The Queen of the South thread

Any reports from the under 20/dev match v Ayr tonight?

Heard Mitchell or Burns might feature? Would be good to get them back into 1st team squad.

Wouldn't think many other 1st team squad would be playing with the squad looking a little light on numbers and if rumours are correctaybe another Couple of players going out on loan in the window.

According to the Mad site Ayr won 2-1. Mitchell played an hour.

However, I couldn't help but smile at somebody on the thread moaning the youngsters were not getting the chance to develop! I assume because the likes of Mitchell and Burns might get some game time tonight. You couldn't make it up.

First person that came to my mind about replacing Baird, was Paul heffernan, Hibs wanting rid and fowler knows him from killie. Always been a goalscorer bar hibs anyway

We could not afford the wages for Heffernan he will be on a really good wage at Hibs. Edited by Northfield 53

However, I couldn't help but smile at somebody on the thread moaning the youngsters were not getting the chance to develop! I assume because the likes of Mitchell and Burns might get some game time tonight. You couldn't make it up.

We've been over this on this thread before too. The 20's squad is possibly a little big as a result of it being brought together when it was expected to be a 19's league and also covering the Reserve League. The SPFL's move to do away with the Reserves, and combine the two in a 20's League which allows overage players meant getting them all enough game time would be an issue, which is why about half a dozen of them were out on Development Loans before Xmas. Two of those (Declan Hill to Crichton and Callum MacDonald to Creetown) have already been renewed and it's likely some more will go back out on Development Loan shortly to help them get football.

In fact in general we haven't abused the Development team by packing it with 1st teamers. Jim Atkinson has played most of the games (though he age qualifies and that's at least partly because Danny Armstrong has been injured pretty much all season). The likes of Salim, the two Smiths and Scott Hooper play regularly but none of those is an established first teamer either and the fact they have a squad number and train up the road doesn't change the fact they are all young players, playing at the correct level for their age. Apart from Pat Slattery prior to his going out on loan to Queen's Park, very few overage players have played much. Dzierzawski sometimes plays and I think Fowler did once. Paton, McKenna and now Mitchell have all played a game as part of their injury recoveries. I don't know if either Paton or Burns may have done tonight as I wasn't there.

At the end of the day you can't play everybody every week. Some need to bide their time and wait for their chance, learning as they go. The majority of our 20's squad, are all under 18.

We've been over this on this thread before too. The 20's squad is possibly a little big as a result of it being brought together when it was expected to be a 19's league and also covering the Reserve League. The SPFL's move to do away with the Reserves, and combine the two in a 20's League which allows overage players meant getting them all enough game time would be an issue, which is why about half a dozen of them were out on Development Loans before Xmas. Two of those (Declan Hill to Crichton and Callum MacDonald to Creetown) have already been renewed and it's likely some more will go back out on Development Loan shortly to help them get football.

In fact in general we haven't abused the Development team by packing it with 1st teamers. Jim Atkinson has played most of the games (though he age qualifies and that's at least partly because Danny Armstrong has been injured pretty much all season). The likes of Salim, the two Smiths and Scott Hooper play regularly but none of those is an established first teamer either and the fact they have a squad number and train up the road doesn't change the fact they are all young players, playing at the correct level for their age. Apart from Pat Slattery prior to his going out on loan to Queen's Park, very few overage players have played much. Dzierzawski sometimes plays and I think Fowler did once. Paton, McKenna and now Mitchell have all played a game as part of their injury recoveries. I don't know if either Paton or Burns may have done tonight as I wasn't there.

At the end of the day you can't play everybody every week. Some need to bide their time and wait for their chance, learning as they go. The majority of our 20's squad, are all under 18.

Just Mitchell played no Burns Paton or Kev U.S.A

Just Mitchell played no Burns Paton or Kev U.S.A

Good to see Mitch getting game time he will be like a new signing for Fowler, but will have to fight for his place as Dowie has done very well this season.

There's always the chance Dowie moves into the centre of we lose Durns.

No Kev surprised at that he's not getting much game time.

You assumed wrongly, I think that all the boys would realise that any first team player returning from injury will get a few run outs for the 20's, that's the way it should be. Skyline Drifter explains the position with the 20's and how it came about, however it must be frustrating for the lads that are getting no game time. Personally I can't see how they can't switch the team about from one week to the next which would keep them all on their toes. Maybe after the performance tonight there might be some changes next week.

Edited by outsider

Depending on what age you are Adamski , you might know little about him. Signed in 79 ( I think ) from Stenhousemuir and was here to about 83. Bearded Billy played in midfield and tried very hard but things didn't always/ ever come off for him ,getting absolute pelters off from the barrackers on the terraces. Poor guy must have been a masochist to put up with it.

A bit before my time, but surprised I'd not heard more about him until now.

John Pelosi was probably the first real boo-boy target of my era when he came along a few years later. I remember being quite excited when we signed him as well - purely because he'd been in the Panini sticker album the year before (so the theory went that he must have been good.)

A bit before my time, but surprised I'd not heard more about him until now.

John Pelosi was probably the first real boo-boy target of my era when he came along a few years later. I remember being quite excited when we signed him as well - purely because he'd been in the Panini sticker album the year before (so the theory went that he must have been good.)

Pelosi was a controversial figure mainly because he had been involved in a leg break incident prior to signing for Queens . The guy actually sued him and won. He was another that got a lot of stick off Queens fans. Graham Robertson I seem to recall also. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Well if Baird does sign with Falkirk today it will be the 1st time the Daily Star has got something right.

The best one was us being interested in Mike Galloway around 2 days after his serious car accident

You assumed wrongly, I think that all the boys would realise that any first team player returning from injury will get a few run outs for the 20's, that's the way it should be. Skyline Drifter explains the position with the 20's and how it came about, however it must be frustrating for the lads that are getting no game time. Personally I can't see how they can't switch the team about from one week to the next which would keep them all on their toes. Maybe after the performance tonight there might be some changes next week.

I can understand what you are saying & the thing that seems baffling is some of these lads have already told the club they are leaving at the end of the season but are still getting more game time than others, so why not look forward & play some of the other's who are committed.

As for last night it was great to see Mitchell back on the pitch again though surprised no Kev, as he only got a few minutes on Saturday. The game itself was in my opinion spoilt by very poor refereeing again, lad who got sent off for Ayr looked like the foul was originally on him & they also had a blatant penalty at 0-0. No complaints about the Queens red card as it was a shocker & in all honesty there could have been a few more due to lack of discipline. Couple of good displays for Queens & probably deserved a draw.

Guest Back Post Misses

Probably says more about your team's performance that day than it does about him.

Aye your right. The rest of the QOS team were garbage too. We were just even more garbage than you were