The Queen of the South thread

Wouldn't say I have an overly biased opinion, things have been asked/said on this thread and I've replied to them as honestly as I can, what more can I do?

You could have offered the information that the boys on the u20 programme are either still at school or in an education programme with Dumfries & Galloway College funded by the club which leads to a BTEC Diploma in Sport.

A quick 'google' suggests that several other clubs offer near identical courses for young players between 16 and 19. I couldn't actually find another one that pays them at all as a matter of course according to their public literature. Most make a big thing about the fact the players won't be charged for it! If they boys hadn't moved on to the club they could well have still been at school / college earning nothing at all. They are still in their educational years. If any of them feel that they need to leave for a 'proper' job then they can do and I expect you are well aware that at least one has done this season. Some of this year's group are leaving the club at the end of the season to go to University now also.

Some similar programmes

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/documents/millwallfescholarship98-657150.pdf

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/feprogramme.htm

http://www.fetaltd.com/structure.html

Scottish clubs, including ourselves, seem to be far quieter on the subject but I'd be surprised if most of our peers are not operating something similar. Not exactly the same but Ayr United run something similar.

http://www.aufa.org.uk/education/college-programme/

You could have offered the information that the boys on the u20 programme are either still at school or in an education programme with Dumfries & Galloway College funded by the club which leads to a BTEC Diploma in Sport.

A quick 'google' suggests that several other clubs offer near identical courses for young players between 16 and 19. I couldn't actually find another one that pays them at all as a matter of course according to their public literature. Most make a big thing about the fact the players won't be charged for it! If they boys hadn't moved on to the club they could well have still been at school / college earning nothing at all. They are still in their educational years. If any of them feel that they need to leave for a 'proper' job then they can do and I expect you are well aware that at least one has done this season. Some of this year's group are leaving the club at the end of the season to go to University now also.

Some similar programmes

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/documents/millwallfescholarship98-657150.pdf

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/feprogramme.htm

http://www.fetaltd.com/structure.html

Scottish clubs, including ourselves, seem to be far quieter on the subject but I'd be surprised if most of our peers are not operating something similar. Not exactly the same but Ayr United run something similar.

http://www.aufa.org.uk/education/college-programme/

Does that mean that the boys are also entitled to apply for EMAs?

Just playing Devil's Advocate, what would be considered a fair wage for these lads? And where exactly would the Club get this extra cash from?

Do the club not get funding for the youths from the SFA as well as donations and sponsors from local businesses, where does that money get used?

Do the club not get funding for the youths from the SFA as well as donations and sponsors from local businesses, where does that money get used?

I've no idea in afraid. But that's pretty much why I'm asking the question.

I just wanted to be clear that you're claiming a trip of about an hour, around, 20 times a season was a factor in Mitchell club choice.

These precious footballers can't be expected to travel all the way to the Borders, to then represent a team from the only town in the country evil enough to vote in a Tory MP. If that isn't bad enough, they are then expected to play counter-attacking football on a terrible pitch. Won't somebody think of the children!

Yes I am a bit pissed off with the pitifully inaccurate media coverage we've received of late.

These precious footballers can't be expected to travel all the way to the Borders, to then represent a team from the only town in the country evil enough to vote in a Tory MP. If that isn't bad enough, they are then expected to play counter-attacking football on a terrible pitch. Won't somebody think of the children!

Yes I am a bit pissed off with the pitifully inaccurate media coverage we've received of late.

You forgot about the wrestling tactics at corners

Nobody has forced them to go down this career path, if they don't want to pursue football as a career and don't have enough money to live I'm sure queens will stand aside and allow them to leave. This is scottish football we don't have a Barcelona type budget to give these youngsters a fantastic wage, I agree if true £10 is shameful but a club with our budget it is what has been signed and AGREED by the player. If they didn't want it they could have signed elsewhere.

When some of these boy's first signed they had been told they were getting more than £10 a week only to find out at the last minute that would not be the case. Some of them had turned down other offers from clubs, so they had no option but to agree. Many have left or are leaving but this is down to another issue which has nothing to do with further education. These boys are not only used for cleaning the stadium they do coaching for the club in & out of schools & have also being used for painting, turnstiles on match days, delivering & giving out flyers etc, etc. All for £10 a week, in my opinion it is a disgrace & also morally wrong on every level.

Guest Flash

No but to have an overly biased one. A contract is a two way thing as I'm sure your aware, these boys have signed it knowing their duties and like I said if they are now disillusioned with football at this level in Scotland I'm sure queens will tear up their contract they can get a job and play for the Crichton.

Don't be ridiculous.

When was the last time Queens tore up a player's contract to allow him to go and earn more money elsewhere?

The commercial commission crew ;)

Must admit I have very limited dealings with the Commercial Dep't, certainly a lot less than many supporters, but from the outside the Commercial operations seem to be run more professionally than before. Obviously the BOD agreed salaries and commissions and are happy with that set-up. As long as the Club is making money from Commercial ventures I don't see why some fans should have a problem with it, unless of course you are implying that something underhand may be going on. Payment by commission is a standard practice in many sales jobs.

Don't be ridiculous.

When was the last time Queens tore up a player's contract to allow him to go and earn more money elsewhere?

Probably as recently as John Baird going to Falkirk, who, I'm pretty sure, are paying him more than Queens.

I'm sure the rangers manager has watched plenty of the top clubs in the World defending corners, holding, blocking runs, arms all over the place to stop the opposition and he would probably praise their tenacity, but when Queens dare to do it to his side the toys get chucked oot the pram. As others have said, his side are hardly angels when defending corners.