in him as they all give him plenty of game time.

Playing along side the likes of McKenna, Millar and Burns in the middle seems like a good blend to me, one ball winner and one play maker. Love him or hate him I thing he's coming along fine.

You are not classing Millar as a ball winner are you ?